The Daily for Saturday October 16, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon from New Mexico.   We travelled further than originally planned.  In fact, we coverd today’s and tomorrow’s itinerary today.  We were making good time with a tail wind and decided to take advantage of it.  Tomorrow, depending when we get on the road, we may make to to Quartzsite.  If not, it will be mid-morning Monday.

i have been reading the Daily off and on as we went down the  road.

It’s another interesting collection of days; all of which are worthy of celebrating.  We had cats for years until old age intervened.  I have enjoyed all the cat pictures and memes.

The quote is very true, especially  now.

We’ll pass on the drink and the wine.  I like black bean soup, and since I found a recipe for Cuban black beans, DH has enjoyed them.

We stopped in Safaga in 2003 on the old Regal Princess mystery cruise.  Unfortunately, after suffering from Delhi belly due to the tour company refilling and resealing the water bottles on our Taj Mahal overland tour, we had to cancel the overland tour to the Valley of the Kings.  It’s still on the bucket list.  Thank you all who posted pictures.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I started having the same login problem on my tablet yesterday. I have not tried it today since CC is working on my iPad.

@St. Louis Sal  My condolences on the loss of your friend from your support group.  Sending good thoughts that your friend with the liver transplant and his family are busy with rehab.

@rafinmd  Enjoy the symphony tonight.

@richwmn  Rich, great news about your refund.

@1ANGELCAT  Hope your wait is not too long as that’s the worst part.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Another great print.  It will be interesting to see Chilliwack in the movie.

@bennybear  Interesting looking jalapeños.

@cruzn single  Hope you get your meds straightened out soon.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I've lived in Florida for over 50 years - I've never heard of Sweetest Day. Maybe it's only certain parts of Florida. It's not well advertised - that's for sure. 🙄

The Sweetest people are near the Coast. Everyone knows that. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Saturday!  And to those who are the servants of cats, Happy Cat Day.  Where I am living now, I can't have pets, so I just love all the animal pictures and stories!

My favorite dictionary story is when I was quite young.  I would ask how to spell something and my Dad would always say, "Look it up in the dictionary!"  Well, if I didn't know how to spelll it how was that going to help???  Actually it did, because I really got to practice my phonics.

I always think of one very special Cuban restaurant that used to be in Orlando when I think of black bean soup.  They made the best.  That is also where I developed a love of GOOD Cuban sandwiches.  Somehow I have never had a good one since we left Orlando.

Thanks to someone who posted that HAL was making final payment day only 60 days out.  I checked and now my final payment is due December 1, instead of November 1.  With some other expenses I have coming up it means I won't have to hit the savings so hard!

I got my nebulizer and all the new meds came yesterday.  Not sure how it is going to work, since one of the meds can't be used in conjunction with 3 of my bp or heart medications.  I will be talking to the doctor on Monday.  It is no fun to try to figure out medical issues!

There is snow on some of the "mountains" around here.  Naturally none here in the high desert.  But the good news is that we are within 6/10" below of our annual precipitation average.  

Have a great day everyone!

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I bet we are thinking about the same Cuban restaurant in Orlando.

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  A special thanks to Kay for the great photos of Luxor.  @kb4683

@St. Louis Sal so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Steve,  and hope your friend with the transplant is doing ok. 

@1ANGELCAT the waiting is the toughest!  Hopefully you’ll know soon.  
@kazu what a ton of work!  Can’t believe fall is here, seems to fly by.  
@ger_77 is Saskatchewan giving the high dose?   I had mine with no ill effects this week  and pneumonia shot last week.  Now just waiting on the booster.

So glad to hear the US land border is finally opening for Canadians. 

Some purple jalapeños,  still waiting on the black pearls🤷‍♀️😂

080900D4-1423-4457-B281-6B2A26B52DEF.jpeg

I am not a fan of jalapenos, but these are beautiful.

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Some good news for today!

I have felt for some time that I was missing some refund / FCC money from HAL. Well, I got someone on the phone Wednesday that promised to look into it and email me, hopefully by the end of the week. I got the email yesterday afternoon and had a chance to look closely at it this morning.

On July 16th HAL refunded a substantial amount back to the gift cards that had been used to pay. That fact was in the email I received, but I wasn't notified that the refund had been made. I checked the card balances and it is there!

Just a few more (little?) things and I will be done with the refund process - I hope - and happy with the result.

That is awesome news!

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I will likely be very late posting tomorrow.  I am subscribed to 2 series with the Baltimore Symphony.  Last Saturday was an innovation of Maestra Emeritus Marin Alsop called "Off the Cuff" which was a combination of a single work preceded by an introduction of the piece with several brief excerpts included, and then the full work.  It started an hour earlier than the other series and was shorter in duration so I got home fairly early.  Today is a pops concert honoring the music of John Williams and will likely finish about 90 minutes later than last week's program so I'll be home pretty late.

Roy

How exciting! I'm envious. Enjoy.

• Like 12

Well, we are on our way back to Florida after receiving a call from DD, who lives in the Orlando area, to tell us DSIL tested positive and she has symptoms. The plan is for us to take our two year old DGS to my DMIL'S. (She is in IN until Saturday.) We understand that Leo, DGS, has been exposed and could already be carrying it and we will get him tested, but we feel it's important to remove him from the house. This will also give his parents the ability to rest without having parental duties.

All positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for all the Daily reports, photos and humour.  For us, every day is cat day, she seems to become more demanding in her old age!!

@St. Louis Salcondolences on the loss of your support group friend.  Hope your friend who had the liver transplant is doing well. 

Best wishes to all with health problems.

Yesterday was nation wide Super Saturday  "vaxathon" day, PM hoping  that 100,000 Pfizer vaccinations would be given, that target was exceeded so very pleasing.

It's a partly cloudy day, temperature 20 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

Well, we are on our way back to Florida after receiving a call from DD, who lives in the Orlando area, to tell us DSIL tested positive and she has symptoms. The plan is for us to take our two year old DGS to my DMIL'S. (She is in IN until Saturday.) We understand that Leo, DGS, has been exposed and could already be carrying it and we will get him tested, but we feel it's important to remove him from the house. This will also give his parents the ability to rest without having parental duties.

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for your DD, DSIL and DGS, as well as you and DH.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

Sending prayers now,

Jim.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  Hope yiur DD and DSIL have mild cases and that your DGS escapes being infected.  Since you both know how horrible this virus is, please take care of yourselves too. Sending good and positive thoughts that everyone gets well quickly.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Our positive thoughts and prayers are sent to you.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Yesterday was nation wide Super Saturday  "vaxathon" day, PM hoping  that 100,000 Pfizer vaccinations would be given, that target was exceeded so very pleasing.

I suspect your flu season is pretty much opposite of ours.  How was that last season?  We had a very light flu season last year with lots of places requiring masks but expect a worse season this year.

Roy

• Like 3

12 hours ago, highscar said:

To you experts on plants etc.  I love lavender and have a lovely plant which  was a gift last spring.  How do I winter it?  Someone suggested I simply put it in the garage ???????

What zone are you in and what kind of lavender is it?  Most English lavender is a perennial and will come back in the spring as long as you are in at least zone 5.  I think you should be?  As long as you prep it, the lavender will come back but lavender doesn’t last for as many years like other perennials.

But other types of lavender like French and Spanish can’t survive frost.  

You might want to take some cuttings and see if you can get them to root so you will have more of the plants next year 😉 

Here’s an article that might help you.  https://www.gardenerreport.com/lavender-winter/

9 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Oh dear 😢 Prayers for all of you 🙏🏻.  Please be careful & take care of yourselves while you help your family ♥️ 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Bless you. Prayers are speeding towards you all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I suspect your flu season is pretty much opposite of ours.  How was that last season?  We had a very light flu season last year with lots of places requiring masks but expect a worse season this year.

Roy

The RSV  (Respiratory Syncytial virus ) was active during the flu season.  we both had it,  we called it the coughing Olympics!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1