Booster shot timing

Ocean Cat

21 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Booster is not even technically available to those under 65 unless they have underlying health considerations per CDC guidelines. WHO actually made a recommendation against the boosters. Don’t think Royal could require otherwise.

Or certain occupations. My wife and I are both in our 30s without underlying conditions and both of us got our boosters due to our work (not even healthcare related work). 

4 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Or certain occupations. My wife and I are both in our 30s without underlying conditions and both of us got our boosters due to our work (not even healthcare related work). 

Same, I’m 30 but work in healthcare so I just got my booster on Saturday. As for the original question, Royal only cares about the second dose and they’re not idiots, they’ll know which to look at on your card

The medical facility I work at just started today offering boosters to all employees, but I’m afraid being less than six weeks away that it’ll show up on a Rapid Antigen test. I’d read that it can still affect a test weeks, even months, afterwards.

Any thoughts on this? I don’t want to compromise my cruise, and can always get the booster after I get back in mid-December. 

Edited by matt1

2 minutes ago, matt1 said:

The medical facility I work at just started today offering boosters to all employees, but I’m afraid being less than six weeks away that it’ll show up on a Rapid Antigen test. I’d read that it can still affect a test weeks, even months, afterwards.

Vaccines do not make you test positive. What you're thinking of is if you have tested positive, a PCR test can still give you another positive test for 90+ days after the first positive.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We boarded the Liberty OTS yesterday.  We received both Moderna vax back in the January/February time frame.  We had our mandatory COVID test Friday morning and later that day received the third Moderna jab.  When we checked in yesterday they only paid attention to when we received the second jab and ignored the third jab.  They did not appear to be concerned with the issue.  My advice is to get it as soon as possible which for our case the Moderna was just authorized for our group.  

Thanks for this update!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, matt1 said:

Any thoughts on this? I don’t want to compromise my cruise, and can always get the booster after I get back in mid-December. 

Vaccines have zero effect on Antijen tests 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jtappend said:

They don't give out separate booster cards, I asked. The booster is noted on your original card.

I'll confirm that. I got my booster Friday afternoon, and DW got hers Saturday morning. In both cases, we needed to have our card, and both were noted on our existing cards.

I have seen and heard that some folks to get new cards, but I also have seen and heard that some facilities are using large stickers to note doses, so those folks need a new card. 

Personally, I'm quite happy to just have the one card, and I appreciate the places we went to for not taking up the whole thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

And no one is going to ask for proof that you're in a recommended group.

I went to my normal doctor for my booster and they had me sign a sheet that attested I was part of an eligible group. Would that ever be held against me if I lied? Probably not...but they asked for me to sign off on it. The form itself came from our State department of health. 

• Like 1

My wife and I got our Moderna booster shot on Saturday. My wife did fine with no side effects. However, I spent Sunday flat on my back with chills, headache and fatigue. It felt like i had the old fashioned flu....YUCK! Today I am much better. My wife says I am very reactive to vaccines. I almost died ....really...when I got a shot Demerol before a minor knee surgery. The docs had to call a 'code' on me. I woke up with three doctors and two nurses around me.

The fact that I had gotten my booster exactly two weeks before boarding a recent cruise (MSC, not Royal) led to a few minutes of confusion. The person checking vaccine cards said I may not be able to cruise because I got a shot so recently.

But .. the card documents that I was fully vaccinated six months ago, and the booster is just icing on the cake. Also, even if that had been my second shot instead of third, two weeks is the required waiting period. She had to check with someone, but fortunately the supervisor was as puzzled as I was at the question. #TooVacinatedToCruise

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mafig said:

DH and I got our FLU shots last week.  There's conflicting info. on whether we can get our booster right away or should wait two weeks.   Anyone know the latest ???

Yes. See https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2021-2022.htm#Getting-a-Flu-Vaccine-During-the-COVID-19-Pandemic

"Yes, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and a flu vaccine at the same time.

Even though both vaccines can be given at the same visit, people should follow the recommended schedule for either vaccine: If you haven’t gotten your currently recommended doses of COVID-19 vaccine, get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as you can, and ideally get a flu vaccine by the end of October"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mafig said:

DH and I got our FLU shots last week.  There's conflicting info. on whether we can get our booster right away or should wait two weeks.   Anyone know the latest ???

We got our flu shots and our booster shots at the same time at CVS.  

We also presented our vaccine cards which had stickers for each dose we'd previously received.  Because the stickers covered most of the front of the card, they gave us each a new card for our booster shot.

Edited by cruisemom2

37 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

The fact that I had gotten my booster exactly two weeks before boarding a recent cruise (MSC, not Royal) led to a few minutes of confusion. The person checking vaccine cards said I may not be able to cruise because I got a shot so recently.

But .. the card documents that I was fully vaccinated six months ago, and the booster is just icing on the cake. Also, even if that had been my second shot instead of third, two weeks is the required waiting period. She had to check with someone, but fortunately the supervisor was as puzzled as I was at the question. #TooVacinatedToCruise

I've been stressing about this issue happening to me and I'll be 12 days out from my booster.  Shouldn't matter, obviously, but you just never know who is going to check your card. Glad to hear the supervisor understood the rules - fully vaccinated means ignore the booster.

• Like 1

We haven't boarded yet, to put this to the test, but one of our group of 14 kept having CVS cancel his first COVID vax shot.  He finally got it 3 weeks ago today.  And we board in 2 weeks.  He's at exactly the 14 day mark (luckily our cruise got cut down by a day as he wouldn't have been able to board if it left on Sunday as originally booked).  We verified with Royal that this was okay.  They confirmed that it was.  I will know for sure in two weeks.  But his vaccination of Pfizer meets the rules.

Hubby and I got our Pfizer boosters on Friday because he has a compromised immune system.  I was flattened worse than the 2nd dose.  I'm still a bit achy, but at least the fever and chills and most of the aches and pains and fatigue are gone.

I recounted that so that people can decide for themselves.  I wanted us both to be well protected before getting on board, especially as the Pfizer vaccine's protectiveness seems to wane precipitously by the 8th month.  If I had had Moderna, I might have waited.  If I had the J&J, I'd definitely get the booster ASAP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Anyone who received J&J can receive a booster two months after receiving their first (only) shot. 

And, that list of preexisting conditions is a mile long.  

Here is one we can all likely get behind:  BMI 25 or greater.  That ought to cover at lease half of everybody...  😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt1 said:

From my research concerning booster shots a vaccine will not cause one to be positive on a PCR or antigen test.  What could very well show positive is on a antibody test.  Do not confuse ANTIGEN test vs ANTIBODY test!   The ones that we do at home with our test kits from RCCL are ANTIGEN tests.   What the vaccine does is cause the body to produce antibodies to the virus. 

We will both be getting our booster shots 15 days from our cruise date. We both had Moderna and very much want that extra antibody boost before getting on a ship. 

• Like 2