Booster shot timing

Ocean Cat

Well I went ahead and got the booster. He wrote the booster date on the original card. It specifically shows two stickers with dates  for my first and second jab and then handwritten “ Booster 10/25/21”. I best not have any problems.When I called RCCL  I very clearly repeated the word Booster about 5 times. But still I think she must be confused. 

Got my booster shot today! And the first Broadway National Tour show (The Band’s Visit) of the 2021-2022 season is this weekend up in Pittsburgh. So excited! Feel much more comfortable about attending large-crowd events. Counting down the days (39) to Anthem of the Seas.

😁

Edited by matt1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Third or fourth booster shot?

Third shot, first booster. Had the first and second Moderna vaccine doses back in late Dec/Jan. Sorry for the typo. 😉

😎

Edited by matt1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, smokeybandit said:

Boosters are available for anyone 18+ who wants one. Just only recommended for specific demographics. And no one is going to ask for proof that you're in a recommended group.

no, they are not. I just tried to make an appointment for one at a pharmacy, and entered age and "no underlying conditions." The system informed me that I cannot have a booster unless I am of a certain age or have a certain underlying condition making me immunocompromised. And I don't work for healthcare or a school or a long term facility of any kind.

Just because they are not asking for proof doesn't meant that boosters are available to ANYONE.

• Like 1

All the stress over the booster is unnecessary since they wouldn’t be able to require the booster until everyone is eligible to have it. 

My concern is a different one..no one knows yet if immunity levels will drop as quickly from the booster as they did with the original 2-shot regimen…I’m eligible now but trying to decide if I should wait a bit so I can be sure I have some level of protection left for back to back cruises in mid April.  I saw on the news that it is likely we will need boosters every 6 months but the timing is off for me for April.  
So much to think about these days. 🤯🤔

• Like 1

I got my booster 10 days prior to our recent cruise...   no problems.    I entered the date of my second dose when I provided my vaccine information and that was the only date the agent was interested in when I checked in for the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elleluv said:

I got my booster 10 days prior to our recent cruise...   no problems.    I entered the date of my second dose when I provided my vaccine information and that was the only date the agent was interested in when I checked in for the cruise.

Thanks for posting this - I'm glad to hear that the booster isn't creating any problems (it shouldn't, frankly, but since this is my first cruise since the pandemic, I worry about everything!

On 10/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, smokeybandit said:

Until the CDC mandates boosters to continue to be deemed fully vaccinated (sadly that day is coming), RC only cares about your original shots and when you became fully vaccinated from them.

This. Once the CDC changes what is considered fully vaxxed, then RCL will change their policy. 

The official CDC requirements are worded that it has to be 14 days since your last shot. When they wrote their requirements, boosters were not yet a thing, and they have not yet changed any verbiage to adapt.

Getting a booster less than 14 days before your cruise means you are relying on whoever checks you in to use common sense, and not apply the letter of the law. Royal cannot do this a company policy, they have to officially follow all CDC rules. So if you get a booster, you are relying on the person who checks you in to use their brain. Most are doing so. However, you are taking a risk, because officially, due to CDC policy, you aren't allowed to bored within 14 days of getting your booster shot.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, ZoeyVictoria said:

We got ours yesterday, 18 days before we cruise, because I am afraid of the protocols being misinterpreted at checkin and being refused as a result.  I had the same reaction to the Moderna booster as I had to the first shot - woke up during the night with pain in all joints and in my ears, muscle aches, headache, and fatigue.  But happy that we have it and the timing couldn’t be a problem for cruising.

My first shot (Moderna) I had no reaction; the second, a severe headache just felt tired and lousy for 3 days; and my booster I had severe body pain, a headache and neck pain that lasted for 1 day.  So, everyone is different and no one knows how they will react.  So your advice about getting it far in advance so as as to prevent any misinterpretation of side effects is spot on.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, iuki said:

My first shot (Moderna) I had no reaction; the second, a severe headache just felt tired and lousy for 3 days; and my booster I had severe body pain, a headache and neck pain that lasted for 1 day.  So, everyone is different and no one knows how they will react.  So your advice about getting it far in advance so as as to prevent any misinterpretation of side effects is spot on.

I was really more concerned about the checkin agent looking at the date of the booster instead of the second vaccination.  You gave me credit for advice I didn’t give (thank you!), but it is a valid concern.

2 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

The official CDC requirements are worded that it has to be 14 days since your last shot. When they wrote their requirements, boosters were not yet a thing, and they have not yet changed any verbiage to adapt.

That's not true. This is straight from the CDC website. 

Screenshot_20211028-163602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d859c8c87fdf91398e1480e89bd3748a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tolkmit said:

they have to officially follow all CDC rules.

For cruises departing from Florida, no they do not. The cruise lines are, but the statement that they must is incorrect (for Florida departures).

Not that it really matters. Vaccination requirements for cruising have nothing whatsoever to do with booster shots.

Edited by publicpersona

On 10/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Vaccines have zero effect on Antijen tests 

Second this!

it’s hard to separate fact from fiction with so much miss information out there. But there are four of us cruising on Sunday, we have all gotten our boosters within the last two weeks, All have negative rapid test

19 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That's not true. This is straight from the CDC website. 

Screenshot_20211028-163602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d859c8c87fdf91398e1480e89bd3748a.jpg

This is not a quote from the Conditional Sail Order. Cruise lines have to follow the CSO, not what the CDC publishes for general use on it's website. It's idiotic, but as they have been the entire pandemic, the people in the CDC who issue orders for the cruise lines update the official rules for cruise lines months behind current events.

10 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

This is not a quote from the Conditional Sail Order. Cruise lines have to follow the CSO, not what the CDC publishes for general use on it's website. It's idiotic, but as they have been the entire pandemic, the people in the CDC who issue orders for the cruise lines update the official rules for cruise lines months behind current events.

I don't believe the CSO defines vaccinated or fully vaccinated. The post that was quoted did present the CDC definition.

29 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

I don't believe the CSO defines vaccinated or fully vaccinated. The post that was quoted did present the CDC definition.

Not only does the CSO not define "fully vaccinated," page 33 of the CSO requires ships operating or intending to operate in US waters to define "fully vaccinated" in the same way that the CDC does. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:18 PM, SheSailsFL said:

All the stress over the booster is unnecessary since they wouldn’t be able to require the booster until everyone is eligible to have it. 

My concern is a different one..no one knows yet if immunity levels will drop as quickly from the booster as they did with the original 2-shot regimen…I’m eligible now but trying to decide if I should wait a bit so I can be sure I have some level of protection left for back to back cruises in mid April.  I saw on the news that it is likely we will need boosters every 6 months but the timing is off for me for April.  
So much to think about these days. 🤯🤔

I have this same concern — I will hit six months after my booster shot (got it yesterday, and OMG, what a miserable night since I opted not to take any OTC on the off chance that there is a negative effect on the efficacy) about a week after we leave for a month of travel to Europe.  Since I seem to have a strong reaction each time I’ve gotten the vaccine, I really don’t want to get another 6 month booster concurrent with my trip.  But who knows by then if the countries we will be visiting will require it.  If I had been thinking, I would have put off the booster for a month 😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

I have this same concern — I will hit six months after my booster shot (got it yesterday, and OMG, what a miserable night since I opted not to take any OTC on the off chance that there is a negative effect on the efficacy) about a week after we leave for a month of travel to Europe.  Since I seem to have a strong reaction each time I’ve gotten the vaccine, I really don’t want to get another 6 month booster concurrent with my trip.  But who knows by then if the countries we will be visiting will require it.  If I had been thinking, I would have put off the booster for a month 😜

No one no knows for sure because it’s real-time research. I just do what I can right now to protect myself and others, and we will all figure it out as we go along. No need to stress about some thing we can’t control and something no one knows right now

On 10/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, Ocean Cat said:

I wanted to get a booster shot tomorrow but after a call to RCL they said even the booster needs to be no sooner than 14 days from sailing( Nov 8 embarkation). Not sure why since a booster isn’t even required. I would have liked the extra protection of the booster. 

Nothing to do with Royal Caribbean directly  or cruise line rules but my Sister in law is due to sail on Princess soon and since Moderna was just approved recently she didn't want to risk testing positive for covid from the booster. There is no medical or science based information she used to reach this   decision. It's just plain paranoia. If it were me I wouldn't risk it either because as my luck would have it I would test positive.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Nothing to do with Royal Caribbean directly  or cruise line rules but my Sister in law is due to sail on Princess soon and since Moderna was just approved recently she didn't want to risk testing positive for covid from the booster. There is no medical or science based information she used to reach this   decision. It's just plain paranoia. If it were me I wouldn't risk it either because as my luck would have it I would test positive.

The only reason a person could test positive immediately following a Moderna or Pfizer shot is because they had covid before getting the shot. In other words, mRNA vaccinations do not and cannot cause a positive PCR or antigen test.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1