Update Oct 11th: Princess to have Mobile on-site Testing at a Cost...

LACruiser88

On 10/12/2021 at 4:27 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

And here lies the rub.  I've had to test before flying to Hawaii under the 72 hour limit.  Test results have always showed up before my departure.  BUT, BUT, BUT...you have to take into consideration when the PCR sample is picked up.  Where it is sent to be processed.  Labs "require" a 24 hour turn around time.  2 days for a regular PCR test is very risky unless they are done in-house (as in Walmart/Quest partnership).  

For now, I will locate and pay for a rapid antigen test (cheaper than a rapid PCR/NAAT test) just to get on a ship.  I just don't understand why CVS has dropped their 12 day appointment schedule for rapid antigen tests.  That worked really well and averted a lot of stress.  

Like the Medallion Class App, this too will pass.  It is something we have to live with, for now.

Walmart is done in house? Do you know if this is at all Walmart locations?

12 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Walmart is done in house? Do you know if this is at all Walmart locations?

Rapid tests (CVS) are done with a small machine in-house.  Walgreens only offers regular PCR tests that are sent out to a lab, sometimes out of state (unless you go to the Walgreens for a rapid test near Las Vegas/Yuma). 

I do not know if Walgreens is in-house.  I am guessing not. I have not looked into Walmart.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Rapid tests (CVS) are done with a small machine in-house.  Walgreens only offers regular PCR tests that are sent out to a lab, sometimes out of state (unless you go to the Walgreens for a rapid test near Las Vegas/Yuma). 

I do not know if Walgreens is in-house.  I am guessing not. I have not looked into Walmart.

@cr8tiv1thank you.  I will call CVS.  I’ve had two tests at Walgreens and the waiting would drive me crazy before my cruise.

28 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@cr8tiv1thank you.  I will call CVS.  I’ve had two tests at Walgreens and the waiting would drive me crazy before my cruise.

Calling CVS is a study in circles.  They couldn't help me (CVS hotline, Minute Clinic, Pharmacy, etc).  Someone posted that San Diego/Escondido was starting to open up rapid antigen testing.  By shear luck, I managed to snag a rapid antigen test after my flight back to California.  I wanted to be sure I didn't catch anything while away AND I wanted to talk to a technician.  Found the appointment at 1:07 AM for the next day....  Haven't found one since.  

I have given up and made an appointment with someone who takes insurance and will give me the test for a small fee.

So help me out here with some strategy.  We're flying out early on a Tuesday.  Our cruise leaves on a Thursday.  If I understand the timing correctly, this means that we have to get our tests done in San Fran (port)  since our flights are quite early and I can't imagine any clinic is open at 5am.  

We aren't renting a car, but I suspect Uber, etc is always an option (even a cab?)  but what's the best option for us?  I suspect we're not the only ones in this situation.  

TIA

Your best bet is to take the test on Tuesday.  I just checked CVS 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing 

and they have lots of openings in the San Francisco area.  But I am not familiar with the city.  I would book one as soon as possible.

Your other option is to take the test at/or near SFO.  That one, you would most likely have to pay for.  

Much has been written regarding tests are free for California residents.  I'm not sure if this is a Federal or state policy.  Considering that Medicare will pay for it, I am thinking Federal.  

Make sure you are signing up for a Rapid Antigen or Rapid PCR/NAAT test.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@hpeabody I passed that CVS three times today.   I am glad you had such a positive result.  I am not as trustworthy.  I will pay a $25 administration fee from a site 14 miles away to get a rapid antigen test.  Still hoping Buena Park CVS will once again have rapid tests between now and when I need it.

You may not be trusting, but I am sure that you are trustworthy.

Can someone explain to me why Princess gives complimentary covid test in UK but does not in US or Canada.

I am from Canada and the Pharmacies are charging 199 for covid travel test with same day results.

I believe Princess mobile testing in US ports is 150.00. US.

That is a considerable amount of money to add to the cost of the cruise especially when you can get a no charge covid test in Canada  at the clinics but will not guarantee same day results .

We are leaving Dec 11 out of San Pedro (california), we live 40 miles from port.  I have been researching where to get our Covid Test.

local CVS and Walgreens both said that getting results back in 2 days is a hit and miss.  No guarantees.

Today my Husband and I went to Walgreens to get our Covid Booster shot and while there, we heard two different people asking about getting the results back in time to satisfy the airline, cruise line, etc.

I came home and sent email to Princess asking why they were "partners" with CVS, Walgreens, etc. if they can not provide the results in the 2-day requirement.  

I would be willing pay for the Covid test at the pier, for a reasonable price ($150 is not reasonable), but they state that they have limited tests

I tried to call my dr to see if they would write a perscription for us to get rapid covid test, but as luck would have it, they do not answer their phone.  

No one is making this easy

If I hear back from Princess, I will post their answer here

3 hours ago, awinte2 said:

Princess mobile testing in US ports is 150.00. US.

That is a considerable amount of money to add to the cost of the cruise

I pay an average of 3k per cruise (solos pay double, I won't book less than a balcony now bc of Diamond & Grand). So if I cannot book a free test online at Minute Clinic or County, if I cannot buy the Abbott test at $35, then I'm going to pay an additional 5% to cruise. 

@roxievegasdid you go online and try to book an appointment at CVS Minute Clinic for the rapid antigen test? I found 5 sites near Long Beach. Takes about an hour if they are busy and I found appointments as early as this afternoon 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you @caribill for thinking that, I Am trustworthy.

A comma makes a difference 🙂

Not to be picky, I say as I'm being picky. But it should be a semicolon if written as above. 😃

1 hour ago, roxievegas said:

We are leaving Dec 11 out of San Pedro (california), we live 40 miles from port.  I have been researching where to get our Covid Test.

local CVS and Walgreens both said that getting results back in 2 days is a hit and miss.  No guarantees.

Today my Husband and I went to Walgreens to get our Covid Booster shot and while there, we heard two different people asking about getting the results back in time to satisfy the airline, cruise line, etc.

I came home and sent email to Princess asking why they were "partners" with CVS, Walgreens, etc. if they can not provide the results in the 2-day requirement.  

I would be willing pay for the Covid test at the pier, for a reasonable price ($150 is not reasonable), but they state that they have limited tests

I tried to call my dr to see if they would write a perscription for us to get rapid covid test, but as luck would have it, they do not answer their phone.  

No one is making this easy

If I hear back from Princess, I will post their answer here

Hi, if you live in Trabuco Canyon you can be tested here with results in 45 minutes. You can make an appointment now. I have one for Saturday and Nov. 27th. If it doesn't work Sat. I will post back. Good luck.

Clinic Details
16300 Sand Canyon Ave. Located in the parking lot of Hoag Hospital Irvine
info@orangecountycovidclinic.com
949.518.9877 mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftrack.smtpsendemail.com%2F9067349%2Fo%3Fp%3DfFeucayxG7sw35yKh1CV6xyyvCh2kHrwmGEW1Kcje8B1d83digU_DU27eb6lV8HLSxJ4KU8evsGDu3qDMeIesG-hcj4zMoc-VdPCkW2ZPgU%3D&t=1634249380&ymreqid=d35e9f31-8828-651e-2f2c-5a000d018c00&sig=Ko0GAsTQYhMmw2DJgGLYIA--~D

8 hours ago, awinte2 said:

Can someone explain to me why Princess gives complimentary covid test in UK but does not in US or Canada.

I am from Canada and the Pharmacies are charging 199 for covid travel test with same day results.

I believe Princess mobile testing in US ports is 150.00. US.

That is a considerable amount of money to add to the cost of the cruise especially when you can get a no charge covid test in Canada  at the clinics but will not guarantee same day results .

You are writing about a PCR test at that price level.  You do not need a PCR test to travel to USA or for Princess.  A Rapid Antigen test suffices for both and you can get for reasonable cost at many Shopper's locations. 

Princess will test you for free to return to Canada.  This is where you need PCR - which is well over-the-top for fully-vaccinated and may change soon.  How are Canadians going to access USA for short trips now that land border will open very soon when a 3-day PCR is the norm?  

Anyway, you can get tested to fly out and cruise for much less than you quoted.  Just don't get a PCR.

thank you for information regarding locations.  I will check out both - the Hoag Hospital location is the easier for us to get to, but we don't leave for 56 days (i think), so I may have to wait for appt.

My biggest beef is that Princess has agreements with CVS and Walgreens (as per their website) and you can't get tested for what is required.  And the personnel at both Stores were not helpful at all - really acted bothered by our questions regarding getting the tests and finding locations that would do the tests

• Like 1

Thankyou Steelers 36 for the info.  They are opening the land borders from US to Canada on Nov8 but Canada still insists for a covid test to get back into Canada.  I understand that we need to be careful but that will certainly prevent a lot of people crossing for a day or two.

Have to make final payment end of November and have not booked any airfare yet as I am not sure I want to go to all the aggravation and expense of tests and the protocol rules on the ships.

Hopefully will not be required before or if  I sail in February.

18 hours ago, CruzDayz said:

Hi, if you live in Trabuco Canyon you can be tested here with results in 45 minutes. You can make an appointment now. I have one for Saturday and Nov. 27th. If it doesn't work Sat. I will post back. Good luck.

Clinic Details
16300 Sand Canyon Ave. Located in the parking lot of Hoag Hospital Irvine
info@orangecountycovidclinic.com
949.518.9877 mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftrack.smtpsendemail.com%2F9067349%2Fo%3Fp%3DfFeucayxG7sw35yKh1CV6xyyvCh2kHrwmGEW1Kcje8B1d83digU_DU27eb6lV8HLSxJ4KU8evsGDu3qDMeIesG-hcj4zMoc-VdPCkW2ZPgU%3D&t=1634249380&ymreqid=d35e9f31-8828-651e-2f2c-5a000d018c00&sig=Ko0GAsTQYhMmw2DJgGLYIA--~D

I just went on line and booked an appointment for myself and husband.  I will check back here on Sat. Nov 27th to see if you had any problems.  It was a pain with downloading the copies of drivers license, medical cards, but we do have the appt.

thank you for the info and I hope it goes smooth for you.

11 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

I just went on line and booked an appointment for myself and husband.  I will check back here on Sat. Nov 27th to see if you had any problems.  It was a pain with downloading the copies of drivers license, medical cards, but we do have the appt.

thank you for the info and I hope it goes smooth for you.

Good for you . I'm actually going tomorrow at 1:00 for my Grand cruise, and I'm going Nov. for a RCCL cruise. I should have told you that I first took photos of my cards on my phone and then uploaded the photos. It was much easier.

Associated question. When getting PCR test at end of cruise , on pier after debarkation,  can you then leave for the airport to fly home to Canada, or must you wait the hour(?) to get your results at the site?  Flight leaves Lax at 12:15. Will we make it? Plan on Uber  to get there.