Positive Covid Test whilst on RC!

1 hour ago, di T said:

Nightmare! We are away in January but this time not with RCL and it’s a worry if something like this happens. You did the right thing at the time to help others, We will be back on RCL in May and June returning to Barca and I would hate this to happen, surely this must becoming to an end it’s been such awful experiences for everyone. The kids will be glad to get back to school I bet! 

It was a worry speaking to the passenger from Aida, which I think are part of carnival because they have left him high and dry. We have two Princess cruises booked for Mar/May and I think they are carnival. I doubt they will take unvaccinated children next year even though you can make the bookings, but despite this situation RC are really trying to help and for that I’m grateful. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Too bad there aren’t communication devices that could instantly translate something for us. 🤔

My mobile phone will do that! For instance, google "translate - your words - into spanish" and it will say it for you!

12 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I wish only the best for you and your Family!!....I hope this very sad tale gives American's pause if they plan to sail in Europe right now...

Yes indeed, just reading this thread has me thinking about NOT doing the planned Baltic Summer of 2022 and just going to Cancun instead. Looks as if "this thing" will be still raging on thru next year!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

My mobile phone will do that! For instance, google "translate - your words - into spanish" and it will say it for you!

There is also a great app called iTranslate Translator.  🙂  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rangers1982 said:

you don’t get a menu, you just get a bag left outside your door, every bag has a tiny bottle of water, a pear, some kind of coconut yogurt and in a box just some kind of slop mainly it’s some kind of cold fish, and a small bread roll. Everything is plastic including the knife and forks. If this food was served in prison it would start a riot. 

I mean for the uber eats.

• Like 2

This sounds like my nightmare and why I'm concerned about our future cruise.

Wonder what would happen if we tested positive while on board. Cruising from Miami in January and we are from Europe. Would they put us in a private jet and fly us back home or would we have to stay in a quarantine hotel somewhere in Miami. Any ideas which are the quarantine hotels around there? 

We were on your sailing.  Thank you for doing the right thing and reporting your daughter's symptoms right away.  

I hope things improve in the hotel soon.  Today was a holiday in the area so that might be part of the issue, maybe the staff working on a holiday is less motivated, has less English, etc and things will improve tomorrow?  I hope so.  It could even be that the normal caterers are closed today.  

You might try the just eat app or online just-eat.es  This is the company that owns grubhub, Lieferando in Germany, etc...w.e find we can nearly always get English menus for delivery in every country through them.

Maybe you can ask the RCI rep to get a care package to each kid with puzzles, paper and crayons, etc to help pass the time?  That seems reasonable to me.  It must be tough with two little ones in such a small space and nothing to entertain them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rangers1982 said:

There was some comments yesterday about testing, what I will say is we requested a test (not RC) we did so because my daughter had a slight cough. Even though our current situation is really awful, I have no regrets, everyone onboard has a responsibility for the health of other passengers.

covid for my daughter was mild but potentially could kill someone else onboard. It wasn’t a situation to be selfish. 

I want to get home with my family ASAP but we will cruise again. 

Thank you for your wonderful attitude, I'm glad Royal Caribbean is checking on you. The hardest part for me would be trying to keep the kids entertained. Thinking of you, hoping this all a distant memory shortly

16 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Thank you for your wonderful attitude, I'm glad Royal Caribbean is checking on you. The hardest part for me would be trying to keep the kids entertained. Thinking of you, hoping this all a distant memory shortly

Thank you it was absolutely the right thing to do, and would do it again. Although I don’t think I will ever forget, my birthday was on Thursday and from my neighbourhood balcony I could see the table we booked at Wonderland empty, that was a tough day. 

But what can you do, I need to teach my kids a moral compass that sometimes the hardest thing to do is the right thing to do.

*update from RC they uploaded $200 dollars to an Uber eats account and we’ve managed to eat. Fair play to them they reacted instantly on Twitter and generally tried to help. 

RC will lose lots of money on our booking as they will refund our cruise, drinks package, unlimited dining, shore excursions, pay for this hotel which will be €1000s (even though an absolute dump) our Uber eats vouchers and flights home. 

But they will gain a customer for life, with lots of bookings heading their way. 

Edited by Rangers1982
  • Like 43

1 hour ago, Rangers1982 said:

Thank you it was absolutely the right thing to do, and would do it again. Although I don’t think I will ever forget, my birthday was on Thursday and from my neighbourhood balcony I could see the table we booked at Wonderland empty, that was a tough day. 

But what can you do, I need to teach my kids a moral compass that sometimes the hardest thing to do is the right thing to do.

*update from RC they uploaded $200 dollars to an Uber eats account and we’ve managed to eat. Fair play to them they reacted instantly on Twitter and generally tried to help. 

RC will lose lots of money on our booking as they will refund our cruise, drinks package, unlimited dining, shore excursions, pay for this hotel which will be €1000s (even though an absolute dump) our Uber eats vouchers and flights home. 

But they will gain a customer for life, with lots of bookings heading their way. 

Great attitude! I wish you the very best, and many great cruises to come.I’m a bit stressed about my 2022 cruises and we are travelling now without the kids, but we have done the uk staycation this year and really miss our 🚢 cruises.Need to get back to our favourite hobby travelling. Dianne from the beautiful Lake District ( but it’s not like cruising) 😂

2 hours ago, Rangers1982 said:

Echo what others have said, a great attitude.  So glad Royal Caribbean have come through so strongly for you. I hope the food at the hotel gets better,  at least the uber eats is an improvement .

This will be some story to tell in the years ahead 

6 hours ago, Salo said:

This sounds like my nightmare and why I'm concerned about our future cruise.

Wonder what would happen if we tested positive while on board. Cruising from Miami in January and we are from Europe. Would they put us in a private jet and fly us back home or would we have to stay in a quarantine hotel somewhere in Miami. Any ideas which are the quarantine hotels around there? 

As of right now you would quarantine at local hotel in miami.  They are not doing private charters for overseas travel.   No idea what hotels are part of their port arrangement 

As of right now royal pays but that could change by january.  Make sure to buy good travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

Just had some news that made me sad, because my daughter made two friends onboard, they were made to isolate too. So their holidays were ruined because they spent time with my daughter. Of course this makes perfect sense but is really harsh.

Imagine being made to isolate because you had a chat in the pool then got a burger from mini bites together. 

Just a scenario I hadn’t contemplated that it might be nobody in your party that gets covid but still get caught out by it. 

I’m extremely sorry and sad for those families.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Rangers1982 said:

Just had some news that made me sad, because my daughter made two friends onboard, they were made to isolate too. So their holidays were ruined because they spent time with my daughter. Of course this makes perfect sense but is really harsh.

Imagine being made to isolate because you had a chat in the pool then got a burger from mini bites together. 

Just a scenario I hadn’t contemplated that it might be nobody in your party that gets covid but still get caught out by it. 

I’m extremely sorry and sad for those families.

What a shame. Were they just quarantined on the ship or did they have to stay in Spain too?

Glad that you are at least getting better food now, RCL sound like they are doing a good job. Great that you are looking on the bright side and have not been put off cruising. Wishing you all the best.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

Were they just quarantined on the ship or did they have to stay in Spain too?

According to the Spanish regulations all close contacts have to quarantine for 10 days. There have been cases where the folks were just on the same bus for a shore tour and didn´t even know each other but just sitting a row in front/behind the positve person. Also crew like cabin stewards and waiters were sent into quarantine (but crew stays on the ship). TUI Cruises at last had it two times that 20 to 26 people were sent into quarantine on the Canary Islands (and most of them just close contacts).

steamboats

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steamboats said:

According to the Spanish regulations all close contacts have to quarantine for 10 days. There have been cases where the folks were just on the same bus for a shore tour and didn´t even know each other but just sitting a row in front/behind the positve person. Also crew like cabin stewards and waiters were sent into quarantine (but crew stays on the ship). TUI Cruises at last had it two times that 20 to 26 people were sent into quarantine on the Canary Islands (and most of them just close contacts).

steamboats

OMG, something to think about if you are going to Spain then.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, johnjen said:

Yes indeed, just reading this thread has me thinking about NOT doing the planned Baltic Summer of 2022 and just going to Cancun instead. Looks as if "this thing" will be still raging on thru next year!

in december i did cancun since there were no cruises. if you are dont know where to stay there. do a search on youtube for penthouse 2000 oleo and a guy named tim owns it. it's 3 levels with 2 pools and it was a very unique experience. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

@Rangers1982, I am so sorry you are going through this, but your attitude is amazing.

I am also curious about your daughter's friends - did they have to quarantine in full like you, including the 10 days in Spain?

i believe not, the girl who was deemed a close contact and had to stay in her cabin but her family could come and go as they wished. I presume at disembarking they were all allowed home. 

Just so sad her holiday was ruined too. 

• Like 2