Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

Following on what Lisiamc said, I would possibly go with a be prepared approach - take a couple of bottles with you and see how it goes.  Its varying between ships whats on the list and what rules are applying to which wines are in each package.  A lot of "trials" going on which in itself is a trial 🙂 

I am not sure where you are cruising, but we also found some lovely places ashore to buy so bought the odd bottle ashore.  The corkage is $10 though the sommelier sometimes does not put it through every time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

The wine situation is in a state of flux at the moment. There are still some wines on some ships from before the change of ownership. Supply chain issues have meant that supply of many items is variable. On our Onward cruise, some Italian wines were added to the mix.

I have seen photos of the new Azamara branded wines, but not tried them yet. They make some sense, as the parent company also owns a winery. If they are rolled out across the fleet, it will probably take a little while. We wanted to buy a nice red for our anniversary when we were on Onward, and the sommelier had a Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino for us, a wine that we are familiar with and enjoy. She couldn’t refer to any wine list as Onward had been supplied with some Journey leftovers and some local acquisitions. We paid for the Ultimate package to get better wines with dinner, and we found several we liked.  That’s been true in the past as well.

Logistical problems, Covid restrictions, and less than optimal weather in some countries have added additional challenges in getting access to some wines. 

That’s the long answer. I suspect the short answer is it’s going to take a couple of seasons to sort out the new offerings, so try to be flexible!

Thanks for that. Clearly they are in a bit more of a mess than I had thought! At least that explains why I couldn't find much on the website. I'm not going until January next year, hopefully it will be a bit more stable by then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Following on what Lisiamc said, I would possibly go with a be prepared approach - take a couple of bottles with you and see how it goes.  Its varying between ships whats on the list and what rules are applying to which wines are in each package.  A lot of "trials" going on which in itself is a trial 🙂 

I am not sure where you are cruising, but we also found some lovely places ashore to buy so bought the odd bottle ashore.  The corkage is $10 though the sommelier sometimes does not put it through every time.

Thanks for that. I'm doing the S America cruise in January 2023 and of course that leave me some nice options to bring wine onboard. I've already found a decent wine store in Buenos Aires as well as a visit to a winery in Uruguay that looks really good. One of my loves is dessert wines and I don't trust the ship to do those properly and/or affordably, so those I will bring. I guess I can always wait to see what's available on board to see what is worth buying and what isn't. That said, I have $1000 OBC to spend and since I'm mainly sorting my own excursions, not much to spend it on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, federalexpress said:

But can anyone advise, what do you get with the better packages, premier and ultimate. Are the choices available listed somewhere?

At the moment, I'm minded to bring a fair bit of wine onboard myself and either have pre dinner drinks on my balcony or pay the corkage (is the latter still $10?). At least I'll know what I'm drinking will be good...

What’s included in the Premier & Ultimate Packages is listed on the website. https://azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard packages.

The Preium package doesn’t include any wines, but the Ultimate does. However from what is posted the list of wines listed as being available in the package may be neither up-to-date nor accurate. As you’ll also see that there are some wine lovers packages on offer, but given the comments about availability it seems to be a better bet to wait until you’re onboard & can see what’s actually available.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

What’s included in the Premier & Ultimate Packages is listed on the website. https://azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard packages.

The Preium package doesn’t include any wines, but the Ultimate does. However from what is posted the list of wines listed as being available in the package may be neither up-to-date nor accurate. As you’ll also see that there are some wine lovers packages on offer, but given the comments about availability it seems to be a better bet to wait until you’re onboard & can see what’s actually available.

Thank you, yes I saw those onboard packages, but I think your suggestion makes most sense, I don't want to spend cash on something when I don't know what I'm getting, so I'll wait till I'm onboard. Wine is a very specific thing, it matters who the producer is, and what the vintage is. I was surprised the old wine list I did see didn't have vintages. I assume the ones on board will!

I'm blessed by the fact that in doing a S America trip, I should have excellent and high quality choice buying locally, and I'm more than happy to bring on board. I did this when I went on my only other cruise, on HAL. Their corkage was a bit more and unlike Azamara, you paid it even if you drank it in your room, but then HAL isn't as price inclusive, you have to pay for every drink or buy a package. So it still made their higher corkage, 18USD per bottle from recollection, seem worth it. I think Azamara's $10 is very reasonable, it will allow me to have some good stuff in the restaurants that I can turn to if the pouring wine misses the mark, or the food calls for better quality wine. And I think I might as well stock the cabin with my own stuff given that has no charge, and get rid of those spirit bottles you get. Maybe they'll swap those for a decent bottle of wine or two...

15 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Thank you, yes I saw those onboard packages, but I think your suggestion makes most sense, I don't want to spend cash on something when I don't know what I'm getting, so I'll wait till I'm onboard. Wine is a very specific thing, it matters who the producer is, and what the vintage is. I was surprised the old wine list I did see didn't have vintages. I assume the ones on board will!

I'm blessed by the fact that in doing a S America trip, I should have excellent and high quality choice buying locally, and I'm more than happy to bring on board. I did this when I went on my only other cruise, on HAL. Their corkage was a bit more and unlike Azamara, you paid it even if you drank it in your room, but then HAL isn't as price inclusive, you have to pay for every drink or buy a package. So it still made their higher corkage, 18USD per bottle from recollection, seem worth it. I think Azamara's $10 is very reasonable, it will allow me to have some good stuff in the restaurants that I can turn to if the pouring wine misses the mark, or the food calls for better quality wine. And I think I might as well stock the cabin with my own stuff given that has no charge, and get rid of those spirit bottles you get. Maybe they'll swap those for a decent bottle of wine or two...

Second that. Bringing a few bottles on board seems to be the optimal strategy under circumstances. Worked well on my last cruise, and we decided to do the same on our next AZ cruise later this year.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, norn iron said:

However it is one bottle of one type of spirit only.

A change from four half bottles (roughly) of four different spirits to one full bottle of alcohol in the suite seems to be a cost-cutting measure,  i.e.  management, simpler logistics, delivery.  With two people per cabin, and therefore potentially two different preferences, possibly two bottles of different liquors, of whatever size?  For example one clear/white (vodka, gin, rum) and one amber/dark (whisky in one of it's permutations/dark rum).  Add the ability to switch out, there is less disruption in suite perquisites. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 1:27 PM, norn iron said:

Some quick thoughts on the positives whilst on board Onward.

There is a healthy number of experienced Azamara crew on board to help guide the newer crew into the Azamara way. Familiar faces include Elro, Elij, Nelson, Kymberly and Derrick. It was most interesting watching Derrick with his cheeky laugh train one of the new bar staff.

The waiting staff now all use iPod Touch’s to take your order and it automatically registers either with the bar or kitchen teams. Sign off in Prime C and Aqualina is on a iPad Mini, brought to the table. Big improvements.

One major change in relation to complimentary drinks, Newcastle Brown Ale on draught has gone, to be replaced by draught Carlsberg.

Complimentary wines are decent quaffing wines. I do like the generic Azamara own label, as it prevents wine snobbery.

I felt the wines recently on Onward were not as good as on previous Azamara cruises, alas. I know....very subjective,  but . .a definite decline for my taste. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

I felt the wines recently on Onward were not as good as on previous Azamara cruises, alas. I know....very subjective,  but . .a definite decline for my taste. 

On the Onward Inaugural cruise, I recognised some of the included wines as the ones that kept turning up on Pursuit in March 2020, because no one liked them and opportunities for restocking were very limited due to Covid. Due to the vintages, I can only assume that they came from Journey, or from the depths of a warehouse somewhere. Hopefully they will be gone very soon, to be replaced with something drinkable!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

On the Onward Inaugural cruise, I recognised some of the included wines as the ones that kept turning up on Pursuit in March 2020, because no one liked them and opportunities for restocking were very limited due to Covid. Due to the vintages, I can only assume that they came from Journey, or from the depths of a warehouse somewhere. Hopefully they will be gone very soon, to be replaced with something drinkable!

Yes....some were pretty grim to my taste. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 2:21 AM, uktog said:

If it’s a policy change, (there are a few) you’re just going to have to choose on or the other  🧐

That easy  for  cabin., but a  lot of weird changes this year that were not there in 21.

Ot sure I like half of them.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:58 AM, lisiamc said:

Get your vodka in Duty Free, because it’s the most likely to be a bargain, ask for the Captain Morgan’s from the butler?

I was thinking that  too. Always bringing something on to drink.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roel94 said:

I was thinking that  too. Always bringing something on to drink.

I did that in Lisbon. 1L of orange gin was about £14 and 1L of Smirnoff was £9.50

Lasted all 10 days and the 2 nights in Stockholm. 3/4 consumed so a good move.

1 minute ago, suec12 said:

Are you bringing these beverages on in "rum runners" or does Azamara allow them on? confused

Azamara treats you like a mature adult and does not expect subterfuge.  You can carry them on board both at embarkation and at any port - no limit, no challenge

• Like 2

2 hours ago, suec12 said:

Are you bringing these beverages on in "rum runners" or does Azamara allow them on? confused

Nope. The duty free in Lisbon is right next to the embarkation station and clearly visible in the bags being carried on.

Whilst wine would receive a corkage charge if drank in the restaurant, consuming in your room is fine. It lowers their bar bill if you think about it logically. I knew the orange gin wouldn't have been available onboard...... But wished I'd swapped the Smirnoff for some fever tree Clementine tonic. 😆

4 hours ago, les37b said:

I did that in Lisbon. 1L of orange gin was about £14 and 1L of Smirnoff was £9.50

Lasted all 10 days and the 2 nights in Stockholm. 3/4 consumed so a good move.

Seems illogical to buy standard spirits such as Smirnoff in duty free when it’s free on the ship. Orange gin makes more sense.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Seems illogical to buy standard spirits such as Smirnoff in duty free when it’s free on the ship. Orange gin makes more sense.

Completely agree.

I was in the queue to board (well wife was)... I  had already got the gin and went back for another. While there I got a call to say we were moving forward, so I panic bought without thinking. And to make matters worse, we were still queuing 45 minutes later! 

And the silly thing.... I never drink indoors at home. The number of times I brought a night cap drink back to the room (any cruise) and never drank it. So it was a one only before leaving to go out in the evening and it lasted rather well. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Nope. The duty free in Lisbon is right next to the embarkation station and clearly visible in the bags being carried on.

Whilst wine would receive a corkage charge if drank in the restaurant, consuming in your room is fine. It lowers their bar bill if you think about it logically. I knew the orange gin wouldn't have been available onboard...... But wished I'd swapped the Smirnoff for some fever tree Clementine tonic. 😆

So there’s a place to buy alcohol at the Lisbon port? I went to one at the port in Barcelona a couple of years ago and it was SO convenient - I didnt have to lug my three bottles from my hotel to the port. 

1 hour ago, Zoey said:

So there’s a place to buy alcohol at the Lisbon port? I went to one at the port in Barcelona a couple of years ago and it was SO convenient - I didnt have to lug my three bottles from my hotel to the port. 

Yes, absolutely. Up the top of the escalator, after you go through passport control and security. You can't miss it. It's quite well stocked. Most ports don't have one, but many do. Valletta had a great one.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, Lookyboy said:

Au contraire, I thought they were better, maybe less choice but an overall improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:55 AM, lisiamc said:

The wine situation is in a state of flux at the moment. There are still some wines on some ships from before the change of ownership. Supply chain issues have meant that supply of many items is variable. On our Onward cruise, some Italian wines were added to the mix.

I have seen photos of the new Azamara branded wines, but not tried them yet. They make some sense, as the parent company also owns a winery. If they are rolled out across the fleet, it will probably take a little while. We wanted to buy a nice red for our anniversary when we were on Onward, and the sommelier had a Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino for us, a wine that we are familiar with and enjoy. She couldn’t refer to any wine list as Onward had been supplied with some Journey leftovers and some local acquisitions. We paid for the Ultimate package to get better wines with dinner, and we found several we liked.  That’s been true in the past as well.

Logistical problems, Covid restrictions, and less than optimal weather in some countries have added additional challenges in getting access to some wines. 

That’s the long answer. I suspect the short answer is it’s going to take a couple of seasons to sort out the new offerings, so try to be flexible!

Wondering how the "bottle packages work?"   What if you have a long cruise and choose to buy, for example, a 10 bottle package and you have have the bottle left after your dinner. Do you bring it back to your cabin or will they hold it for you? 

7 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

Wondering how the "bottle packages work?"   What if you have a long cruise and choose to buy, for example, a 10 bottle package and you have have the bottle left after your dinner. Do you bring it back to your cabin or will they hold it for you? 

Either way. Your choice.

56 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

What is this “leftover wine” of which you speak? 😄 

They will hold it for next time, and it will follow you to wherever you’re dining. Or you can take it back to your cabin if you prefer.

• Haha 7