Carry on Luggage - Size Restriction?

Team Stag

Does Celebrity have any size restrictions on the luggage that you carry onto the boat?  I know getting off the boat there are no restrictions; as long as you can handle it.  Airlines have a dimension size standard for their carry ons; but I'm curious about Celebrity?

I used the search function & have been unable to find an answer.  And yes, I know the porters do an outstanding job; but if I had a bag larger than a roller board, would I be able to take it through the terminal & onto the ship?

It has to go through the scanner, which is roughly the size of a TSA airport scanner. There are probably dimensions, but I don't think a 24-26 inch check bag would fit. 

Edited: Oops. Just saw NantahalaCruiser said pretty much the same thing while I was typing!

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, isdoo said:

it is a ship and no, there is no limit on size - although whilst a canoe is not banned it might be a bit big for your cabin. 

It has to go through the X-ray scanner as previously stated, so there is a size limit unless you want it taken and searched by hand

Typical tunnel size on a baggage inspection x-ray system is approximately 29 by 22 inches, with some relatively small variation among manufacturers. Some, such as those used at various Customs stations to scan checked bags, are larger.

Find out what system the port is using (no idea how to do that) and you can search the Web for specifications.

When I read this it brought back a funny memory.    There was a couple getting married aboard and they were putting the Wedding Cake, Flowers , Gown etc through the metal detector.  Luckily the cake was in a sturdy box. 

57 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Boarded Monday through Port Everglades with 2 large suitcases (29 inch?) with no problems. Couple of inches to spare on all sides. 

That's great real experience information.    Even though I always drop my luggage at curbside.   I will put it in my notes for future reference.   Thanks.

I did have a problem once in Singapore.   I had a large overstuffed suit bag and the port refused to accept it because it didn't have wheels???    Never understood since they were just tossing them on a cart.   I ended up having to haul it with me through metal detectors and all. 

10 hours ago, XLVIII said:

Boarded Monday through Port Everglades with 2 large suitcases (29 inch?) with no problems. Couple of inches to spare on all sides. 

Thank you very much for sharing this.  It is a helpful & useful response.  

On 11/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, Team Stag said:

Does Celebrity have any size restrictions on the luggage that you carry onto the boat?  I know getting off the boat there are no restrictions; as long as you can handle it.  Airlines have a dimension size standard for their carry ons; but I'm curious about Celebrity?

I used the search function & have been unable to find an answer.  And yes, I know the porters do an outstanding job; but if I had a bag larger than a roller board, would I be able to take it through the terminal & onto the ship?

How big is the suitcase you are trying to get through the carry-on metal detector?

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How big is the suitcase you are trying to get through the carry-on metal detector?

We had a couple who used a TA to get to their summer home in Italy.  They walked on with 4'x6' framed art and a couple huge boxes.  If you can carry it you can bring it on.  They simply scanned the art and boxes.  The couple had about 2 hotel luggage carts of boxes.  They stacked up all over their cabin.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We had a couple who used a TA to get to their summer home in Italy.  They walked on with 4'x6' framed art and a couple huge boxes.  If you can carry it you can bring it on.  They simply scanned the art and boxes.  The couple had about 2 hotel luggage carts of boxes.  They stacked up all over their cabin.

I hope that none of those boxes of household goods contained prohibited items.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That's great real experience information.    Even though I always drop my luggage at curbside.   I will put it in my notes for future reference.   Thanks.

I did have a problem once in Singapore.   I had a large overstuffed suit bag and the port refused to accept it because it didn't have wheels???    Never understood since they were just tossing them on a cart.   I ended up having to haul it with me through metal detectors and all. 

Perhaps the issue was when and where it came off the cart. I think some of the baggage movement inside the ship may be done by moving individual bags around without use of a cart. 

9 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The key dimensions are 11.5 (H) in x 18.5 (W) in.  I'm assuming the length of 36 in length probably doesn't matter.  Airline carry on dimensions are 9 x 14 x 22.

We are looking at a cruise that we would do a lot of diving on.  So we want to bring our scuba equipment.  But the cost of that stuff is more than the total cruise price.  So in the event it was inadvertently damaged on the way to the room or worse some pieces stolen; I would not be happy.  It fits nice in it's bag, not overly heavy & I don't mind doing the rolling / lifting to get it to the room.  I'm just trying to understand if I"m allowed to carry on or will be forced to check it due to size.

You might want to repost specifically asking about scuba gear. I don’t dive, but I’ve read posts from people who do. For instance, I believe people have taken dive knives, but had to check them between port calls. But your question now is more than carryon size, and you may get better information asking specifically about diving gear. 

Diving doesn’t appear to be a special interest topic, unfortunately. 

We never put  meds or anything of value in our big wheelies..We tend to overstuff the standard wheelie carryons and other side bags. More than once dh had to search out our luggage... you never know.  Have seen more than one suitcase dropped into the water!

22 hours ago, XLVIII said:

But the better question might be- should you be doing that?  They really don't want to slow down the boarding process by having lots of people lugging around the large suitcases, which is why they ask people to check their suitcases outside.  At boarding time the elevators are crowded enough (as is the boarding area for that matter, at least as capacity gets closer to normal)!  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

• Like 1