Booster shot timing

Ocean Cat

I wanted to get a booster shot tomorrow but after a call to RCL they said even the booster needs to be no sooner than 14 days from sailing( Nov 8 embarkation). Not sure why since a booster isn’t even required. I would have liked the extra protection of the booster. 

Edited by Ocean Cat
  • Like 1

As far as I can tell, RC has no rules in place for requirements or timing of a booster shot so I believe the call center answer is wrong.  I would give it a little time in case you have a reaction.  I got mine Thursday and am a little tired & achy.  Nothing that would stop me from getting on a cruise but also not up for anything strenuous.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ocean Cat said:

I wanted to get a booster shot tomorrow but after a call to RCL they said even the booster needs to be no sooner than 14 days from sailing( Nov 8 embarkation). Not sure why since a booster isn’t even required. I would have liked the extra protection of the booster. 

Sadly you’ve  been misinformed. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

As far as I can tell, RC has no rules in place for requirements or timing of a booster shot so I believe the call center answer is wrong.  I would give it a little time in case you have a reaction.  I got mine Thursday and am a little tired & achy.  Nothing that would stop me from getting on a cruise but also not up for anything strenuous.

We got ours yesterday, 18 days before we cruise, because I am afraid of the protocols being misinterpreted at checkin and being refused as a result.  I had the same reaction to the Moderna booster as I had to the first shot - woke up during the night with pain in all joints and in my ears, muscle aches, headache, and fatigue.  But happy that we have it and the timing couldn’t be a problem for cruising.

What vaccines are accepted?

A

Royal Caribbean accepts vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA or the World Health Organization. A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the required number of doses in their vaccine series have been fully administered (e.g. 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson).

I'm really nervous about this as I just got my booster, and it is 12 days before my cruise. I have been fully vaccinated since March, and Royal's own website says you are fully vaccinated after your one shot J&J, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.  But I worried about this very issue - somebody misunderstanding what the rules mean. On the other hand, wouldnt it make more sense for them to have cruisers get the booster anyway - it can only help if their cruisers are more protected. I really hope this isn't an issue but I'll know in a week and a half. 

50 minutes ago, Ocean Cat said:

Boosters beyond 2nd shot aren't required by any destination country/island at this point, so RCL doesn't care.

• Like 2

Just now, jtappend said:

I'm really nervous about this as I just got my booster, and it is 12 days before my cruise. I have been fully vaccinated since March, and Royal's own website says you are fully vaccinated after your one shot J&J, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.  But I worried about this very issue - somebody misunderstanding what the rules mean. On the other hand, wouldnt it make more sense for them to have cruisers get the booster anyway - it can only help if their cruisers are more protected. I really hope this isn't an issue but I'll know in a week and a half. 

The only reason RCL is requiring the vaccine at all, in spite of state mandates against it, is because most destination islands, including the Bahamas, require it. I don't see any of the islands requiring boosters any time soon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Booster is not even technically available to those under 65 unless they have underlying health considerations per CDC guidelines. WHO actually made a recommendation against the boosters. Don’t think Royal could require otherwise.

Or to those in a “high risk” environment, which is the “open to interpretation catch all” category. 

OMG with the insanity here… There is no rules about boosters and 14 days.. I have to assume the agent mixed up booster and vaccine and conflated them into the same thing.. You must have your vaccine not any booster and if you got the booster it has no impact as to getting on the ship.. Calm down people… 😜😜

• Like 9

7 hours ago, mafig said:

That's ridiculous.  I think the person you spoke to misunderstood.  

For example, my cruise isn't until January.  Am I supposed to wait until then for the booster shot.?

Same here - we cruise the end of January and I got my Pfizer booster 3 weeks ago and my husband is getting his Moderna booster next week.  I don't think it's going to matter, but guess I'll find out in January.

Edited by mek

We boarded the Liberty OTS yesterday.  We received both Moderna vax back in the January/February time frame.  We had our mandatory COVID test Friday morning and later that day received the third Moderna jab.  When we checked in yesterday they only paid attention to when we received the second jab and ignored the third jab.  They did not appear to be concerned with the issue.  My advice is to get it as soon as possible which for our case the Moderna was just authorized for our group.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Booster is not even technically available to those under 65 unless they have underlying health considerations per CDC guidelines. WHO actually made a recommendation against the boosters. Don’t think Royal could require otherwise.

Anyone who received J&J can receive a booster two months after receiving their first (only) shot.