My Experience with Renewing US Passport

patrickmoran

With all the horror stories in the news last month I thought I would post my recent experience. It should be a relief to many.

My old passport would have expired late October 2022. Because of travel plans for next year I couldn't wait until it was within 6 months of expiring. Once the government shutdown was avoided I sent in my renewal application in (late September). I paid for expedited processing and shipping (>$200 overall). My new passport arrived today! The State Dept said to expect 12 weeks with expedited processing. About 4 weeks for me! Now I'm good for 10 years.

• Like 6

Wow that’s awesome. My son, of course, procrastinated and didn’t apply for his passport for our closed loop cruise to Cabo in mid-Dec. but it sounds like he still might get it in time if he applies right away. I’ll let him know. The back up is his birth certificate and driver’s license but I’d feel a lot better if he had his passport.

5 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

With all the horror stories in the news last month I thought I would post my recent experience. It should be a relief to many.

My old passport would have expired late October 2022. Because of travel plans for next year I couldn't wait until it was within 6 months of expiring. Once the government shutdown was avoided I sent in my renewal application in (late September). I paid for expedited processing and shipping (>$200 overall). My new passport arrived today! The State Dept said to expect 12 weeks with expedited processing. About 4 weeks for me! Now I'm good for 10 years.

That gives me some hope! I sent mine in on Sept.20, they said they got it on Sept.24. I did expedite it but did not pay extra for the return shipping...I'm really hoping to get it within a few weeks (rather than at the end of December!). I have several cruises lined up but I'm afraid to book anything until I'm sure I'll have my passport. We took 2 Alaska cruises in September because it was the only thing I could do without a passport!

25 minutes ago, coopco said:

Wow that’s awesome. My son, of course, procrastinated and didn’t apply for his passport for our closed loop cruise to Cabo in mid-Dec. but it sounds like he still might get it in time if he applies right away. I’ll let him know. The back up is his birth certificate and driver’s license but I’d feel a lot better if he had his passport.

Can you do a closed loop cruise to another country (Mexico or Caribbean islands) with only a birth certificate and driver's license? What if you had to fly home in an emergency (illness, injury, positive Covid test...)?

25 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

Can you do a closed loop cruise to another country (Mexico or Caribbean islands) with only a birth certificate and driver's license? What if you had to fly home in an emergency (illness, injury, positive Covid test...)?

Yes you can as long as it is closed loop. If you had to fly home from a foreign country, the embassy assists with documents. Not a fast process but can be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

DD did new passports for her 2 kids and her DH renewed his all in August. They took a chance on non-expedited and didn't pay for fast return shipping. All came back within a month. 

YMMV

Sounds like things have improved. I sent mine for renewal (non-expedited) this past January and it took a full eight weeks from the time the State Dept web site indicated they received it until I got the new book and card in the mail.

I did passports for two kids this summer, not expedited.  It took a month to get an appointment at the post office.  Mailed the applications on June 17th.  The cashed the check on August 19th.  We received the passports on September 7th. 

I also ordered a back-up birth certificate for one of my children at that time.  He was born outside the US so we have to do it through the dept of state.  I'm still waiting on that.  They've at least cashed the check so I know they're working on it.

Edited by atobols

On 10/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, KreinKrunker said:

Ms Krunker and I sent our renewals in the same day.  The Post Office said they were delivered on the same day.  Hers was processed on Aug 14, mine is still pending.  It's not quite 12 weeks yet.  I don't need it for another four.

I would call and request it be expediated. 

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wonder if there exists sufficient controls/flexibility at passport issuance facilities to be able to count on such a request being accepted, much less honored.

I know each time we called to check on the status of his passport, they suggested paying the upcharge to expediate the process.  

My passport expires in May 2023 and I already have multiple cruises booked before that time.......I need to sit down and figure out when in 2022 to get a new one😲.  I have a b2b in April sailing out of Europe.

And getting ready to book 2 more cruises for 2022 and I have a deposit for a cruise down under in Jan 2023..........

I am guessing it is ok to renew the passport a year before it expires? 

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am guessing it is ok to renew the passport a year before the old one expires? 

I renewed my passport 2 years before it expired. I did this so that I can get a China 10-year visa that expired the same year as the new passport.  The alternative would have been carrying two passports, one current and one expired with a valid visa.

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

My passport expires in May 2023 and I already have multiple cruises booked before that time.......I need to sit down and figure out when in 2022 to get a new one😲.  I have a b2b in April sailing out of Europe.

And getting ready to book 2 more cruises for 2022 and I have a deposit for a cruise down under in Jan 2023..........

I am guessing it is ok to renew the passport a year before it expires? 

It costs $110 to renew a passport - which works out to $11 per year.   Renewing a year early might be seen as “wasting” that $11 — but if you do not do so, you might have to pay an “expedite” fee.  These days it simply makes sense to renew about a year early - about the time you start making those long term plans, and avoid the stress.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:25 AM, navybankerteacher said:

It costs $110 to renew a passport - which works out to $11 per year.   Renewing a year early might be seen as “wasting” that $11 — but if you do not do so, you might have to pay an “expedite” fee.  These days it simply makes sense to renew about a year early - about the time you start making those long term plans, and avoid the stress.

Good morning, I have a cruise in December to the Caribbean. When I come home from that sailing I am going to use the Expedited Process for a new one.......I have to hope it comes back on time because I fly out again on March 30th. I could do it after that March cruise.....I get home on April 18th........but I have another cruise on July 10......I fly to Paris on 7/7.  So not sure if I do it in April? Would I get it back on time for July?  See my dilemma.......I have cruises booked throughout 2022............and if I renew it after July? I sail again in November.......yes, overseas..........gets complicated LOL.........and my biggest thing is....Australia Jan 2023......the passport expires in May 2023......need a new for sure for that cruise.

(the 6 month thing).........

That’s fantastic!

I sent in renewals for my husband and I in mid June and just got them back this weeks. However, I also at the same time, put in applications for my childrens’ first passport and got them back sometime in July. No idea the difference and if maybe minors go through a different office? Or new applications go through a different office than renewals? But I wa salad we finally got ours.

We don’t cruise until January 2023 but I just don’t want to wait. You never know with shutdowns, quarantines, covid etc! 

57 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I have a cruise in December to the Caribbean. When I come home from that sailing I am going to use the Expedited Process for a new one.......I have to hope it comes back on time because I fly out again on March 30th. I could do it after that March cruise.....I get home on April 18th........but I have another cruise on July 10......I fly to Paris on 7/7.  So not sure if I do it in April? Would I get it back on time for July?  See my dilemma.......I have cruises booked throughout 2022............and if I renew it after July? I sail again in November.......yes, overseas..........gets complicated LOL.........and my biggest thing is....Australia Jan 2023......the passport expires in May 2023......need a new for sure for that cruise.

(the 6 month thing).........

You  REALLY need the passport if you are going international or on other than a closed loop from US port.  If your December cruise is closed loop, you might want to apply now for renewal. Where are you flying to in March?

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You  REALLY need the passport if you are going international or on other than a closed loop from US port.  If your December cruise is closed loop, you might want to apply now for renewal. Where are you flying to in March?

Hi, Portugal.....doing a b2b,,,,,,,Portugal to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Rome.  I know I need it because basically all my upcoming cruises are overseas.  Closed loop? I am going on a 15 night cruise with multiple islands........Ft. Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale........

I was actually thinking between July and November of next year......I go to Paris on 7/7 and back home on the 16th.....I will be home for the rest of the summer and then will cruise again in November.  Yes, overseas LOL. I would have 1/2 of July, August Sept and October at home. 

32 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

That’s fantastic!

I sent in renewals for my husband and I in mid June and just got them back this weeks. However, I also at the same time, put in applications for my childrens’ first passport and got them back sometime in July. No idea the difference and if maybe minors go through a different office? Or new applications go through a different office than renewals? But I wa salad we finally got ours.

We don’t cruise until January 2023 but I just don’t want to wait. You never know with shutdowns, quarantines, covid etc! 

It took you 5 months to get your passport?😲.....OMG.......