"ALWAYS INCLUDED" PERHAPS CELEBRITY SHOULD RETHINK THIS ONE

Spif Barwunkel

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

When someone asks to have dinner with me, I ask them to write a check.  I thought everyone did this?  How do you think I afford these cruises?

watch out it's not one that will bounce  by the time you can get it to the bank..

Edited by ChucktownSteve

4 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

watch out it's not one that will bounce  by the time you can get it to the bank..

Oh Steve.  Do you think I was born yesterday?  I also bring a credit card machine.  🙂

It is so sad to see how, when one hungry "shark" attacks an innocent victim, a feeding frenzy begins -- as the wild animals go absolutely berserk from the smell or sight of blood.

It happens in nature, and it happens here at CruiseCritic.  We have been the "innocent victim," time and time again.  But that's OK, because far better people (than we are) have been treated even worse, at many points in history.  We unite our sufferings with theirs.

We would like to thank the many people who had sufficient intelligence to realize that we didn't deserve to be slimed -- and who had the "classiness" not to try to brutalize us (even if they disagreed with us).

Edited by jg51
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On going first class, we have found that paying four times the cost of tourist on flights doesn't set well with our balance sheet.

We occasionally stay a five star hotels, especially in third world countries, but usually, in Europe, we like B&Bs the most where we get to know the owners and enjoy a wonderful free breakfast and lodging that is sometimes 1/3 the cost.  Yes, sometimes our lodging space is half the size of a room in a 5 star hotel, but how much time do we spend in the room.  We have all the amenities we want in a B&B.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jg51 said:

Many people who book interior cabins may be embarrassed to admit that fact here, since they come to this board and see post after post, thread after thread, being written by wealthy (and extremely wealthy) people that disdain interior rooms and are willing to book only veranda cabins and suites.  In other words, the folks who book interior cabins (as we do) are made to feel like "second-class" guests -- or even mere "steerage" riffraff!

I sailed a few cruises in an inside stateroom and had the best sleeps of my life!  😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

On going first class, we have found that paying four times the cost of tourist on flights doesn't set well with our balance sheet.

If you'd only be paying 4X 'tourist' for international, you'd be getting off cheap these days!

If it weren't for United's GPU's (international upgrade certificates) and a boatload of miles accumulated over the years, I wouldn't even consider upgrading to first from a business ticket.  Was just looking at a R/T fare to a particular European city from Denver for February, and while cheaper that some I've seen recently at over $10K a ticket, whew!  $620 in basic economy ('tourist'), over $4100 in business, and over $8500 in first!

We've really enjoyed the B&B thing, too, particularly in the UK.  However, they do get a little weirded out when asked for breakfast preferences and I include 'streaky' as part of the fry up.

• Like 1

We have a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver to LA on another cruise line. That's over 10 hours each way with a layover from the east coast.  Economy air is included in the cruise price.  I called Friday to inquire about the upgrade cost.  It's only $1,200 pp.  The cabin comfort, service and airline lounges during layovers are worth it to us. My DW hates long flights so this is my deposit into her emotional bank account.  That way I can take debits when I need em.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We have a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver to LA on another cruise line. That's over 10 hours each way with a layover from the east coast.  Economy air is included in the cruise price.  I called Friday to inquire about the upgrade cost.  It's only $1,200 pp.  The cabin comfort, service and airline lounges during layovers are worth it to us. My DW hates long flights so this is my deposit into her emotional bank account.  That way I can take debits when I need em.

When we have a long layover on a flight, like 6-8 hours, we usually pay the modest fee for the Delta Sky Lounges, which have comfortable seating, free drinks and food.  Since you save on buying a meal, it is almost a break even trade.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

TR, I don't enjoy wading through anything whether I understand it or not. I want a navigable 50 yard freestyle in record time. Not always possible, I know. However, when you are trying to woo customers back from cruising hibernation doesn't it make more sense if it takes less effort? The easy way is out there, TR, we all know that. Celebrity just needs to show the way. And, the only excuse X needs is satisfaction for all it's customers. I hope this is not all roses and lollipops.

@Spif Barwunkel I agree with the premise of your thread.  I am not in any way a marketing expert or pretend to be one.  But I am surrounded by marketing efforts to me every day all day.  I get ads here on CC, on social media, every web page I visit, by email, by text, by phone and yes still in my snail mail.  Almost without exception the ads are not fully truthful and come with fine print that needs to be understood before I choose to buy the product.  Many are simple to understand.  The more complicated and confusing decisions that I have are from the companies that go out of their way to confuse us by creating new terms, misleading language, and multiple choices- each with a catch.  Sign up for a new mobile carrier lately?  Buy a car?  The list is endless.  I would put cruises in this latter category.  Confuse and conquer I call it.  Royal Caribbean Group is posting billion dollar losses.  Maybe somebody there will figure out the correct transparent program to get us all back.  But they know people have pent up demand and their bookings look excellent in 2022 and 2023.  So as frustrating as it is sometimes their marketing seems to be working for them.  

• Like 2

You can cruise, stay at a hotel, dine or fly first class for a premium cost, and still hear ths unrelenting crying baby or noisy party next door..Been there done that.

OP's  issue was more about choice than exclusivity, I think???

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I am not in any way a marketing expert or pretend to be one. 

Don't feel bad !!! ( LOL )

Neither are 92.638 % of the Marketing " Experts " in many companies.

Example--- Who the hell thought up this AI " gimmick "--- For s--t sake, just gimme a price for the cabin and let me choose options------ except , always include gratuities with NO option to remove at any time.

Ya gotta have rocks in your head to pay $ 30 per day per person for things you don't need.

Ever try reading or understanding the disclaimers on products advertised on tv ?

" It could lead to blah, blah, blah or cause xxx-- "  ----all of which are worse than what you are taking the " stuff " for anyway.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 10:32 AM, 4774Papa said:

Yes, but we had to choose better Luminae and them. They already had secured specific assigned 6PM seating instead of Select.  Not sure, how we would have accomplished that.

It's one of the many hidden "perks". You can bring guests into Luminae as long as you're willing to pay the fee. Assuming there is availability, and that the prices haven't changed it's $20/30/50 (breakfast/lunch/dinner), per person. To be clear, I am not suggesting you should have done so, I'm just telling you that the option existed.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:37 AM, jg51 said:

In over ten years here at CruiseCritic, we have only very rarely seen folks talking about their interior cabins.  We suspect that the cause of this fact is the following: 

Many people who book interior cabins may be embarrassed to admit that fact here, since they come to this board and see post after post, thread after thread, being written by wealthy (and extremely wealthy) people that disdain interior rooms and are willing to book only veranda cabins and suites.  In other words, the folks who book interior cabins (as we do) are made to feel like "second-class" guests -- or even mere "steerage" riffraff!

We have stayed in Interiors to Family suites. 

I did complain about the size of our NCL Getaway interior. (but we may book one again!)

That being said, every time DH & I get a balcony, we lament how little time we spend on the balcony, much less in the room.

We would rather travel more. Therefore we choose the best value room available. 

I've never felt 2nd class on a ship nor by any passenger. By & large no one knows who is in a suite or not (with these new suite guests only areas on many lines I suppose the suite guests are now more aware of it than the rest of us). The beauty of cruising is that we ALL get the pool, shows, restaurants. 

I'm not belittling others for paying more for a balcony or suite. For some, this is worth it. 

To each his own.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

You can cruise, stay at a hotel, dine or fly first class for a premium cost, and still hear ths unrelenting crying baby or noisy party next door..Been there done that.

OP's  issue was more about choice than exclusivity, I think???

That is correct, hcat. Even more, it is about clarity of choice. That being said, does exclusivity come into play here? Do those folks with unlimited spending capability require less clarity in their cruising choices because a satisfactory bottom line is all that matters, exclusive of economic status? Whereas, those folks with more tightly controlled expenditures may not be as comfortable with what they are actually paying for, relative to their needs and desires. No matter how enjoyable and gratifying the vacation, if one is concerned about unnecessary expense, it casts a shadow over the entire experience. 

Choices are good, and, necessary. Too many choices, with too many variables, not so much.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brownc424 said:

It's one of the many hidden "perks". You can bring guests into Luminae as long as you're willing to pay the fee. Assuming there is availability, and that the prices haven't changed it's $20/30/50 (breakfast/lunch/dinner), per person. To be clear, I am not suggesting you should have done so, I'm just telling you that the option existed.

Aware of that option, but not willing to pay $100 for a couple to dine with us.

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

That is correct, hcat. Even more, it is about clarity of choice. That being said, does exclusivity come into play here? Do those folks with unlimited spending capability require less clarity in their cruising choices because a satisfactory bottom line is all that matters, exclusive of economic status? Whereas, those folks with more tightly controlled expenditures may not be as comfortable with what they are actually paying for, relative to their needs and desires. No matter how enjoyable and gratifying the vacation, if one is concerned about unnecessary expense, it casts a shadow over the entire experience. 

Choices are good, and, necessary. Too many choices, with too many variables, not so much.

Sure, some people have wealth so they don't have to be very concerned about prices.

I suppose we are what you call comfortable.   In, the last 10 years, since I retired, we have spent about $250,000 on travel and been to 78 foreign countries and 20 ocean cruises.  

Still, I was raised by parents that grew up during the great depression.  Waste not and seek value when you buy something.  Why fly Business or First class when tourist works?   Why pay thousands for a cruise with free booze and internet when on past cruises you enjoyed free happy hour drinks and a limited internet and only spent an average of about $350 (for two) on these items for a two week cruise?   

5 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Sure, some people have wealth so they don't have to be very concerned about prices.

I suppose we are what you call comfortable.   In, the last 10 years, since I retired, we have spent about $250,000 on travel and been to 78 foreign countries and 20 ocean cruises.  

Still, I was raised by parents that grew up during the great depression.  Waste not and seek value when you buy something.  Why fly Business or First class when tourist works?   Why pay thousands for a cruise with free booze and internet when on past cruises you enjoyed free happy hour drinks and a limited internet and only spent an average of about $350 (for two) on these items for a two week cruise?   

Carnival.com

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Carnival.com

My Son has done Carnival and enjoyed his cruise, but not sure it is my style.

We like Royal Caribbean's smaller ships.  RCI has better entertainment than Celebrity and its MDR dining is pretty good, just a notch below Celebrity.   Our third choice was NCL, but they went with bundled pricing and their  prices are higher than RCI, while still lower than Celebrity.

We are not keen to cruise with masking all the time, so we will likely hold up on booking a cruise for a while.

GO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

A few days ago we booked a 7 day Apex Nov 13 cruise which would wind up being the second leg of a B2B. When I initially did a fake booking to see how much a SV would cost, the result did not include AI. However, when we contacted our CVP to book the cruise, she automatically included the AI perks, which was fine with us, with the resulting fare increasing $220 pp, or $31.40/day/person.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the All Included perks being automatically added, but $31 pp/day for gratuities, unlimited internet and the classic beverage package seems pretty reasonable to us.

In addition, it’s starting to appear that after the final payment due date has past, cruise fare pricing is being quoted online without AI on many of the applicable cruises. If nothing else based on existing CWC guidelines if you want to eliminate the AI perks from your existing booking and it makes economical sense to do so, you might be able to refare your booking without AI and get the difference posted to your booking as nonrefundable OBC.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:15 AM, jagoffee said:

As I understand Celebrity is running a special currently that allows you to book with a NRD, no perks(AI) and a 20% discount and allows you to pick a cabin.  The sounds what you and others are requesting.

You can use your CC benefits without any dilution.  Did you or others book under this offer?  Expires in November 1, so you better hurry.

What  you describe is what I believe the problem to be.  I tried a booking without giving my CC # and got an all included price. I then tried it again entering my CC# and the cruise was priced $1050 less but with no perks. Add streaming internet for 2, premium drink package, gratuities and $300@ on board credit, my price for using my CC # is far higher. Either a mistake or deception. Does not make sense for a CC member to pay more for a all inclusive cruise than someone who is not a member or simply doesn't use their number when booking. 

Going to call and see if I can get this sorted out. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, molemaui said:

What  you describe is what I believe the problem to be.  I tried a booking without giving my CC # and got an all included price. I then tried it again entering my CC# and the cruise was priced $1050 less but with no perks. Add streaming internet for 2, premium drink package, gratuities and $300@ on board credit, my price for using my CC # is far higher. Either a mistake or deception. Does not make sense for a CC member to pay more for a all inclusive cruise than someone who is not a member or simply doesn't use their number when booking. 

Going to call and see if I can get this sorted out. 

Interesting. I just did what you did, with and without my CC number on my above referenced Apex booking, and got the same results you described. I also tried it by just clicking on the Military option and got the AI included in the resulting offer. It’s only when you add the CC number that the AI perks and associated cost increase are removed.  It will be interesting to see if this discrepancy continues to exist after the current 20% sale ends.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

A few days ago we booked a 7 day Apex Nov 13 cruise which would wind up being the second leg of a B2B. When I initially did a fake booking to see how much a SV would cost, the result did not include AI. However, when we contacted our CVP to book the cruise, she automatically included the AI perks, which was fine with us, with the resulting fare increasing $220 pp, or $31.40/day/person.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the All Included perks being automatically added, but $31 pp/day for gratuities, unlimited internet and the classic beverage package seems pretty reasonable to us.

In addition, it’s starting to appear that after the final payment due date has past, cruise fare pricing is being quoted online without AI on many of the applicable cruises. If nothing else based on existing CWC guidelines if you want to eliminate the AI perks from your existing booking and it makes economical sense to do so, you might be able to refare your booking without AI and get the difference posted to your booking as nonrefundable OBC.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

Sounds unbelievably cheap as the tips alone are $15.50 per person per day.

The other point you make could be very interesting at least for sailings upto May 22 when the CWC runs out.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It will be interesting to see if this discrepancy continues to exist after the current 20% sale ends.

It's not really a discrepancy.  By adding your CC # they are showing you the lowest fare which happens to include the Loyalty NRD promo.   This promo is scheduled to end Nov 1.