Paying onboard for upgrade

jenndisney

20 minutes ago, jenndisney said:

Does Princess offer a discount if you pay for a cabin upgrade once onboard?

These are usually call up sells and in the pre pandemic world happened before the day of sailing. Who knows what new procedures will be in place by 2023

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

These are usually call up sells and in the pre pandemic world happened before the day of sailing. Who knows what new procedures will be in place by 2023

Thanks.  We sail in 10 days so I am not going to hold my breath. 

8 minutes ago, jenndisney said:

Thanks.  We sail in 10 days so I am not going to hold my breath. 

With the ships at around 50% occupancy, go straight to guest services when you board and ask if any upgrades are available, complimentary or paid. We went from an aft inside to a mid-mini suite.

• Like 7

In normal times, the ships sail full, or nearly full.
I'm sailing on  50% capacity ship right now. A few weeks prior to my cruise, I received an email notice that my cabin was needed as part of the quarantine section at no cost to us. It's been nice, always being able to find a spot near the pool, theater seats, tables in the buffet etc...

It doesn't hurt to ask if there are upgrades available. 

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

With the ships at around 50% occupancy, go straight to guest services when you board and ask if any upgrades are available, complimentary or paid. We went from an aft inside to a mid-mini suite.

Was it complimentary or did you pay & if so how much?

Tom😀

Just now, trbarton said:

Was it complimentary or did you pay & if so how much?

Tom😀

A few days before I checked the inventory of available cabins. There were 100 balconies, and 195 minis available.

It was comped, but I slipped the young man at guest services a nice gratuity.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

A few days before I checked the inventory of available cabins. There were 100 balconies, and 195 minis available.

Thanks!  I’ll try that on my next cruise. What happened to your luggage?

Tom😀

38 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Are they allowed to except a gratuity or is this something that I need to do without others noticing?  

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Are they allowed to except a gratuity or is this something that I need to do without others noticing?  

You may give your steward or dinning room staff a gratuity & in my opinion & from my experience I don’t see any problems. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wesport said:

So, if I paid for a balcony, and someone can just ask for a free upgrade on embarkation day from an inside to a balcony, it really cheapens the brand.

I understand where you are going but I don’t understand the statement that “it cheapens the brand”?  I look at it as I was willing to pay for what I got. Other folks got a bonus.  Does it really take away from my experience?  Just be happy for them. As someone said, once we get back to full sailings, this won’t happen anymore. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I believe they now are included in the Crew Incentive ... so it's just part of trolling for tips, perhaps,?

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It's the responsibility of the crew member to report receiving a gratuity.

Who knows what happens if there just happens to be a $20 in your hand when you shake that nice crew member's hand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!  I’ll try that on my next cruise. What happened to your luggage?

Tom😀

We carried our own luggage on board, as we dislike waiting until 4pm for our bags to show up.

The only thing we had to worry about was the water package we pre-ordered, and the steward took care of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wesport said:

So, if I paid for a balcony, and someone can just ask for a free upgrade on embarkation day from an inside to a balcony, it really cheapens the brand.

What difference is it if the ship sails with empty inside cabins, or empty balconies. It costs the company nothing, and it's a wonderful way to reward those who are willing to sail under the current conditions. Even with offering 50% discounts for first responders, they are having a hard time filling cabins, so why not take care of those customers who are willing to sail? It doesn't cheapen the brand, it only cheapens the value of your balcony/mini, if that's what you paid for.

I predicted on this forum many months before sailing resumed that they would move folks from insides to balconies. I'm sorry if you feel ripped off or cheapened. I for one don't worry about what the other guy gets or doesn't get.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It was very discreet, and the man standing next to me did the exact same thing when he received his upgrade.

• Thanks 1

A few years back we were offered an up sell from a Mini Suite to the premium Suite. I think the cost back than was $300/person. We took it and doubled the room size, had the concierge service, free laundry, and some other perks. The room was huge. We loved it. Considering the initial cost for the mini suite was $1100 back then so for $300 more we got the large suite. Those typically start over $2000/person to book those. I’m hoping when we got on the ship we can run to the desk and see if they have another similar like that again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wesport said:

Agreed and that's why airlines for example don't rush to upgrade economy passengers even when there are many seats flying empty in premium cabins

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

I predicted on this forum many months before sailing resumed that they would move folks from insides to balconies. I'm sorry if you feel ripped off or cheapened. I for one don't worry about what the other guy gets or doesn't get.

Have three inside cabins on the 10 and 20 Dec Enchanted.  Still assigned to them and not expecting an upgrade/upsell on any of them.  We are getting what we paid for and just happy to be cruising again.

• Like 3