Ship employee requests.

codeyell0

On my last cruise (not RCL) I spent much time talking with the crew.  I love to learn what lives are like in other countries. Not just what we see on TV.
One of the things I noticed and it may differ per cruise line but I doubt it.  Employees don't get off the ship to buy supplies often. Even in home port only a few people leave. They can get Amazon packages. I noticed them while leaving the ship one day.  I asked and they said they can get amazon in miami (home port)
We wound up getting our cabin attendant bar soup as she asked for it.  They get some things or sometimes someone runs out and grabs things from cozumel or major ports.  
In the cruise line forum(MSC) they started a post to get items people can bring on board.  Sometimes money isn't what they need. Especially if they can't spend it on items they really need. 
So maybe we can have a list of items people can bring to help them out.  They are at the mercy of the cruise line.   Most of the time when they have a break they either do laundry or sleep.  Each level of employee has different break/off hours.  

I made a joke with one of the employees saying someone is going to get a bunch of personal items and became the Mob boss on the ship.  I can imagine a ship employee walking around with a trench coat saying you wanna buy some soap? I got tooth brushes LOL

They get shampoo and shower gel.  But bar soap, tooth paste, q-tips, I think razors.  Maybe tide pens I bet those would help but they might not know about them. 

That being said if we could ask while your on your next cruise. and relay this back to us we can make a list and bring these items for them.
Most of what they want is so simple and cheap for us.   

1 minute ago, Sahib Rem Genie said:

Well, I started reading feeling sort of good, and now I'm feeling sort of sad.

I've never been on a cruise where I haven't noticed that the crew was working hard and had long hours.

I don't carry much cash anymore, but I'm always happy to adjust the automatically billed tips upwards.

The other thing I have done for my cabin attendants in the past is to let them use my excess internet time.

I was sitting eating one day when another table was talking to an employee and they said we get free internet. (they get the basic chat and email) The guy was like oh can we can hotspot off you to check our email?  I was like really? your so cheap you want to use his wifi? 
(This doesn't work anyway. You hotspot from mobile data to wifi, not wifi to wifi.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a ship store that they can use to get basic hygiene items like toothpaste (not the one for passengers -- a separate "slop chest" for employees). May not have access to a particular preferred brand, but they can get necessities. 

30 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We leave items in our stateroom .  We do not take home toothpaste,  mouthwash, hairspray and other toiletries.   I "assume" that the housekeeping staff keeps those supplies.  

I would "assume" it is more stuff for the staff to dispose of when the cruise is over.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Some home ports are also better for crew than others. I used to live a block away from the port of tampa and would see crew all the time around my neighborhood because it was easy to walk to grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. Compare this to a place like port of Miami where even if they get off the ship they then have to call an Uber just to go anywhere

6 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Go's in the bin ..leave $$$$$$

We are generous tippers- Always leave extra cash that we hand to our housekeeping, wait, bar staff and concierge's in the suite lounge.   Many people leave nothing extra.  These people work so hard- dig into your pockets and give cash- the bin stuff can be tossed- a choice.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

We have started doing a gift bag with a lot of the items you mentioned. We also include ink pens which was one crew member wish list. The dollar tree is a great place to stuff a  bag full of snacks and personal items for very little money and our way of welcoming them back. ( incidentally this is not our tip just a little extra love). On our last cruise our cabin attendant was in tears when we gave it to  him. They really do appreciate it and if they don't need it they can give it to a friend. this way they can save their hard earned money for other items.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Compare this to a place like port of Miami where even if they get off the ship they then have to call an Uber just to go anywhere

Or Port Canaveral.  There is literally nothing but a few restaurants within walking distance and thats only if they are at terminal 1.  

To keep on topic, I leave cash only.  They seem to really appreciate that.

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We are generous tippers- Always leave extra cash that we hand to our housekeeping, wait, bar staff and concierge's in the suite lounge.   Many people leave nothing extra.  These people work so hard- dig into your pockets and give cash- the bin stuff can be tossed- a choice.

No choice.  Next cruise ask the hotel director or deck supervisor. Glad you are a generous tipper.

6 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

We have started doing a gift bag with a lot of the items you mentioned. We also include ink pens which was one crew member wish list. The dollar tree is a great place to stuff a  bag full of snacks and personal items for very little money and our way of welcoming them back. ( incidentally this is not our tip just a little extra love). On our last cruise our cabin attendant was in tears when we gave it to  him. They really do appreciate it and if they don't need it they can give it to a friend. this way they can save their hard earned money for other items.

I was not saying don't tip.  But this is a great Idea and doesn't cost much.
They might have a store but they would not ask for specific items if they had access to everything. 
If all you want is item X it can be worth its weight in gold if you can't get it.

My goal is to know what RCL employees want most. For all i know they can't get gum, or lotion.  
Also I don't know if the ship charges a premium for items the employees need. Like they charge us. 

WRT getting "stuff"- one thing to keep in mind right now is that few of the crew get shore leave.  And I'm not even sure they can even get off in ports not named CocoCay.  

So it can be worth asking to get something for them at the next stop.  I would not assume, though- get a shopping list if you can.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

WRT getting "stuff"- one thing to keep in mind right now is that few of the crew get shore leave.  And I'm not even sure they can even get off in ports not named CocoCay.  

So it can be worth asking to get something for them at the next stop.  I would not assume, though- get a shopping list if you can.

Thank you

I spoke to one guy who had not left the ship in months.

Post COVID shopping for crew members.

On Our Symphony sailing two weeks ago we heard about the store RCI has provided for crew that sail to St. Thomas.

It is dubbed by the crew, THE BUBBLE STORE.

With the cooperation of port authorities a new crew only store is available to crew only.

Crew members with masks are driven on a bus (they have to pay, ($7-10) round trip.

The store is located near port and is exclusive for them.  They can buy all basic necessities there, from personal products to bath, to treats.  Although limited selection, they are happy they can now shop. The store takes suggestions to provide future items.

They look forward to this outing, and they use some of their tip money to get their needs and wants.

Not making this a tipping thread, but we left some cash for our attendants to get what they want.

Stay safe

• Like 3

We got off a RC ship four weeks ago.

We asked our cabin attendant if there was anything we could pick up for him in Cozumel.

He told us the crew ship stores where will stock. But after talking with him some more, he did till us one thing  he really missed that was not available.  BBQ potato chips. So we went to the local food store on our way back to the ship and came back with six bags of BBQ chips. Needles to say he was very thrilled.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, johnlcruise said:

So we went to the local food store on our way back to the ship and came back with six bags of BBQ chips. Needles to say he was very thrilled.

we would be happy to do that, however, during Covid we are limited to bubble excursions and cannot just go shopping. Hence, I'd have to bring something from home, bought in advance. Thankfully, we are flying on Delta and have a 50# limit (we usually fly on Spirit with a 40# limit which is pretty severe).

33 minutes ago, johnlcruise said:

We got off a RC ship four weeks ago.

We asked our cabin attendant if there was anything we could pick up for him in Cozumel.

He told us the crew ship stores where will stock. But after talking with him some more, he did till us one thing  he really missed that was not available.  BBQ potato chips. So we went to the local food store on our way back to the ship and came back with six bags of BBQ chips. Needles to say he was very thrilled.

I think I saw you in the elevator on Independence.  I asked what you were going to do with all those chips….. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh good grief! This is all ridiculous.  They're doing a JOB. A job they signed up for and chose to pursue.  Treat them like the professionals they are, treat them with dignity.  If it's a position where to do so is appropriate, and you want  to offer more, give them money.  Anyone buying socks or providing other such items for crew members is only feeding their own fragile ego.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1