Mini Fridge / Room Service Questions from Newbie...

tlcm

Hi CCers!  So I impulsively booked my first cruise ever yesterday for a C1 aft room on the Summit for NEXT WEEK!😬  I know nothing about how things go.

-Can I ask that the mini-fridge (do I have a mini-fridge?) be stocked with just things I like?  I have no use for beer or wine, but vodka is always a good idea! 

-Can I order cocktails to be delivered to my stateroom so I can sip on the verandah before dinner?  

-Is there a place I can find a room service menu?

Thanks so much.

The Summit was our first cruise ever. You have picked a fabulous ship. Go to the bar to get your drinks using your package. Room service menu is in the room, Concierge class has better options. Just enjoy. We knew nothing about these cruises when we started but the Summit is fantastic.  

• Thanks 1

As others said the room refrig is not included snd is ala carte. 

E8C7F1F3-C6B3-4150-AE44-9E401B60EA44.thumb.jpeg.10c6df4e5870e6aa651a5ae65a20f17c.jpeg

While the report is the corporate line you should ask your room attendant.  

I’m in a Sky Suite and my butler said we could use anything in the refrigerator under our drink package.   He said he felt that since we are in a Suite and a Premium Drink plan he would not charge for it’s use.   This may be my personal experience it may vary by Butler or Room attendant. 

Also be cautious of the Big Bottle of Evian.  They usually charge 5 dollars for it. 

• Thanks 1

I was in a Sky Suite last month.  I was told by my" Personal Retreat Host" (they don't like being called Butler)  that my mini fridge will be stocked with whatever I drink as the room came with premium drink package. .  I only requested certain sodas  and large bottles of  Evian Water as I do not drink.  I would have been given any bottles of any liquor on board, if requested.. I did order a cappuccino the first day, and one was brought to my cabin every morning without asking. 

I am told you can ask your cabin attendant to empty out the fridge, if you don't want to purchase anything in it.  To make sure no charges are made to your account.   

• Thanks 1

In a C1 you don't want to take anything out of the 'fridge' unless you upgrade to Drinks and More.
Our experience is to ask the room attendant to empty the fridge and then you can keep it stalked. when returning to the cabin - pick up waters, etc to put in the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t take anything out of the mini fridge.   The stuff in there has been handled many times and goes from hot to cold as most people ask for the fridge to be emptied.   When they empty it the contents is put into a sack and placed under the bed.  You will find the beer to be rather skunky.  

The other is the fridge isn’t really a fridge it is more of a cooler that doesn’t get very cold.   If you want some beer buy a bucket as you will get a discount and the bucket.  When buying the bucket make sure you are out of the port otherwise you will be charged the sales tax and that wipes out the savings.   Take the bucket  to the cabin and put it in the fridge.   Ask the attendant to bring ice every day and replace the ice in the bucket. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, miched said:

Don’t take anything out of the mini fridge.   The stuff in there has been handled many times and goes from hot to cold as most people ask for the fridge to be emptied.   When they empty it the contents is put into a sack and placed under the bed.  You will find the beer to be rather skunky.  

The other is the fridge isn’t really a fridge it is more of a cooler that doesn’t get very cold.   If you want some beer buy a bucket as you will get a discount and the bucket.  When buying the bucket make sure you are out of the port otherwise you will be charged the sales tax and that wipes out the savings.   Take the bucket  to the cabin and put it in the fridge.   Ask the attendant to bring ice every day and replace the ice in the bucket. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Awesome advice! Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, miched said:

You will find the beer to be rather skunky.

In case this comes up in trivia!  It's a myth that temp changes can skunk a sealed beer, direct sunlight can very slowly (weeks) progressively skunk bottled beer but not cans.  Constant temp changes could degrade other non-beer beverage items, though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option is to just go to a bar, order what you wish and take it back to your room!

We toast fairwell to every port! To do this I go to the bar, order a couple of glasses of bubbles and whizz them to our room. Romantic photo on the balcony time!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crazyman3 said:

Another option is to just go to a bar, order what you wish and take it back to your room!

Do this.  Since you are at the aft of the ship go to the aft elevators and go up to the bar aft of the Oceanview for quick service then run back to your wonderful verandah.

Congratulations on selecting one of the best rooms on the Summit.  I take an aft C1 over a sky suite on those ships.  Enjoy.

• Thanks 2

On 10/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, Jim_Iain said:

As others said the room refrig is not included snd is ala carte. 

E8C7F1F3-C6B3-4150-AE44-9E401B60EA44.thumb.jpeg.10c6df4e5870e6aa651a5ae65a20f17c.jpeg

While the report is the corporate line you should ask your room attendant.  

I’m in a Sky Suite and my butler said we could use anything in the refrigerator under our drink package.   He said he felt that since we are in a Suite and a Premium Drink plan he would not charge for it’s use.   This may be my personal experience it may vary by Butler or Room attendant. 

Also be cautious of the Big Bottle of Evian.  They usually charge 5 dollars for it. 

Our experience in a Sky Suite on the Equinox in August.  Our Butler stocked our mini fridge with Evian water and small bottles of red and white wine (our request) and we were not charged for anything used.  Our butler also brought drinks from the bars to our cabin at no charge. This is one of many reasons  why from now on we will only book the Retreat with Celebrity, we have the Apex booked for 2023. No other mainstream cruise line we have sailed offers anything like the Retreat experience.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 2

I think some of the advice on here is leading the OP astray.

OP said they do NOT have a drink package, and is NOT in a suite.

Given that, OP would have to purchase, a la carte, any beverage, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, except for drinks like iced tea, lemonade(?), coffee, tap water when at a restaurant. 

Given that, OP can request that the mini-fridge be emptied, but would have to PURCHASE drinks to bring back to stock the mini-fridge themselves.

OP, you may want to purchase a classic non-alcoholic beverage package for $18 per day (+20% gratuity) so you don't have to worry about being nickeled and dimed for non-alcoholic drinks.  With the classic non-alcoholic beverage package, you can get sodas, bottled water (non-premium), coffees (except for the more expensive specialty coffees), etc.

Enjoy your sailing--Celebrity is very nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned, room service is available. It sounds like you'll just have a few drinks per day, so it's not a big deal. However, you still might want to consider a classic drink package. A lot of us tend to cut loose a little on a cruise. You might find it worth your while when you also think about the non-alcoholic beverages. Then again, you might not. In any case, room service drinks are not included. 

Summit is a fairly small ship. In all likelihood, it won't be much effort to go grab a drink at a nearby bar. 

By the way, Summit has an amazing crew onboard. You'll have a wonderful time!  Even if you don't drink much, spend some time at Cellar Masters for terrific music (and Eugene, a wonderful person and bartender) and the Martini Bar for fun (also wonderful guys there).

Cheers, and Happy Sailing! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

direct sunlight can very slowly (weeks) progressively skunk bottled beer but not cans.  Constant temp changes could degrade other non-beer beverage items

Direct sunlight can actually skunk a beer within minutes. It depends on the beer and packaging. Hoppier beers skunk more quickly (although some brewers use extracts that will not skunk). Some beers use preservatives to slow skunking. Brown and green glass also slow skunking (brown much more so than green).

Reflected sunlight and even florescent light can skunk beer over time (a very, very long time for florescent light).

You are correct that cans don't skunk. However, repeated temperature changes can have adverse effect on beer. 

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Direct sunlight can actually skunk a beer within minutes. It depends on the beer and packaging. Hoppier beers skunk more quickly (although some brewers use extracts that will not skunk). Some beers use preservatives to slow skunking. Brown and green glass also slow skunking (brown much more so than green).

Reflected sunlight and even florescent light can skunk beer over time (a very, very long time for florescent light).

You are correct that cans don't skunk. However, repeated temperature changes can have adverse effect on beer. 

While true, something around 99% bottled beer use a glass coating to prevent UV light from entering; also many use all sorts of stabilizing chemicals to hinder degradation

On 10/21/2021 at 6:44 PM, tlcm said:

I don't have a drinks package as I'm a lightweight!

Is it possible to have the fridge filled with just things I like?

You can ask your cabin attendant to empty your fridge.  Then you can put whatever you want into it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

While true, something around 99% bottled beer use a glass coating to prevent UV light from entering; also many use all sorts of stabilizing chemicals to hinder degradation

Which is what I said.