Does priority boarding still exist ?

lovescarborough

I've read threads on here with details of how strict the new boarding times are but I just wondered if anyone knew how these were allocated. In the distant pre Covid past I remember the priority being Aqua class followed by Elite plus then Elite etc. Obviously I know suites are different. With hotel checkout times being mid morning it does present a problem to those needing to stay overnight pre cruise. 

• Like 1

Suites board as they arrive.

For other cabin classes, the net of the policy is simple:  If there is someone at the pier with an earlier slot, they will board ahead of you.  That general rule covers a myriad of possible cases.

Slots are allocated during electronic check-in and seem not to be awarded at all on the basis of cabin class.  Even suites must pick slots, even though irrelevant.  X's brilliant IT at work again, there. 

Referring back to your check-in at a later date may reveal a more appealing check-in time.  Often, at the start, only the last time slot is shown as available.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

Currently suites are the only category with priority boarding.

The times are allocated on a first come first serve basis. Do the online check in early and you will have a larger choice of slots.

Personally I don’t even mind the system. Besides the testing (Apex in Greece) the actual check in process didn’t even take us 10 minutes without any lines at all.

51 minutes ago, canderson said:

Often, at the start, only the last time slot is shown as available.

Just to be precise here, often only the 3-3:30 PM slot is shown as available.  That's what's been the case on at least 2 of my recent 3 check-ins (I don't remember how the first one went), and that's what's been reported by many others.  Both those sailings have had later check-in times once everything opened up.

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

The system seems to be working with turning up at your allocated time.

We were slightly early in Southampton- 11.35 for 12 noon check in. Our cases were loaded on to the trolley from the taxi and we were told we could proceed to check in as it was open.

5A08EC1A-BF70-4BB6-B713-3CBA1856BD0B.thumb.jpeg.89639574576919e431706b35e4d68008.jpeg

Also know that if you get a late boarding time, keep checking.  We were able to change ours to an earlier time closer to sailing.  

As has been said, only suites get priority at this time.  Everyone else normally has to show up at the required time (it could of course vary depending on the capacity of a particular sailing).  Truth be told, in the past as Elite Plus and usually AQ, we often found the 'standard' check-in lines shorter than ours!  It was getting to the point that if everyone has priority, then no one really does.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, DCPIV said:

Just to be precise here, often only the 3-3:30 PM slot is shown as available.  That's what's been the case on at least 2 of my recent 3 check-ins (I don't remember how the first one went), and that's what's been reported by many others.  Both those sailings have had later check-in times once everything opened up.

I was expecting that when I checked in for our upcoming cruise. That time wasn’t even offered. The first offered was 11:30 and the last was 2:00

We sailed on the Millennium out of Seattle in early October.  We were given a time-frame, 1:30 to 2:30 to board.  When we arrived at the pier, around 2:PM, we walked right up, showed our documents including vaccination cards and Covid test, were cleared and immediately entered the terminal.  We went to a desk, were checked in and then on our way to our cabin.  No waiting whatsoever.  Better than priority.

• Like 3

We sailed on the Summit back in September and arrived 30 minutes earlier than assigned time. We asked if it was ok to enter & was told ok. Entering the terminal we were the only passengers and were able to pick agent to assist us! I believe this is the exception since we only had 245 passengers! 

1 hour ago, LJJQ said:

We sailed on the Summit back in September and arrived 30 minutes earlier than assigned time. We asked if it was ok to enter & was told ok. Entering the terminal we were the only passengers and were able to pick agent to assist us! I believe this is the exception since we only had 245 passengers! 

Yes, Summit has been sailing with so few passengers that they aren't quite as concerned. They also have that large terminal where folks can wait inside if they are early. 

• Thanks 1

Boarded the Edge yesterday. With so few passengers there was no priority boarding. We arrived at 11:15 with a 11.30am checking in time. Was directed to a different queue but walked right in and was checked in right away. The ship wasn't ready yet so they spaced out groups of people in the upstairs waiting area. When it was time to board they had each section, which had maybe 25 people in each section, go through to be scanned to board. The sections where arranged by when you arrived at the upstairs waiting area, and was not further divided by status or cabin. Was on board before noon. 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:23 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Also know that if you get a late boarding time, keep checking.  We were able to change ours to an earlier time closer to sailing.  

As has been said, only suites get priority at this time.  Everyone else normally has to show up at the required time (it could of course vary depending on the capacity of a particular sailing).  Truth be told, in the past as Elite Plus and usually AQ, we often found the 'standard' check-in lines shorter than ours!  It was getting to the point that if everyone has priority, then no one really does.

Quite true,. 

For our last 2 pre Covid cruises, they were taking Concierge class ahead of AQ and E plus..wanted to get them on in time for their boarding day  luncheon,  So AQ and E plus lost a perk.

Now X  has moved the Concierge lunch to another day..,Boarding day was a big attraction to avoid 1st day buffet crowds..so a reduced perk for  Concierge class for now.