The Daily for Saturday October 16, 2021

richwmn

Today is Dictionary Day, Sweetest Day, and Global Cat Day

Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top. - Edward Abbey

Meal suggestion for today - Black Bean Soup

Drink of the Day - French 75

Wine of the day - Massican 2019 Sauvignon Blanc (Napa Valley) Napa

Destination of the Day - Safaga Egypt

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam

Ensenada
Koningsdam Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 17:00

Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Ionian Sea
Volendam Destination Augusta IT eta 10/17

At Sea North Sea
Rotterdam Destination Amsterdam eta 10/17

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 10/17
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 10/18

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

1016world.thumb.png.e4c45ecf3cf72b38c78d15023f89a110.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

On 10/14/2021 at 7:44 AM, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report!

FYI - going to have issues posting here today. CC not working correctly in MS Edge.  

Is this you returning to real life? 

Edge.thumb.JPG.ac7e10dc21d4ecc294245856f4f91b64.JPG

Welcome home.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich for the Saturday (and also Hump day for October) Daily.  Cheers to all 3 days, google has kind of become the modern dictionary.  I like the Abbey quote.  Been to Safaga just once, on Silver Whisper, and it's the jumping off point for the Valley of the Kings.  I'll pass on the Black Bean Soup.  My alternative is Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast and Blackberry Sundae as served on MS Amsterdam October 16, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes151.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Sam’s half vaccinated care giver
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
Safe travels for Quartzite Cruiser
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results at Oncologist Oct 20
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy / NextOne,12cruise2/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, lindaler, and lazey1  at sea
5 days for Gail&Marty and Rotterdam
Progress on Seasick Sailor’s renovation
1 day for Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS)
Welcome home Ger_77
Boosters recommended for J&J and Moderna
New Captain Albert entries
Eurodam Shore Excursion Manager
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all!

Between my various electronic devices not working on CC and being busy (just got back from trip to Branson last night) I have mostly lurked the last days. Couldn’t sleep this AM so got up, made some coffee and doing some cuddling with Mr. Fritz (who snores gently).  I can hear a train whistle in the distance, always a kind of lonely sound at this hour. 

Thank you Rich for your faithful posting each morning and to Roy for our cares and concerns list and to the food & beverage department.

Of the days, I probably celebrate Dictionary Day the most. I love words and hardly a day goes by that I don’t look up a word. So handy to have multiple dictionaries right here on my IPad. In honor of Global Cat Day I will give a shout-out to my grandcat Iggy who has a schizophrenic relationship with me, alternating between laying on my lap and attacking my ankles when I walk by. 

I love black bean soup, curious about the drink, love a nice Sauvignon blanc. Haven’t been to today’s destination, excited for any pictures.

Prayers for all those on our concern list 🙏. Asking for some extra prayers for my friend with the liver transplant. He returned home almost two weeks ago and neither his wife nor daughter has posted an update which is not like them. I don’t want to call if this is a bad time. I’m hoping he’s just super busy with rehab. Also a friend from my ALS support group lost his battle. He was 11 years younger than me; when I think of all the fantastic trips I’ve experienced these last 11 years, my heart weeps for everything Steve missed while fighting this horrible disease. Prayers for his wife Carolyn who was a battle angel for him. There is much to celebrate as well 🥂and for that I am grateful.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

p.s. The grandcat in a favorite photo

A62D4CE8-34DD-482E-920A-2450CC9A4506.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm a little slow this morning, I slept in, haven't done that in ages.🙂

Great collection of days.  I often need a dictionary.  I'll share Sweetest Day with my Sweetie.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, not a fan of black beans, but maybe a new recipe will tempt me to give them another chance.

I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have  a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning.  Love using a "real" dictionary.  Helps my brain function.  My sweetie wished me a Happy Sweetest Day this morning.  And you all know I love my cat.

Will pass on the meal.  Love the quote.

Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

French 75:

French 75 is a cocktail made from gin, champagne, lemon juice, and sugar. It is also called a 75 Cocktail, or in French simply a Soixante Quinze. The drink dates to World War I, and an early form was created in 1915 at the New York Bar in Paris—later Harry's New York Bar—by barman Harry MacElhone. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Champagne
Ingredients: 1 oz Gin, 1/2 oz Lemon juice, 2 Dashes Simple syrup, 2 oz Champagne
Preparation: Combine gin, syrup, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into an iced champagne glass. Top up with Champagne. Stir gently.
Drinkware: Champagne flute
Served: Straight up; without ice

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.27.36 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  We don’t celebrate Sweetest Day so I had to look it up :  Sweetest Day is a holiday that is celebrated in the Midwestern United States, parts of the Northeastern United States, and in Florida on the third Saturday in October. It is a day to share romantic deeds or expressions, and acts of charity and kindness.  I’ll happily celebrate acts of charity and kindness.

Global cat day is celebrated by many 🙂 Some people go to extaordinary measures to protect their feline friends 😉 

2FD88125-EFFE-42A1-AED1-74772A189838.thumb.jpeg.584deef745df4aee0b57a13fa77fd355.jpeg

Love the quote.  It seems all to true these days.  DH would love the menu for today.  If the recipe looks like an easy one with items on hand, I may consider making it for him (I’ll pass).  Nice to see a white on the list today and look forward to the description.

@St. Louis Salprayers winging their way for your friend with the liver transplant 🙏🏻 Hoping he is just busy with rehab 🤞 So sorry to hear about your friend’s passing in your ALS support group 😢 🙏🏻  

I’m feeling a little ( a little?) sore and weary this morning after all the work yesterday.  

F76499D8-ACB6-45C0-9FE1-B2C8BBC5A290.thumb.jpeg.90138e990ab3afc6906d75c84abd2254.jpeg

But all the planters but a very few have been emptied and the dahlias, cannas & callas are on the deck.  My back was too sore to bend over and pick them up to rinse them off yesterday.

AAF64F74-78D7-47FF-B1FB-F5B44D86C343.thumb.jpeg.e0412859ce7652386ed46a0595b5d267.jpeg

Since it’s supposed to rain and not be too cold - I decided to let the rain wash them off 😉  It was pretty miserable in the morning to work but it’s just going to get colder so when the sun came out, I decided to persevere.

33064BD0-CD90-40A7-97B2-2AF0E0F13A25.thumb.jpeg.0ee4681009da2a1db5c5387808b62b90.jpeg

There’s lots more to do garden wise but I got a big dent in it and can fake a couple of hours at a time here and there in the cooler weather 👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday, everyone 🙂 

4914BDD9-ABAE-44E6-BF4A-5D427F4709F0.thumb.jpeg.0bb5ea2cdeb735ead4c17c66e24ca149.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Great collection of days!

BDDBDB83-0DCA-4468-90BB-9AA293B3E1F2.jpeg.2f24db218db145ecce47499e5a771269.jpeg

Boy is that quote accurate!  It’s a very foggy, coolish morning here.  And @StLouisCruisers, Sandi - my cold water was almost cold this morning!

I could hear the roar of motorcycles on 95 as they leave the area after Biketoberfest. Let’s hope most were vaccinated and all were COVID-19 free.   This evening I am having dinner at a neighbor’s. Looking forward to getting to know my newest neighbors better. Hoping my tweaked Apple-cranberry Oatmeal Crumble tastes as good as the un-tweaked version. 

Out to the garden after coffee. And a nice walk is in Bindi’s future. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Massican 2019 Sauvignon Blanc

This Napa white wine looks great. Some interesting descriptions- such as “crunchy”, too. Both the 2019 and 2020 vintages have excellent ratings, so try whichever one you find. I found several online distributors with prices for the 2019 starting at $27.99.

Winemaker Notes

#20 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Inspired by the Sauvignon wines of northern Italy, our Sauvignon Blanc pays homage to the tart and delicious every day wine workhorse of the region of Friuli. While it is difficult to recreate these specific Italian wines anywhere else in the world, Sauvignon is our California interpretation of these great Italian white wines. The grapes for this wine are farmed at two vineyards in Napa Valley where the temperatures are both the warmest during the day and the coolest at night. That diversity helps us produce a wine of intensity and freshness, and as such we tip-our-Sauvignon-hat to our fellow winemakers in northeast Italy.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast

This is winemaker Dan Petroski's nod to the Sauvignons of northern Italy. Lemony and sleek, it conjures notes of wet stone, brine and complex, layered acidity, with a lasting tease of green apple and lemongrass.
WS92 Wine Spectator

Opens with white pepper, lemon zest and orange blossom notes that are as fragrant as they are intense and focused, revealing a sleek, crisp acidity that makes all the flavors pop. A mouthwatering mix that finishes with satisfying mineral details. Drink now.

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Sauvignon Blanc opens with notes of gunflint, fleshing out to kiwi, white peaches, fresh green herbs and baker's yeast. The light-bodied palate is bright, juicy and lively with crunchy, mineral-laced fruits and a long, uplifted finish.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all...thanks for the daily.  Thanks as well to all who faithfully post and share pieces of their travels and life with us all...love this community.

Trying to catch up (and catch my breath!) after a long week of work.

• Like 20

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report.  Nice collection of days, I love using the dictionary, Oxford Concise and Webster’s are my go-tos.  I think the quote is good advice.  Not a huge fan of black bean soup so probably a pass today.  The drink sounds nice though.  I await the photos of today’s port as I have not been.  Prayers for @St. Louis Sal’s friend Steve on his final journey and for his family and friends’ loss as well as for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.  Enjoy your Saturday, it’s sushi for lunch at our favorite restaurant!

• Like 20

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

I was surprised to read that Sweetest Day is a Midwestern thing! When I was way younger, my father would tell me that morning that it was Sweetest Day. I guess I never planned ahead. So I would gather some of my allowance, run to the corner drugstore, and buy a big (to me!) Hershey bar for my mother. 

• Like 22

Good afternoon from a cold 40°F and cloudy North East coast of England.

Thank you Rich and Roy for all your hard work in keeping the Daily an extremely interesting read every day.

Important days especially the recognition for cats who are euthenised in large numbers all over the world.

Nice wine of the day but not keen on the food.

Strange quote today.

Today's port is one we have not visited so photos are eagerly anticipated.

Prayers for everyone who will benefit from them.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211016_132254.jpg

Screenshot_20211016_132228.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Between my various electronic devices not working on CC and being busy (just got back from trip to Branson last night) I have mostly lurked the last days. Couldn’t sleep this AM so got up, made some coffee and doing some cuddling with Mr. Fritz (who snores gently).  I can hear a train whistle in the distance, always a kind of lonely sound at this hour. 

Thank you Rich for your faithful posting each morning and to Roy for our cares and concerns list and to the food & beverage department.

Of the days, I probably celebrate Dictionary Day the most. I love words and hardly a day goes by that I don’t look up a word. So handy to have multiple dictionaries right here on my IPad. In honor of Global Cat Day I will give a shout-out to my grandcat Iggy who has a schizophrenic relationship with me, alternating between laying on my lap and attacking my ankles when I walk by. 

I love black bean soup, curious about the drink, love a nice Sauvignon blanc. Haven’t been to today’s destination, excited for any pictures.

Prayers for all those on our concern list 🙏. Asking for some extra prayers for my friend with the liver transplant. He returned home almost two weeks ago and neither his wife nor daughter has posted an update which is not like them. I don’t want to call if this is a bad time. I’m hoping he’s just super busy with rehab. Also a friend from my ALS support group lost his battle. He was 11 years younger than me; when I think of all the fantastic trips I’ve experienced these last 11 years, my heart weeps for everything Steve missed while fighting this horrible disease. Prayers for his wife Carolyn who was a battle angel for him. There is much to celebrate as well 🥂and for that I am grateful.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

p.s. The grandcat in a favorite photo

A62D4CE8-34DD-482E-920A-2450CC9A4506.jpeg

Prayers for your friend and his family after the liver transplant and condolences for the sad loss of your friend Steve and his family.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good Saturday morning friends!  We were up and at the gym before dawn.  Back home cooling down and ate my breakfast.  Before anything else I have to read the Daily!  Thank you Rich for posting it and doing all the research each day.  Thanks to Roy for keeping the lists and posting the sunrise photo.  Prayers for our Care list, and let me add my condolences @St. Louis Sal's friend Steve who passed with ALS, also your liver transplant friend.  I hope he is doing better and not worse as you fear.  Prayers for all.🙏 

Interesting set of days to celebrate.  Dictionaries, cats and Sweetest Day.  Black bean soup is okay but not my favorite type.  I have not been to Safaga yet but it is on an upcoming cruise so it will be nice to see some photos here.

@kazuyour fall clean up and stowing away of plants looks like back breaking work.  I'm glad you appreciate the plants so highly which makes it worthwhile.  @cat shepardit must be quite cool if your water is colder now!  I haven't noticed that yet here.  It was 65 overnight here and that's still warmish.

We have new owners across the street from us but they don't seem to be moving in very fast.  They come over several times a week with a car load of items, or yesterday they showed up in a rented Penske cargo van with some boxes and dining room chairs which they stowed in the garage instead of their dining room.  I keep expecting a moving van but not yet.  

Meanwhile neighbor Damon who had back surgery in July and has been in rehab since then may be planning on selling his home and moving.  Several of his daughters, a grandson, and a nephew of his came over yesterday and were working inside the house to get it ready to sell.  One of the triplet daughters told DH about Damon's plan to sell now.  We're sorry to hear of it but it's really for the best.  I hope he will live with one of his 9 children (!!).  But that will make 3 homes in a row across the street from us that will be sold with new neighbors!  Do you think it's us that's the problem?  😄  I hope not!  DH still picks up the mail each day and keeps it for someone to come by and get for Damon.  That's been going on for about 25 months now.  I tell DH he's getting his "steps" in every day by helping out.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!  

• Like 24

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was warm and beautiful. Today we’re supposed to get a lot of rain towards evening and then tomorrow it will cool off.

Lunch out yesterday was wonderful. Beautiful garden and great food. 
Stay safe everyone,

Caro

• Like 24

Good morning, everyone!  

It is going to be a rainy day here and quite cool.  Expected high is mid 50s.   My kind of weather without the rain.  

I love black bean soup, but the carb count is pretty high.   I would have to go with a cup instead of a bowl.   There is a restaurant near me that has Cuban black bean soup on the menu and I get it every time I go there.  Mmmm good and healthy to boot.

Many black bean soups are vegetarian in nature although you can add some sausage to them. This first one is a vegan recipe:  https://cookieandkate.com/spicy-vegan-black-bean-soup/

1669319993_blackbeansoup.thumb.jpg.dca3e2d7873d4a4a7ba7fc86270c3acb.jpg

This next one can be a vegetarian recipe if you use vegetable broth.   I would leave out the carrots, but some of you may like them.   https://www.inspiredtaste.net/44744/black-bean-soup/

984430670_BlackBeanSoup2.thumb.jpg.c73e8c0c45e3fe235e0198904682eb67.jpg

And, Emeril gives us his recipe for Cuban black bean soup.   https://www.emerils.com/127599/cuban-black-bean-soup

394824337_Cubanblackbeansoup.jpg.b8a33fbe0cd08d62ee989e8817e710fc.jpgTh

This laptop is telling me to update my browser.  I'm afraid if I do that I won't be able to post here on CC.   I think I am leaving well enough alone for now.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the update.

No news yet on schedule for the biopsy., I thought I would get a call yesterday, the waiting is the hard part. 
      My fur babies say every day is cat day , we just celebrated with some nipper🎉

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 🙏❤️

• Like 23