Vegan Food On Princess

jdacombe

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Forwarded to me by someone booked on September 2024 Sun Princess:

1709564530536_Screenshot_20240304_075808_Gallery.thumb.jpg.607a47c717a23b0a16854db3881992b2.jpg

Screenshot_20240301-101726_Gmail.thumb.jpg.1a680e885da5eb93365284e3d89a92ed.jpg

That top menu looks amazing. And so many veggie dishes also marked gluten free! As a vegetarian coeliac, it can be a bit of a nightmare on cruises, as it's the meat/fish dishes they tend to make GF, so for me this would be fab. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

1709564530536_Screenshot_20240304_075808_Gallery.thumb.jpg.607a47c717a23b0a16854db3881992b2.jpg

I just looked at the Vegan/Vegetarian menu again.

NONE of the Mains have the little Vegan symbol next to them!

Oversight????

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@chamima only vegan main dish is the last one: Curried Cauliflower Steak. 

@Ombud- We're on for 39 days. Not much for my vegan husband! (who doesn't like cauliflower) ! 🥵

(Although if you read the ingredients of some of those mains they have to be vegan)

(We'll hopefully find a good HeadWaiter who can have things made for him as we've done in the past)

Edited by chamima
  • Like 2

Just now, chamima said:

@Ombud- We're on for 39 days. Not much for my vegan husband! (who doesn't like cauliflower) ! 🥵

(We'll hopefully find a good HeadWaiter who can have things made for him as we've done in the past)

Not good. No pictures from buffet yet.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 8:00 AM, upwarduk said:

Isn’t there sugar in fruit ?

There is both fresh fruit and canned fruit offered. I would bet that the canned fruit has sugar but you also ask.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:28 AM, Ombud said:

Screenshot_20240301-101726_Gmail.thumb.jpg.1a680e885da5eb93365284e3d89a92ed.jpg

@Ombud thank you for sharing the menus. I just noticed that the Vegan menu lists Vegan cheese! That’s totally new for Princess. I wonder if it would be possible to request Vegan cheese on a hamburger or pizza? I also noticed that there are only two Vegan Main items. I am not vegan, just dairy free. I wonder which brand of Vegan cheese that they use?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nini said:

All I did was answer someone else's question about the fruit and sugar. Of course I realize that fruit has natural sugar. I assumed that the poster was referring to ADDED sugar in the non fresh fruit. Thank you for your pearls of wisdom and source. 

They could have asked specifically if it was canned fruit with added sugar, but did not.

The thread is about vegan food. Yet somehow the question as asked seemed to imply that a vegan diet allowed for no sugar.

• Like 1

This is a great read and good to know there are options on cruise ships.  We are vegan, but cheat when we are on vacation.  We do it for health reasons, not because we are against eating animals or animal products like some vegans are.  That being said, when we retire and cruise more often, we may get a little more strict with staying vegan on the cruises.  Now its once or twice a year so we dont worry about it, but if we were on a 14+ day cruise while retired, we would probably be more strict about it.

thanks again for the read.

• Like 2

I also appreciate this thread.  Considering cruising on Princess (have done RCCL, CCL and HAL) and was curious about vegan options.  We eat vegan at home but flex a bit - including fish - when cruising.  It is tough to get a variety of vegan food when cruising.  Each cruise line varies so much with the way they handle it. Ordering in advance is a bit of a pain - especially if  you want to decide last minute whether or not to eat in the dining room.  I've heard that Oceania is by the far the best - but haven't tried them yet.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:13 PM, chamima said:

(Although if you read the ingredients of some of those mains they have to be vegan)

I noticed this as well - one Vegan main dish.  I am optimistic that the vegetarian dishes can be prepared vegan, especially if ordered in advance.  My husband is vegan and we typically have to choose his food day before.  Seems the Vegan menu will give more options.  Also noticed addition of vegan cheeses, plant based burgers.  It's come a very long way from our first cruise when he had to bring many cans of beans on board to feed himself - lol. 

• Thanks 1

@Familycruzer11 and a long way from a slab of tofu!! I pre-order to omit pepper, low sodium, vegetarian (but vegan works). If there isn't anything I like I just ask my assigned HW to surprise me and I've never been disappointed 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, 20165 said:

This is a great read and good to know there are options on cruise ships.  We are vegan, but cheat when we are on vacation.  We do it for health reasons, not because we are against eating animals or animal products like some vegans are.  That being said, when we retire and cruise more often, we may get a little more strict with staying vegan on the cruises.  Now its once or twice a year so we dont worry about it, but if we were on a 14+ day cruise while retired, we would probably be more strict about it.

thanks again for the read.

I understand this. I don't eat meat at home, but I will have something like a beef filet or a lobster on a cruise. I hope I can look at the Vegan menu in the MDR though, as I know I would prefer veg/vegan meals most meals. The vegan menu shown on this thread is very appealing. Fingers crossed it's on the Enchanted Princess when we sail in August.

Lorie

15 hours ago, galensgrl said:

I understand this. I don't eat meat at home, but I will have something like a beef filet or a lobster on a cruise. I hope I can look at the Vegan menu in the MDR though, as I know I would prefer veg/vegan meals most meals. The vegan menu shown on this thread is very appealing. Fingers crossed it's on the Enchanted Princess when we sail in August.

Lorie

We'll let you know, we are on enchanted next month and plan on at least looking at the Vegan menu if they allow it.  Our plan is not to scrutinize everything for dairy, eggs, etc.  However, were not going to eat a big steak, probably go into meat shock...  But we will eat some seafood.  Im sure the  buffet will have vegan options which will keep us on track for at least some of the meals during the day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, galensgrl said:

Lorie

There was last November. See posts 165 & 171

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, dides said:

We just got off the Regal Princess in the last week and noticed an insta post from a fellow passenger (wansbroughs.cruise.blog) that the main dining room had a separate Vegan menu

image.png.b13a9076e5c58b9ba75fd7dc69abaf67.png

@dides did you happen to notice if the menus change or is it just that one menu? I’m not vegan, but I am dairy free and I’m hoping that the vegan menus give me more choices. I want dessert 😂

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@dides did you happen to notice if the menus change or is it just that one menu? I’m not vegan, but I am dairy free and I’m hoping that the vegan menus give me more choices. I want dessert 😂

There were 7 vegan menus last fall on the Sapphire. The only dessert I remember was sorbet ( or fruit) . But vegan also means no eggs so you may have more options.

Sorry!

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Sorry, I was sharing someone else's information - we are not vegan ourselves - hopefully others will chime in!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Even though I told my DRM on CB last March that I didn’t eat dessert, he had one prepared every night of a 10 day cruise.  All of my meals were prepared dairy free.  You shall eat dessert.

They were generally mousse-y type pies and vegan cheesecake sort of things. There was a chocolate cake one night which coincidentally was also gluten free.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Even though I told my DRM on CB last March that I didn’t eat dessert, he had one prepared every night of a 10 day cruise.  All of my meals were prepared dairy free.  You shall eat dessert.

They were generally mousse-y type pies and vegan cheesecake sort of things. There was a chocolate cake one night which coincidentally was also gluten free.

Thank you. They always make me dessert but it’s usually pudding or a mousse-y type of pie. I’m hoping for chocolate cake. 😂

34 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Any good chef can make a vegan cake. You just use Almond flour & preferably a good EVO.

Yes, but the "chefs" on cruises are cooking/baking for thousands of people. Not sure they have the freedom or impetus to make something for the tens that might be vegan.

I think they're very careful about life threatening allergies but this isn't that - and my husband is a vegan for his health so we'd be thrilled to have more choices but don't expect them on large cruiselines.

• Like 1