The Daily for Monday October 18, 2021

richwmn

A little more catching up on the Daily, while i take a short break until the patios are dry.  At least, it is cooler than yesterday, and there is a good breeze (wind at times).

@St. Louis Sal   A bit late, but congratualtions on being named Mission Woman of the Year.

@kazu  So sad that the firefighter had to lose his life rescuing people doing something very foolish and dangerous.

@AncientWanderer  Welcome home.

@cunnorl  Sorry to learn that your sister has an agressive form of lymphoma.  Hope she can get a great treatment plan and have a good recovery.  A second opinion is always a good idea.

@smitty34877  Terry, sorry that Tana is having breathing issures.  Hope they are resolved soon.

Now I better get back to work.

At least, so far on my laptop and my phone , CC is working.  With an update to finish installinhg on the computer and just saying CC was working, I hope I didn't jinx myself.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I don't  think this was in the cbc.ca article but is probably updated regularly:

Richard Liebmann, director of the Montreal fire department (SIM), identified the firefighter as 58-year-old Pierre Lacroix, who had worked at station 64 in Lachine for more than 20 years. Liebmann said Lacroix had a partner and two children.

RIP Mr. Lacroix, and may your partner and children get the support they need.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Happy Monday.  The pic is my furry friend from Gibraltar, a Barbary Macaque.  While looking for some pics of ports in Spain, I decided to share this one as Kazu and others have posted such great ones of todays destination.  Coastal Spain, including off the Bay of Biscay, as well as the Med and the islands, are interesting an attractive port calls.

I like when Holland America uses some of the less crowded ports away from the mega liners.  Loosing our smaller ships, it will be more difficult to visit those places.  A friend is looking at a Celebrity cruise on their newest ship, at 1004' long, that is to go to Bordeaux.  Can a ship that large go to Bordeaux?  

That is the Rotterdam in port far below in the pic.

IMG_2604.JPG

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
added words
  • Like 20

I always enjoy the photos shared of the various ports of call.  But today, @kazuyour pictures have been amazing.  What a memory of an outstanding tour!

@ mamaofami, I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this with the aid.  If I were you, I would perhaps email your daughter and son to let them know what occurred yesterday.  That way, nothing you say could be overheard.  Your children need to know, because this affects you as well as your precious husband.

Also, I would suggest that you contact the VA to see if your help from them could be expedited.  (I worked with the VA for 3 years while doing home hospice for my DH).  There should be a social worker assigned to your case, or a Victim Advocate.  Perhaps if you express the need they can get things moving faster.  (And if you feel that my advice is unwarranted, I certainly understand).  

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Can a ship that large go to Bordeaux?  

Yes they can - but they won’t be in town nor “parked” on the river.  I suspect they will have to shuttle at least an hour to get there.

Not quite the same as when we were on the lovely Prinsendam parked right down town.

On our way out after we went through the bridges (timing is everything) I saw a larger cruise ship further off.  Talking to one of the officers, they had at least an hour’s drive to get into Bordeaux.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes they can - but they won’t be in town nor “parked” on the river.  I suspect they will have to shuttle at least an hour to get there.

Not quite the same as when we were on the lovely Prinsendam parked right down town.

On our way out after we went through the bridges (timing is everything) I saw a larger cruise ship further off.  Talking to one of the officers, they had at least an hour’s drive to get into Bordeaux.

Right you are!  I checked "Whats In Port" after I posted and read that up to 250 Meters/800 feet is the limit to dock in the city.  Seems to me, even the Prinsendam had to time itself quite closely with the high tide and kicked up some of the bottom.  The Volendam and Zaandam may be small enough to dock city side.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

thanks - that makes me grateful I was on the Prinsendam 😉 

that’s more than an hour away.

B19DACEF-CF6E-4CC6-A9B1-4564CA82F09F.thumb.jpeg.dd2ca5b84270a5a306ff68ff1d42f272.jpeg

Yes, they were two very long days.  The first day we went to the Cognac region and the second was touring wineries in Bordeaux.  Sadly, didn’t get to spend any time in the city ☹️

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Right you are!  I checked "Whats In Port" after I posted and read that up to 250 Meters/800 feet is the limit to dock in the city.  Seems to me, even the Prinsendam had to time itself quite closely with the high tide and kicked up some of the bottom.  The Volendam and Zaandam may be small enough to dock city side.

We had Captain DD at the helm and he was good.  But those bridges - OMG we were so close.  Unbelievable.  It was truly an amazing experience.

Same cruise that when we went to Tarragona.  It was a real winner of an itinerary.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Yes, they were two very long days.  The first day we went to the Cognac region and the second was touring wineries in Bordeaux.  Sadly, didn’t get to spend any time in the city ☹️

Oh that’s a shame. 😔 We had the advantage of being there so went to the wineries and an old city and still had time after to explore a bit by night.

The next day we had a fabulous walking tour of Bordeaux.  An amazing city and so much is made for pedestrians. Discovered a special winery place our guide told us about and enjoyed the lovely tastings and the food that went with it.  Then browsed on our own.

It was perfect as we could just go down the boulevard where everyone walked along the river and return to the ship any time we wanted and go back out in downtown Bordeaux.

The locals seemed to enjoy us being there 👍 

• Like 15

Good evening everyone.   

The CC gremlins should go up in flames tonight as I ordered and received a bluetooth keyboard for my Kindle.  Much better than one finger typing.  Now I have to master copy and paste as the operating system is different.  I'll get it.

Also, the price of gas can go down now as I filled up the car today.   I did that on the way home from dropping off the laptop for repair.   I also hit the Rec Center and used the weight machines and did my pool routine.   Tonight I have to choose between two Zoom meetings.   

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@kazu

Ahh, the world has righted itself! 

Jacqui, just wanted to thank you for sharing all those fascinating pictures. 

Ahh - quoting you but thanks to all with your very kind comments on Tarragona.  I thought I had over done it the first time.

So glad you didn’t mind me sharing parts of the day.  We really loved our time there and sadly pictures can’t capture it all.

Many thanks 🙂 

• Like 14

@kazu  Jacqui, I totally agree that being on the Prinsendam and docked right in town in Bordeaux is absolutely the best way to enjoy the city.  We were fortunate to be there three times on the Elegant Explorer.

In 2011, the tides were right for an all day visit,.  That day we took a tour to Cognac, and we still had a little time to go into the city proper after our tour.  In 2016 and 2017,  because of the tides, we were there overnight, with an afternoon and a short morning, so no long tours.  Those times, we just explored Bordeaux on our own by foot and by tram.

Lenda

• Like 13

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I can't stand it when ships are forced to dock way out at container ports or otherwise.  Even Sitka annoys us now.  We aren't tender fans, but if I had to choose a port to do it in, that would be it.  The waters are as calm as it gets, and what a view too.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Happy Monday.  The pic is my furry friend from Gibraltar, a Barbary Macaque.  While looking for some pics of ports in Spain, I decided to share this one as Kazu and others have posted such great ones of todays destination.  Coastal Spain, including off the Bay of Biscay, as well as the Med and the islands, are interesting an attractive port calls.

I like when Holland America uses some of the less crowded ports away from the mega liners.  Loosing our smaller ships, it will be more difficult to visit those places.  A friend is looking at a Celebrity cruise on their newest ship, at 1004' long, that is to go to Bordeaux.  Can a ship that large go to Bordeaux?  

That is the Rotterdam in port far below in the pic.

IMG_2604.JPG

I thought that was a hat somebody was wearing at first 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I totally agree that being on the Prinsendam and docked right in town in Bordeaux is absolutely the best way to enjoy the city.  We were fortunate to be there three times on the Elegant Explorer.

In 2011, the tides were right for an all day visit,.  That day we took a tour to Cognac, and we still had a little time to go into the city proper after our tour.  In 2016 and 2017,  because of the tides, we were there overnight, with an afternoon and a short morning, so no long tours.  Those times, we just explored Bordeaux on our own by foot and by tram.

Lenda

Or you can stay in Bordeaux 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hello all, I can’t believe that I’m only just getting to the daily.  What can I say, I hit the ground running and this is my first chance to chill.  I love meatloaf and am glad that it has it’s own day.  Never had a beard.  Living in Boston every day is multicultural appreciation day and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  Interesting quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but it’s pot roast here this evening and the smells are fantastic!  Never been to today’s port and will now scroll through all the photos, thanking everyone in advance. Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list and cheers to all you celebrating a happy event!

• Like 9

Good evening. Thank you Rich, Roy and all of you Daily contributors.

I haven't finished reading yesterday's and barely started today's Dailies, but I will.

I think it was @ger_77who said recently that there's a reason we have children when we're young. I agreed with her when I read it and REALLY agree now. Our DGS is a joy, but I am exhausted. Last night I laid down in the room with him and I really couldn't tell you which one of us was asleep first.

Thankfully he tested negative and DD is starting to feel better. Unfortunately DSIL feels worse today than yesterday. DD and DSIL are very grateful we came down and for the time to sleep/rest.

Well, I need to fold some laundry and get myself to bed so I can keep up with the 2 year old tomorrow.

I may not post or read as early or often this week, but I am thinking and praying for all of my Dailyite family. Take care of yourselves and have a blessed week.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I always enjoy the photos shared of the various ports of call.  But today, @kazuyour pictures have been amazing.  What a memory of an outstanding tour!

@ mamaofami, I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this with the aid.  If I were you, I would perhaps email your daughter and son to let them know what occurred yesterday.  That way, nothing you say could be overheard.  Your children need to know, because this affects you as well as your precious husband.

Also, I would suggest that you contact the VA to see if your help from them could be expedited.  (I worked with the VA for 3 years while doing home hospice for my DH).  There should be a social worker assigned to your case, or a Victim Advocate.  Perhaps if you express the need they can get things moving faster.  (And if you feel that my advice is unwarranted, I certainly understand).  

My daughter was with us in the car yesterday when her husband called to say our gatehouse was on the phone asking for permission to let the aide in so she knew what happened and so does our son. The VA has said we only qualify for 10:hours a week and it can be spread out over 5/days, but they don’t have their own aides. They use an agency here. We’ve spoken to a social worker and a victim’s advocate so we have covered all those basis. I would never feel anyone’s advice was unwarranted. In fact, it has been useful to me just to be able to vent hear and know you all are of the same opinion and yet I can’t let him go.  Thank you everyone.

• Like 14