The Daily for Friday November 05, 2021

richwmn

Today is Gunpowder Day, Guy Fawkes Day, and Men Make Dinner Day

"You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. -- Martin Luther King"

Meal suggestion for today - Lemon Shrimp with Garlicky Rice

Drink of the Day - Florida Sunrise

Wine of the day - Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon - Washington- Red

Destination of the Day - Cadiz (Seville) Spain

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Port Everglades 00:00 - 24:00

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Avalon

Funchal (Madeira); Portugal
Eurodam 07:00 - 20:00

Port Everglades FL US
Rotterdam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Panama Canal eta 11/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Freeport BS
Nieuw Statendam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage
Reports continue to show Zuiderdam in Long Beach, but the map shows her south of there. Reports from on board are that she is headed for Puerto Vallarta and will return to Long Beach on the 9th.

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1105World.thumb.png.1d46b80d8b3486825abe4975db3b472e.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Hmmm...Men Cook Dinner Day happens every day at my house now that my husband is retired.  He experimented a bit last night with a recipe on the back of a Stove Stop Stuffing box and turned some chicken breasts into a very tasty meal.  He's spreading his wings quite successfully as the stay-at-home spouse!

Love the MLK quote, and reminds me of a statement the CEO of my Company often uses..."How do you eat an elephant?......one bite at a time."  Chunk things down into smaller steps and it makes a challenge easier to face.

Hope everyone has a great day today!

• Like 31

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I guess there will be fireworks in England to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day.  I'll remind my husband that  it's officially his turn to make dinner.🙂  The dinner suggestion sounds good, maybe I'll get him to make that.

Great quote.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's destination.

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I’ll be making dinner today but not today’s recipe which sounds delicious.  Today’s quote is great advice and can be applied to many situations.  Today’s drink sounds interesting as does the wine.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to those celebrating a happy event.  Happy Friday!

• Like 25

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Most every day is men make dinner day for me.  Gun powder was a real game changer.  I expect @grapau27 will give us the real deal on Guy Fawkes Day.  Great MLK quote.  I think I've been to Cadiz once.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Garden Bounty, Breaded Lamb Chops, and Pineapple Crisp which I would have chosen on MS Prinsendam if I had not been in the Pinnacle Grill.

Today’s care list:

RIP Joseph Makar, Krazy Kruizer DH
RIP Cruisin Single BIL
Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
StLouisCruisers sore from fall
From the rotation:
rafinmd awaiting radiation - no start date yer
LaPalma
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

First Rotterdam Everglades Sailaway
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
AnceintWanderer on babysitting duty
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
summer slope’s friend Frank’s successful back surgery
mamaofami’s keeper doctor
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

An interesting collection of days. Not sure what dinner would be if DH made it.

I love the quote... sometimes taking that first step opens up so many opportunities.

The meal sounds delicious. I have been to Seville, but not on a cruise.

It is too chilly and windy here this morning for DH to put the new dining room window in, so he will continue tiling the shower and I will continue painting trim. It is supposed to warm up today and continue into next week. Tomorrow should be window day.

In between painting I will be calling HAL to inquire about a specialty dining promotion that I see on our December sailing. We spend very little extra money on cruises so if what I am seeing is correct it will be nice to experience a specialty dining restaurant or two.

Wishing everyone a fabulous Friday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

Good morning.  Men make Dinner happens here often since my hubby retired many years before I did and has gotten used to cooking.  I'll await Graham's description of Guy Fawkes.  I really like the King quote.

It has been raining all night and will continue for the whole day.  Good day to go through another box and pitch or donate.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Have not been to Spain.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Florida Sunrise:

The Florida Sunrise is an American variation of the classic Tequila Sunrise drink. An orange drink made from rum, pineapple juice and Rose's grenadine, and served over ice in a highball glass.
Ingredients
2 oz White Rum
1/2 oz Grenadine (Rose's)
Pineapple Juice
Glass: Highball Glass
Directions
Fill a highball glass with ice.
Add rum and nearly fill with pineapple juice.
Pour grenadine in the center, and allow to settle before serving.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.16.30 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Thank you Rich for our daily Daily! Quite the combination of days!

Roy thank you for our lists! Morning Dailyite family! Let’s hope we got the falls out of our systems. @cruzn single my deepest condolences on the loss of your Brother in law. May wonderful memories help ease your entire family’s pain.  

Bindi and I made it out just as the light rain was starting. Now the rains are so heavy, my HVAC folk rescheduled their visit to next week. I have to take Bindi back to the vet later, which should be a lot of fun. Not. Evidently the batch of Heartworm tests they have been using are bad. So to be safe they are retesting Bindi.  Other than that I will see what the day has in store. I am heading to a friend’s for supper. Butternut squash Soup, salad, Icelandic bread and wine. Sounds great to me. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon

Reviews for this wine are pretty elusive. So I improvised a bit. The only review I found was for the 2016 vintage, which may not be easy to find. So if you find the 2017 or 2018 vintage they seem to share the same very good rating & very decent price. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $14.95.

Matt Steeves - Certified Sommelier rated this wine as 89/100 with the following review:

A tasty Cabernet from the very impressive and often under-valued, Washington State, where Chateau Smith (of Charles Smith Wines) produces their delicious wines. The nose is full of dark cherry, black currant, chocolate, fresh herbs, and graphite. Full bodied with dusty tannins on the finish, this velvety smooth wine showcases layers of dark fruit and mocha in a super approachable style that will complement a wide range of dishes from BBQ to braised, or simply enjoy on its own. The perfect Tuesday night or entertaining wine. Tasted April 2019. 89 points. 
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday!

I always joke with Sue that I am more a "preparer" than cook/chef as I just read directions on the package.  😉

We were in Cadiz while on the Nieuw Statendam in October 2019. I did a self-directed walking tour while Sue did an excursion to Seville that included the Alcazar Palace. I will post some photos later.

• Like 30

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the Daily ,our lists.the quote and the lovely food and  beverage  department. 

If DH were the cook we would have  some nice frozen waffles or perhaps cereal for dinner.I await Graham's  Guy Fawkes information  and will pass on celebrating gunpowder.

We have been to Cadiz and went to the Alcazar  as well. It was a small CC group tour and  we found Seville and Cadiz just beautiful.

The recipe ingredients  sound good.Today I have a request for bean and cheese enchiladas  to fill.

Terry

• Like 25

Good morning everyone. I love the quote. Men make dinner used to happen here very often but not since Sam got sick.

Rich, thank you for keeping my friend in hospice on the rotation. He’s not doing well and his children and grandchildren have come from Seattle and Israel and NY to say goodbye.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Men making dinner in this house is an every day occurrence.  The bigger question is who does the dishes😆

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion unless @dfish recipes indicate that I can substitute chicken for shrimp.  Wishing everyone a nice day today.

• Like 25

thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Men make dinner - hmmm - if it’s to be edible I don’t think we will be celebrating that day 😉 

4A53D7D4-8176-4D08-A09B-45549C9AF50B.jpeg.f11ef63cb1bc8596e9f767355c85024c.jpeg

Love the Martin Luther King quote and the meal suggestion is yummy but I took fish out of the freezer for dinner tonight.  Another time.

Well, it took way too long but all the bulbs are now drying in the living room.  It’s a good thing I got it done as the temps dropped even lower last night 😱

I hope it warms up a bit.  My spring bulbs finally arrived and I need to get them in the ground.  Stupid company waiting to so long to send them 😡 

@cat shepardI feel your pain on having to take Bindi back to the vet.  OMG on defective heart worm medicine 😱 

@mamaofamiI am sorry to hear your friend is doing so poorly 😢 

Love Cadiz.  Absolutely adore that city and will go looking for some pics to post.

I couldn’t help but think about the discussion yesterday on laundry when I saw this:

15C3026F-8BB6-4599-B9A7-82F92860EC1C.jpeg.a5ba975e65b09399715e4cef68d72430.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!  I changed FB to CC on this one 😉 

23992A06-0E1B-483B-B8E9-841FF6E64B7B.jpeg.93ecfdbb08fead359078eaaae6baa951.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 26
  • Haha 13

Good morning, everyone.  

Another chilly start (34) to the day here, but it is supposed to be a nice day and warming to the high 40's.  Not much on the agenda here.  I'll putter around the house doing chores.  I'm getting ready for out of town company for Thanksgiving and want to make sure the house is in decent shape.  All of my guests have been vaccinated and boosted, so we should be in good shape.

Today's meal sounds delicious.   I love lemon and garlic.  The only problem I ran into was that the only site that had Lemon Shrimp and Garlicky Rice together is a paid site.  I don't have a subscription and I don't want to use something that would limit the rest of the Dailyites.  So, first comes a recipe for Garlic Rice:  

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/garlic-butter-rice/

Garlic-Butter-Rice-1-700x980.thumb.jpg.842c550e3248ea45ecd613c684f3f3a7.jpg

The shrimp recipes do not come with just lemon.  Most include garlic there as well.  Your choice.  I love garlic and it is so good for you that I would use it in both places.  

https://www.wellplated.com/garlic-butter-shrimp/

1943102247_Garlic-Butter-Shrimp-recipe(2).thumb.jpg.d855602f16828a07185bee114f7737a1.jpg

Here is another to consider:  https://pinchandswirl.com/lemon-garlic-butter-shrimp/

277539227_Garlic-lemon-shrimp-skillet-8(1).thumb.jpg.22ec3b826313cc1cb27f164b6d6b96c0.jpg

Lastly, here's a one pot lemon garlic shrimp

https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-lemon-garlic-shrimp-and-rice/

Lemon-Garlic-Shrimp-and-RIce-V1.thumb.jpg.dc4f9aecce7521a1b2629eed705edcb1.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

12 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Men making dinner in this house is an every day occurrence.  The bigger question is who does the dishes😆

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion unless @dfish recipes indicate that I can substitute chicken for shrimp.  Wishing everyone a nice day today.

The recipes don't say so, but you certainly could substitute chicken for the shrimp.

• Like 20

Good morning friends!  I hope today will be a sunny day.  We will have some colder temps for a few days and then get back to normal.  I guess those celebrating at the World Series championship parade will be all bundled up but happy to be there.

Thanks for our Daily today Rich!  Roy, thank you for your work on the Care and Celebration lists.  With all the deaths, surgeries, cancers on the Care list I think you can take me off for my fall.  Just that one spot on my head is sore and for that I should be grateful.  It could have been worse.  Prayers for those who we lost recently and their families.  It's great to see the nice long Celebration list.  Congrats to you all!

As for the celebration days, I'm not up to date on Guy Fawkes Day so would love to learn more on that.  Gunpowder Day - well all I can say is they always said to keep your powder dry in the old days.  Not sure that applies now.  Men Make Dinner Day!  I am blessed, like @msmayor, with a DH who cooks every day.  Yesterday he experimented with beef sausage chunks, yellow pepper, penne, white wine, broccoli and who knows what else and he was quite pleased with the results.  I didn't think it was bad either.  I don't complain unless something goes terribly wrong, then I call it a "suggestion for next time".😄  Actually the Lemon Shrimp With Garlicky Rice sounds nice.  I should give him that recipe.  The MLK quote is a good one but how ironic he mentions the staircase.  We should add "and watch EACH step".

We have explored Cadiz four times according to my lists.  Next time I should head to Seville for a change.  I've been meaning to but something always happens to change that. 

I heard today about the Pfizer Covid pill in case you come down with it.  It sounds very promising.  I'm sure the cruise lines will be stocking up for their ships if it is approved by the FDA.  And cruisers could ask their doctors for a prescription to stock up for their cruises.  Maybe someday we can get back to our normal lives. 

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 30

Good morning, all!

No man around this house to cook dinner, but today's meal sounds delicious.  That drink looks very good, too.  Rum and tequila are about the only liquors I drink.  Well, gin on occasion.  And maybe a nice single malt whiskey now and then. 😄

Went to the grocery store nice and early.  Wanted to get that out of the way and then I have no plans to leave the house again until I head to the pharmacy to get my rapid test done on the 15th.  But the store had very little of what I wanted.  And one thing I did want wasn't in my bags when I got home.  Not on the receipt, either, although I swear I put it in the cart?  Did I pick it up and put it back instead?  Am I getting senile?  By the time I'd realized it, I'd already changed into my grubby sit-around-the-house clothes, so I guess it's a trip in the morning to a different chain and hope they have some of the items.  AND, I had to scrape a light layer of ice of the windshield!  I'm not ready for this.

I did a fantastic semi B2B a Spring of 2018.  NCL Star (my 1st on NCL) Miami-Barcelona; 3 nights in an Airb2b there (which was great), then boarded Carnival's new Horizon for the westbound TA Barcelona-NY.  We did a tour from Cadiz to Seville on that stop.  Lovely day there.  Lots of walking, but after all the sea days on the EB crossing (and all the food and drinks during that time), I needed to walk.  We bailed at some point and left the group to tour a cathedral while we found a place to have a nice al fresco lunch.

No photo description available.No photo description available.

No photo description available.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

One birthday my  DD gave me euros with instructions to spend it in the boutique shops in Cadiz (her favorite shops).  It turned out to be Palm Sunday. The only shops open were souvenir types.  So I drowned my sorrow with a cold beer. And lunch near the Cathedral.  

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

Good rainy Friday morning, everyone!

The 🤬 CC gremlins struck yesterday,  plus being a busier than normal day around here.  Thanks to all to contribute to The Daily, cheers to those celebrating and hugs to those on the case list.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, glad your fall was not more serious.  

Every day is man cooks dinner here....he's always been that way, even when we were still working.  He is very creative and not afraid to tackle anything.  Me?  I call myself the "One Pot Wonder" -- pot roast, beef stew, chili -- bring it on!

Checked my cruise history and we have called on Cadiz four times.  Also went to Seville during our land tour of Portugal and Spain in 2018.  Will dig out photos of Cadiz later.

Kay

• Like 26

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and lists.

Nice days and night for Bonfire night.

Interesting quote.

I will miss the food and drink.

Seville is a nice port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211105_142041.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5