Passport Renewal??

Bruin Steve

7 minutes ago, chamima said:

Lois

I sent it overnight mail and paid for expedited service and overnight back to me.  I'm just at the 7 week point AND it asked on the form for travel dates so crossing my fingers that I'm good.

I'm usually on top of this stuff - Covid and the last 2 years have really messed with my brain.

Ohhh....I thought you just sent it in today!......I must have misunderstood your post. You sent it 7 weeks ago? So it should be coming back soon (hopefully🙂)

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ohhh....I thought you just sent it in today!......I must have misunderstood your post. You sent it 7 weeks ago? So it should be coming back soon (hopefully🙂)

"I sent it overnight mail and paid for expedited service and overnight back to me.  I'm just at the 7 week point (UNTIL THE CRUISE) AND it asked on the form for travel dates so crossing my fingers that I'm good. "

I sent it today.

The cruise is in 7 weeks and the current window for receiving expedited is 5 to 7 weeks

Edited by chamima

Global Entry renewal was easy and fast.  Renewed online and received a couple weeks later. As for passport, I sent in end of May to renew without expedite , when I found out I needed it for July 2.  weekend. Had to get in contact with them, they promised it would be close,  paid the expedited charge and hope I would get it by July 2.  As that was a weekend, it ended up in my mailbox on July 5.  Too late for my holiday weekend. 

Edited by Missymo

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I forgot about updating Global Entry! 😮

We are supposed to sail in January and I just realized my passport expired in May (5 months) so just this morning sent it in (expedited) for renewal.

I probably won't have time to updated Global Entry before we  cruise (and fly)  so should I anticipate problems?

Where are you flying from/disembarking.  If it is FLL you don't even need to show the card.  They use facial recognition and we walked right through the port terminal when we disembarked.  No lines.  I also think I saw that because of Covid GE expirations were extended. As someone said, if there is a GE office at the airport you can just stop in and they will update the information.  

24 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Where are you flying from/disembarking.  If it is FLL you don't even need to show the card.  They use facial recognition and we walked right through the port terminal when we disembarked.  No lines.  I also think I saw that because of Covid GE expirations were extended. As someone said, if there is a GE office at the airport you can just stop in and they will update the information.  

it is Fort Lauderdale but I was mostly concerned with our Global Entry giving us TSA precheck.

When we check in with TSA I was concerned about my passport number not matching what is in their records. I'm thinking I'll bring the old and the new passports.

When I purchased the airline tickets I put my old passport number in. Should I leave it or change it when I get the new one? OY!!!

Edited by chamima

10 minutes ago, chamima said:

it is Fort Lauderdale but I was mostly concerned with our Global Entry giving us TSA precheck.

When we check in with TSA I was concerned about my passport number not matching what is in their records. I'm thinking I'll bring the old and the new passports.

When I purchased the airline tickets I put my old passport number in. Should I leave it or change it when I get the new one? OY!!!

Your old passport is no longer valid once the new passport is issued so you need to update the passport number to the new one wherever you've used the old number...Global Entry profile, airline ticket record and your cruise line's registration/check in record.

We updated the passport number when we got our new passports.  Our GE has not expired so no need to update that number with the airlines.  I just wanted to update our passport numbers with GE.

Did your GE expire too? There is a grace period but you might need to renew it for the grace period to click in. Since you don't have your new passport it will be harder to reapply. Just do a search on line "is global entry extended".

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We updated the passport number when we got our new passports.  Our GE has not expired so no need to update that number with the airlines.  I just wanted to update our passport numbers with GE.

Did your GE expire too? There is a grace period but you might need to renew it for the grace period to click in. Since you don't have your new passport it will be harder to reapply. Just do a search on line "is global entry extended".

No, my GE didn't expire! (Thank goodness!!!)

Today has been nerve wracking - as I said - I'm usually really on top of these things so realizing I hadn't renewed my passport was upsetting.

32 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

You can do a closed loop cruise from Fl with that.

Some cruise lines require all passengers to have a valid passport on all itineraries even if government regulations permit the use of a drivers license and birth certificate. Further it's possible for a closed loop cruise from FL to visit countries such as Costa Rica or French territorial islands such as Martinique that require all passengers to have a passport. 

9 hours ago, chamima said:

Global Entry is great because it might save you up to a half hour going through airport TSA, and re-entering (at a port where it makes a difference) - otherwise, you do not really need it.  Why would you want to bring you old passport?

13 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Just make sure you have your drivers license, certified birth certificate, and if a name change because of marriage, etc. your documentation.  You can do a closed loop cruise from Fl with that.

Hi Mary Lou🙂 I have to echo njhorseman's reply.  There are certain lines who require a passport, no matter what the itinerary......closed loop or not. 

And hope you are doing well.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Mary Lou🙂 I have to echo njhorseman's reply.  There are certain lines who require a passport, no matter what the itinerary......closed loop or not. 

And hope you are doing well.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks to both of you.  I cruise exclusive with Celebrity and they do permit DL & BC on closed loop cruises. I'm doing well, one cruise completed since Covid and 3 more booked, Celebrity of course.

Just to add to the insanity that seems to be passport processing. Just got notice today that my husbands passport is approved and should be delivered to our house today. Mine is still showing as processing.  We both applied on 10/25, passport tracking shows they received both applications on 10/27. I paid to have mine expedited, he did not. Neither of us have had passports in the past. Total time for his start to finish just under 4 weeks. Total time for my expedited passport TBD.

We sent ours in Sept 4 and they were received Sept 9. We contacted our congressman to see if his office could push it along. The passport agency reported to their office that they received it on Sept 11 and we should expect it around Dec 5 according to their 12 week schedule. They were not expedited.

Edited by Markanddonna

43 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Thanks to both of you.  I cruise exclusive with Celebrity and they do permit DL & BC on closed loop cruises. I'm doing well, one cruise completed since Covid and 3 more booked, Celebrity of course.

This cruise is with Princess. It's a last minute decision to take our daughter and 2 newly vaccinated little granddaughters away for a quick week. The ports (for me) are awful so we aren't even planning to get off the ship. But I've resigned myself to just watching my husband go with them if I'm stuck.

If it gets close I'll call Princess but I'm the one that made the mistake so if I'm stuck home it's my own fault.

37 minutes ago, nessachelle said:

Just to add to the insanity that seems to be passport processing. Just got notice today that my husbands passport is approved and should be delivered to our house today. Mine is still showing as processing.  We both applied on 10/25, passport tracking shows they received both applications on 10/27. I paid to have mine expedited, he did not. Neither of us have had passports in the past. Total time for his start to finish just under 4 weeks. Total time for my expedited passport TBD.

OY!!!

What a mess. I hope yours comes soon.

How did you sign up to get the notifications?

18 hours ago, nessachelle said:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Just check status and at the bottom it gives you a spot to fill in your email for updates.

I had registered for updates but they haven't sent me anything. I just tried the link again and it said I was approved and they are printing it. From what others say, I won't know when it is coming until I actually receive it.  I'll keep you posted.

2 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I had registered for updates but they haven't sent me anything. I just tried the link again and it said I was approved and they are printing it. From what others say, I won't know when it is coming until I actually receive it.  I'll keep you posted.

If you sign up on the USPS website (https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action), for Informed Delivery Notices you will receive the delivery date notice as soon as the new passport is entered into the mail system.  The system is updated again the morning of delivery.  This is a free service and provides you with daily notification of letters and packages.

Digitally preview your mail and manage your packages scheduled to arrive soon! Informed Delivery allows you to view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of letter-sized mailpieces and track packages in one convenient location.*

* Images are only provided for letter-sized mailpieces that are processed through USPS' automated equipment

39 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We aren't crazy about the government taking photos of all of our mail but I suppose they do anyway.

We are talking about the USPS here.  Don't worry.  They will likely lose the photos.  😃

• Like 1

I haven’t seen this, but we had pictures taken by fedex, hoping they would send it in for us. Nope.  We went to the post office to the passport department and paid all the fees to expedite.

ok, they received it and mine came back a few weeks later, but my husband was sent a letter that he had to have his pictures redone because he had GLASSES on.

Neither fedex or the POst Office Passport DEpartment caught this.

fedex took his picture again at no cost and so we wait!!!!