The Daily for Monday October 18, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning to everyone!  

I love a good meatloaf.  My mom made a great one and it is filed in the family cookbook under Muzzy's Marvelous Meals.  And, yes, I'll celebrate multicultural Diversity Day.  After all, it is those differences in culture that make this world an interesting place.  Why travel if everyone was exactly the same?   But, in the end, the things that matter most are common to us all:  family, freedom, health, and being able to love and be loved.  

The drink sounds interesting to me and I'd like just a sip, please.  There looks like a lot of sugar involved, so I'm not sure I'd want the whole thing.  

Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl.   

Today's meal is a good one.  And, it is easy and can be paired with pasta, rice, or riced cauliflower.  

Here is a basic and quick to make recipe:

https://cafedelites.com/lemon-garlic-butter-shrimp/

Lemon-Garlic-Butter-Shrimp-122.thumb.jpg.587a40e34c2a383f5d50e6b97434424a.jpg

This one adds a bit of red pepper and white wine to the mix.  

https://www.wellplated.com/garlic-butter-shrimp/

1264086653_Garlic-Butter-Shrimp-recipe(1).thumb.jpg.258b0ae4387c13f1f8e8469b7def3c83.jpg

And this one reduces the amount of butter and proclaims it is the healthy version:

https://healthyfitnessmeals.com/lemon-garlic-shrimp/

1293662873_Garlic-lemon-shrimp-skillet-8(1).thumb.jpg.f0034925b4bfdea54f38f9a0bafae975.jpg

I'll take any version, thank you!   

Lovely food pictures as usual and a nice new avatar picture Debbie.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely food pictures as usual and a nice new avatar picture Debbie.

Take care.

Graham.

Thank you!  I am modeling my netting to keep the midges away in Iceland back in 2019.  

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh my heavens the vicious St. Lawrence River has caused the firefighters’ boat to capsize (they were rescuing people whose boat had capsized and succeeded). He is trapped under the boat and there is a huge Search & Rescue team trying to figure out how to get him.  😔 

Terrible news.  Prayers for his family and friends.

• Like 14

Good morning  everyone. Meatloaf day will make DH very happy and is an easy fix.I like the garlic shrimp  recipe also.Maybe both!

We have not been to the  port and look forward  to pictures. 

DH has had a beard in the past but now just has the mustache.Beards are interesting  in their great variety.

Happy Birthday @Seasick Sailor !

It feels almost like fall here today with jackets required.  Lots of leaves on the ground.

Terry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Another act of violence yesterday as a shooting took place at Park City Mall in Lancaster Pa . 4 injured.-not life threatening. The scary part is I was in the mall on Saturday and walked past where it happened 🙏

I hope everyone has a good day.

Birthday wishes to those celebrating and blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone. I have a real delema this morning  and don’t know how to solve it. The agency told our aide not to leave the house yesterday while we went to NY to visit our dying friend because he wasn’t fully vaccinated and it made me uncomfortable. At about 4pm we got a phone call in the car from our son in law saying he had the security for our condo on the phone asking if Lasso could come into the place. We said yes, now knowing he had left. When we got home, his car had been moved to a different spot but Sam and my daughter asked me not to say anything because he drives and relieves my daughter from taking Sam to his doctors and Sam likes this aide. I agreed. But then I saw my message machine blinking so I took the only message from the machine which was from my sister in law. I could tell the messages from the gatehouse that were left on the machine had been erased. What the aid don’t know was that even though he played the messages so I wouldn’t hear them, they weren’t really erased and when I played the old messages, there it was including one from the PT making an appointment for today. I was up half the night trying to figure out how to let him know I knew what happened and that not only did he not follow instructions from the agency, but he lied by erasing the messages from my machine and not knowing if he realized they called my son in law to ask if he could be let in. Now, I’m in a quandary and don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Wow, another sad news day.  RIP Colin Powell.

Roy

I heard that too.  Very sad.  RIP

22 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Terrible news.  Prayers for his family and friends.

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kazu That is terrible news about the firefighter in the St. Lawrence.  I hope this can come to a successful resolution.  

I hope they can succeed.  The capsized boat is in a spot they can’t get at easily and the river is raging.  🙏🏻 for success.

• Like 13

Good morning friends!  It was a very cool 43F here as we woke up and walked to the gym.  Hands were frozen by the time we arrived.  Our run in with wildlife this morning was a deer we frightened at the edge of the golf course.  He ran off a ways, then turned and stared at us as we continued by.  We've noticed the past two weeks we haven't seen the deer out our back windows in the evenings.  I believe it's mating season so maybe they're in hiding!  😄

I heard about the death of Gen. Colin Powell shortly after 8 am.  Covid complications even though fully vaccinated.  Just like our friend and neighbor Copeland.  May he RIP.  

Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailorand @SusieKIslandGirl!    Thanks @dfishfor the great shrimp recipes today.  They sound delicious!  I also have a good meatloaf recipe and am not always a fan of other versions.  As long as we like our own recipe, it's all good.  Especially like a leftover meatloaf sandwich the next day.  Also nice to see your new avatar photo.  Very cool!  

Thanks to @richwmnfor the Daily and to @rafinmdfor our lists of Cares and Celebrations.  Prayers for all on the Care list.  Cheers to everyone enjoying good fortune.  No beard at our house.  Multicultural Day is a fine concept to celebrate.  @kazuI'm saddened to hear of the firefighter's boat capsizing.  I pray he is recovered safely.  

For those having trouble getting the sign in box to appear when needed, what I do is close the tab on my laptop, open a different tab for Cruise Critic and I can immediately get the log in box when I click on log in.  It's the only way it works for me now.  

We have not been to Tarragona before and since Jacqui says it's an hour from Barcelona I guess that's why.  It will be interesting to see what it's like in case we every want to go there.  But Barcelona has so much going for it I can see why we would want to stick around there instead.  

@mamaofamiI'm sorry to hear there are more issues with your aide.  You need his help so much but don't know if he can be trusted in some ways.  Praying for guidance for your family and that your favorite aide shows up very soon!

DH has a dental hygienist appointment this morning so I will go along and we can run errands and early vote in a local election.  Maybe even stop at Chick-Fil-A for a delicious chicken sandwich!  Mmm!  They have the nicest employees too.  I wish I was the lucky owner of a franchise because you never see an empty Chick-Fil-A drive-thru lane, do you?  😉

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

@sea sick sailorand @SusieKIslandGirl  A very Happy Birthday to you both. May you have many many more.

A great big thank you for all your well wishes and prayers for my sister. I am anxiously awaiting news from Boston but it probably wont be until later this afternoon.

Be safe and enjoy today.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I have a real delema this morning  and don’t know how to solve it. The agency told our aide not to leave the house yesterday while we went to NY to visit our dying friend because he wasn’t fully vaccinated and it made me uncomfortable. At about 4pm we got a phone call in the car from our son in law saying he had the security for our condo on the phone asking if Lasso could come into the place. We said yes, now knowing he had left. When we got home, his car had been moved to a different spot but Sam and my daughter asked me not to say anything because he drives and relieves my daughter from taking Sam to his doctors and Sam likes this aide. I agreed. But then I saw my message machine blinking so I took the only message from the machine which was from my sister in law. I could tell the messages from the gatehouse that were left on the machine had been erased. What the aid don’t know was that even though he played the messages so I wouldn’t hear them, they weren’t really erased and when I played the old messages, there it was including one from the PT making an appointment for today. I was up half the night trying to figure out how to let him know I knew what happened and that not only did he not follow instructions from the agency, but he lied by erasing the messages from my machine and not knowing if he realized they called my son in law to ask if he could be let in. Now, I’m in a quandary and don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

Carol

It’s with a bit of trepidation I say this but I am going to.  If this aide is distrustful who knows about pills or other valuables in the house?  

Carol, I believe you need to tell the agency this person can’t be trusted.  I wouldn’t speak to him as you have the proof and his superiors need to know.  My attitude would be if they can’t be honest, they don’t belong in my home.  But, that is me.

Talk to your daughter and son and get their insight and thoughts.  And you can decide from there.  

• Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We both enjoy meatloaf (DH even likes it cold in sandwiches . . . ugh!),  neither of us has a beard, and we are fortunate to have a multiculturally diverse family.

First of all, a very Happy Birthday to @SusieKIslandGirl and @Seasick Sailor; wishing you both a wonderful day today and a great year ahead!

I was saddened to wake up this morning and learn of the passing of Colin Powell - he was a true statesman and was respected around the world.

We had a great day yesterday, enjoying the warmth and sunshine while it lasted - we were able to get the Christmas lights on the front of the house and it seems we started a trend on the block.  A couple was walking by, saw ours, and as soon as they got home, took out the stepladder and did the same.  A short time later, the neighbours on both sides of us were out there doing the same.  The temperatures are going to dip by about 15 degrees today and remain that way throughout the rest of the week, so I'm sure everyone's going to be glad that job is out of the way.

I like today's menu suggestion, another simple one - BTW, @dfish I almost didn't know who was providing the information when I looked at your avatar.  Nice!    I don't have any shrimp in the house, but we've got lots of ham left from yesterday, so I think we'll have breakfast for dinner with fried ham and eggs.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  @kazuI heard the report on the news about the firefighter - apparently he's been rescued, but they haven't reported whether he was alive or not.  Certainly praying for a positive outcome.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Tarragona:

A small group from our roll call went by train to Tarragona from Barcelona. I had pre-purchased the tickets on line so we didn’t have to play with the machines to buy tickets 😉.  It’s just around an hour’s trip and goes by quickly with some interesting scenery along the way.

Tarragona is built on Roman ruins and many of the ruins still stand.

F1978CCE-72DB-446A-BC22-47723D2AEA09.jpeg.9219aaae09061b0ea1757bedc5a20ffd.jpeg

The ruins are on a huge hill in the middle of the city.  It’s a long ways down.  Fortunately there is an escalator as well:

9959F45B-9DDE-45CD-8333-FA9F6650CFA4.jpeg.64c119e62ebaa96f2bf0864c98f7b874.jpeg

The town hall:

5F9FE87D-9432-4D7F-A067-89B6B3995FB2.thumb.jpeg.3c666c7b7c9534d4199f042c9a320c14.jpeg

68572298-084F-403C-B7AA-41014C2740C4.jpeg.b596ecd533c98c4fd629614bf548d3e9.jpeg45164FB2-EB2B-48AC-A023-AB0419A938B0.jpeg.93f66a0d87007be67cfb163ff43e4ee7.jpeg

This is a map of how the city was originally laid out in Roman times

7683F1E2-9A43-4BE8-A29D-76BD52EBC13B.jpeg.ad5e74bb4ce09ce49562d9bbe99489ab.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

@mamaofamiwhat a situation to be in!  I agree with @kazu if he's not being honest with you, how can you trust him?  I'd be very concerned - erasing your messages without telling you about them, and dishonesty; I'd be saying goodbye to him and quickly.

Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

news about the firefighter - apparently he's been rescued, but they haven't reported whether he was alive or not

The 3 that were rescued are in hospital.  I’m sorry to say that the firefighter wasn’t rescued.  They have just discovered the body from the sounds of things, sadly 😢 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14

Tarragona…continued…

If you think buildings are in odd positions, it’s because they were built along the walls of what was the great circus here in Tarragona

3B898277-D9CA-429C-BCF9-AD4B2A262819.jpeg.a4166d38db5354d9df436712206d4f4c.jpeg

15A2482F-CE68-45A5-AD57-1D17C63B6956.jpeg.47eb902906490eaa26231f588d4827fd.jpeg

4E3403FA-F6CB-44FA-9441-D1AC5B0074D9.jpeg.7a1de602150e4fbcd40bb43286e1b754.jpeg

The circus here was larger than the one in Rome!  Amazing.

The Romans came here in 3 BC and took the little town from the Iberians.  They immediately built a military base.

4E49CA3C-E97D-4AFA-8036-D6F9B24BB1E9.jpeg.ad51262d58b4c48b7c535aa2533682fb.jpeg

558CEC60-3879-49BB-9A04-7D37778E8170.jpeg.6600aaf8e3387e470bd78643e67d4f5e.jpeg

Do you see the boulders at the bottom of the walls?  They extend over 3 metres below the floor you see here.  No one knows how the Romans were able to put the boulders in.  They are estimated to weight 2 - 3 tons!

This is what makes this a UNESCO site.  It’s the only Roman wall where this was done.

ADBEEF00-52AF-471B-9359-5B96F7A2096E.jpeg.966b60c0a4f8a9a03a4a10a406a2c155.jpeg

BBFF5D0E-33E4-4669-8702-8937738F2D36.jpeg.adfb2e6127905c20a89cb8983f5b7da2.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s with a bit of trepidation I say this but I am going to.  If this aide is distrustful who knows about pills or other valuables in the house?  

Carol, I believe you need to tell the agency this person can’t be trusted.  I wouldn’t speak to him as you have the proof and his superiors need to know.  My attitude would be if they can’t be honest, they don’t belong in my home.  But, that is me.

Talk to your daughter and son and get their insight and thoughts.  And you can decide from there.  

This is a real issue for me.and Sam told me to explain to the aide just what happened. He claims he left to get some food and then turned around and came back in but he left my front door unlocked because he wasn’t going far. I don’t believe it because his car was parked in a different spot . I told him it’s hard to trust him now and he said please trust him. So, I’m in a catch 22. I can’t ask the agency to replace him. But I will tell them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I just had a phone call from the doctor office about an appointment for tomorrow morning. I’m now being told this is a consultation and not the biopsy, I’m confused. I just want to get it over with🙏

I can't blame you.  I'd want to put my mind at ease as soon as possible. 🙏

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Tarragona continued

6521CCEF-1766-498A-98FB-07C456570A16.jpeg.b28735bf8cdcebc00a79d047be1421b1.jpeg

12C05FE7-65C4-40E8-9F2A-E2B502772CDF.jpeg.e2a57b954c97faedf412b5f497b85c1d.jpeg

This is the model of how the city was.  Our guide was giving us a lot of great info:

52542A1A-01F5-4FD6-8B08-A0F826917BA7.jpeg.2e47b976c17a41e06044b5774b0b9ba1.jpeg

5FCB261D-8843-485A-AB2E-2DD515EC1D0E.jpeg.bbf31b2b5c421484d281835196988856.jpeg

1BB4561D-5001-41FE-BE9D-EA9AFFC18CE4.jpeg.11ddb42f7e79c6c68275761e9f4190ba.jpeg

4C7C6A15-2CB8-42FD-AED8-8F4BDD798EFE.jpeg.f0e9fe9a4d4e7a8095154123ca72c79c.jpeg

These poles were to prevent people from parking on the street.  The people painted them decoratively and our guide tells us it’s one of the first pictures you will find of Tarragona streets if you google.

0B47F9FC-F944-4E49-B4ED-155A5F125C11.jpeg.a6638406b71dfccab8782238997e81e7.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1