No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I wish/hope our country signs up to the EU pass like NZ has. I have read that some Australian travellers who went to visit family last month had problems with places not accepting the Australian vaccine certificate. We are signed up to the International that is linked to IATA which is fine for air travel and larger organisations but not helpful for general places in Europe. 

If you ask the government if/when we can have it they'll say they're "working on it" so don't expect it anytime soon.🤞

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10373017/Kiwis-Australia-banned-trying-enter-New-Zealand-FOUR-MONTHS.html

No chance. Even New Zealanders like me living in OZ can't even apply for a place to get chance to get home. 

So I can't see them having any cruising this year. Maybe when the country broke they might reconsider.

I am now feeling much less confident about our December cruise.  With the surge in Covid cases in Australia I can't see our govt letting cruise ships in at the moment.   I am not trying to be a smug Kiwi, I know that we too will likely have an Omicron outbreak in the very near future.  It is the opposite of being smug - our health system has been so underfunded for the last thirty years that we will struggle to cope and I think ongoing border controls will be part of trying to control numbers.  I estimate the probability of our Dec Aus-NZ cruise at 30% at present.  Bother.

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I am now feeling much less confident about our December cruise.  With the surge in Covid cases in Australia I can't see our govt letting cruise ships in at the moment.   I am not trying to be a smug Kiwi, I know that we too will likely have an Omicron outbreak in the very near future.  It is the opposite of being smug - our health system has been so underfunded for the last thirty years that we will struggle to cope and I think ongoing border controls will be part of trying to control numbers.  I estimate the probability of our Dec Aus-NZ cruise at 30% at present.  Bother.

December 2022?  If Australia resumes domestic cruises this year there is a high likelyhood.

I'm fairly sure the U.S. is putting up the CPI in the next few days and the Fed have accepted inflation has arrived, which will signal the drastic requirement for each country to get back on with generating income rather than endlessly telling its citizens not to do things.

Not sure what the US CPI has to do with anything.  Also, a government does not "put up" a CPI.  The CPI is a measure of the price changes in a basket of goods and services and thus is a measure of inflation.  A government may make changes to their monetary policy in response to changes in inflation.  For example, the Reserve Bank of NZ will make changes to the OCR (Official Cash Rate) to tighten the money supply in response to increased inflation.  But I digress....

It may well be that Australia will open their borders to cruise ships but with NZ's cautious response I am less confident that our government will be quick to rescind our Maritime Border Order.  I am simply not as confident as I was before, given our government's cautious approach and the state of our hospitals at present.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Big announcement today re our general border reopening timetable Covid-19: Border reopening for New Zealanders confirmed for end of February - what you need to know | RNZ News 

No mention of cruising that I heard (I didn't hear the  whole conference too busy booking flights out). But I would think that October might be a reasonable guess for cruises 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lissie said:

Big announcement today re our general border reopening timetable Covid-19: Border reopening for New Zealanders confirmed for end of February - what you need to know | RNZ News 

No mention of cruising that I heard (I didn't hear the  whole conference too busy booking flights out). But I would think that October might be a reasonable guess for cruises 

Yes, our ABC is reporting that Australians can travel to NZ quarantine free by July and that the border will fully reopen to all visitors from October.

Will that mean cruise ships will be allowed to visit?  🤔 I certainly hope so. 😉

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I certainly can't find any reference to cruising. A lot of talk about arrivals having to self isolate  and RATs on arrival which will be reviewed as time goes by. So I suppose will await further information.

Only unvaccinated will go into quarantine.

46 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Yes, our ABC is reporting that Australians can travel to NZ quarantine free by July and that the border will fully reopen to all visitors from October.

Will that mean cruise ships will be allowed to visit?  🤔 I certainly hope so. 😉

The July date is not firm - that's a latest date - may come earlier -  if we have higher case numbers then the July and October days will be brought forward. 

There was zero mention of cruise ships - I don't think they will be before phase 5 (the current last one) . Also almost all of our cruising starts from Oct/Nov 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Did you get flights out which you wanted?  You were certainly ready!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you get flights out which you wanted?  You were certainly ready!

Oh yes -   I'd already bought most of the flights to link the flights in my sig together, but I wanted certainty before I booked the non-refundable NZ-Hawaii leg. 

16 hours ago, lissie said:

Oh yes -   I'd already bought most of the flights to link the flights in my sig together, but I wanted certainty before I booked the non-refundable NZ-Hawaii leg. 

Bon Voyage for your cruises.  Looks like a great b2b cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this  will help allow cruising .Spotted this on the news,forget Barry Manilow just watch the video.  ( Edit )Just realised this was mentioned  in earlier post.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-new-zealand-update-barry-manilow-songs-played-to-disperse-protesters/39d6b5a0-d4b2-45dc-8e88-4df57ab69ee4

Cheers John

Edited by JohnGc
Mentioned in earlier post

5 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

Debate me:

there will be no cruise ships in NZ if Aus don’t agree a cruise restart date.

There is no debate. It is obvious that there will be no cruise ships in NZ if Aust doesn't agree to a cruise re-start date. I think it is also likely that cruising will start in Australia before NZ.

• Like 1

Australia will be much more willing to recommence cruising than New Zealand.

New Zealand has already announced that rest of world (apart from Australian citizens, who will follow NZ citizens and residents into the country from around July) will be allowed entry from October, 2022. Obviously, they're not going to welcome ships cruising from Australia to NZ who have people other than Aust or NZ citizens and residents on board.

Australia will get cruising going as soon as the eastern states agree on a plan. I notice this morning The Guardian is reporting Morrison as saying they're 'lifting' the cruise ban and that the states can make their own decisions (more semantics - does that mean it's in train? or is it polispeak for 'I want you to get the impression it's being done' - I assume the latter). He's done a neat hand pass to the states to sort it out.

Next summer - 2022-2023 for NZ cruising at the earliest IMO. Assuming the world doesn't go further towards hell in its little handbasket than it already is. 

Anyway, Australia and New Zealand will do their own thing on this. NZ being much more conservative than Australia as we've already had and having, rampant infections.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Are you happy with credit or did you want a refund?

The trip was purchased with credit from a trip cancelled 4/20. I should be able to rebook, that is if NZ open up, eventually.

Edited by lyndarra
clarity

31 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Australia will be much more willing to recommence cruising than New Zealand.

New Zealand has already announced that rest of world (apart from Australian citizens, who will follow NZ citizens and residents into the country from around July) will be allowed entry from October, 2022. Obviously, they're not going to welcome ships cruising from Australia to NZ who have people other than Aust or NZ citizens and residents on board.

Australia will get cruising going as soon as the eastern states agree on a plan. I notice this morning The Guardian is reporting Morrison as saying they're 'lifting' the cruise ban and that the states can make their own decisions (more semantics - does that mean it's in train? or is it polispeak for 'I want you to get the impression it's being done' - I assume the latter). He's done a neat hand pass to the states to sort it out.

Next summer - 2022-2023 for NZ cruising at the earliest IMO. Assuming the world doesn't go further towards hell in its little handbasket than it already is. 

Anyway, Australia and New Zealand will do their own thing on this. NZ being much more conservative than Australia as we've already had and having, rampant infections.

Has the Federal Govt lifted the ban or do they plan to lift the ban?  Once Federal Govt lifts the ban, cruise ships will be able to come to Australia.  The Federal Govt limited the number of passengers to 100 on small ships, so they have kept cruising.