The Daily for Thursday November 18, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.I can happily support Rural Health Day and world records but 12 years of Catholic school makes me wary of the occult. I like the quote and the recipe but we are tired of chicken here and I will make something else.

I hear you on the school thing.  

If you're tired of chicken, substitute shrimp and  use a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui I have a garden question. In our Sun City news it was recommended not to rake our leaves. I've never heard this before. Do you leave some leaves to go to mulch or do you rake it all up? 

It is good for animals not to rake leaves but it’s not good for the garden or grass.  If you mulch the leaves, they are good for your lawn and garden.

Most of my leaves go to the compost mulched and to a “leaf lady” who is filling her gardens.  I save a couple of bags of mulched leaves for my gardens as it is good for them.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Yesterday Sam was told he might not be able to drive again. I’ve thought so all along but he didn’t expect to hear that and it came as a surprise and not a good one.

I’m sorry to hear this, Carol 😔 I can understand how he feels and it is a loss of independence.  It’s so hard on so many when that day comes.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

It is good for animals not to rake leaves but it’s not good for the garden or grass.  If you mulch the leaves, they are good for your lawn and garden.

Most of my leaves go to the compost mulched and to a “leaf lady” who is filling her gardens.  I save a couple of bags of mulched leaves for my gardens as it is good for them.

I so agree.  And here, where the winters are (fairly) mild, we have a big problem with slugs laying their eggs under those leaves left on the ground.  That and we get the leaves from diseased trees that blow into our yard from the woods behind us.  I don't need those problems.

• Like 14

@dfish,thanks for the shrimp and vegetable  broth suggestion. I think I will try it tomorrow.

In spite of the school thing,we had a great aunt who  had "the sight".She was disturbingly accurate.She also blamed a lot of things on  mischievous  leprechauns!

@rafinmd,sorry about the food selection  available. I had multiple  abdominal  surgeries in the past and never had more than jello for excitement. I hope things are better soon.

• Like 17

Good morning, all.  I am busy today, went to the grocery store early, and there was a crowd there, lots of younger people "stocking up" during senior hour.  A lot of empty shelves, we are expecting supply problems for the next few weeks, as the rail lines are down, the gasoline pipeline is shut down, and a lot of the roads and the TransCanada highway are impassable.  I had a chat with the newspaper delivery person this morning, and he said they are having a lot of problems getting the papers down from up the island.  I think one lane of the Malahat (mountain) road has broken away and slid down the side.  We only have a quarter tank of gas and that may have to last us for some time.  The lineups at the gas stations yesterday were crazy, impeding  traffic for blocks!  Just one catastrophe after another.  There was a lot of heroism, too, over the last few days.  Two rescue helicopters managed to take turns landing between two mudslides and evacuated over 300 people, some dogs and a cat that had been stuck there for over 24 hours. 

Welcome to the Daily @Cat in my lap!  Roy, I do hope you feel better soon.  Rich and Jacqui, thanks for the lists, and also the F&D ladies for recipes and descriptions.  I think I like a brunello, but I'm not acquainted with Casanova!  We have holidayed in Scotland, and I don't think we've been to Scrabster.

I got an email from our PCC yesterday advising me to make an appointment to book a cruise over the Black Friday sale, starting Tuesday the 23rd.  Did any of you get that?  I don't think I ever did from our old PCC.

We are entertaining some neighbours for Happy Hour today, so I must get on with it and make some snacks.  TTYL.😁

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Good morning and thanks all!  The Brunello sounds good, they are one of my favourite wines!  also apparently Her Majesty’s.   The drink sounds a bit like a Caesar so might be ok.  And the dinner looks wonderful!  Been to Scotland but not Scrabster, what a name!  I give the occult a wide berth.  

@rafinmd hopefully things improve shortly.  My DB got in trouble for ordering in a pizza in the hospital,  pre cellphone when they served him puréed Turkey🤮🤢

@kazu thanks for filling in,  I hope your week improves if the highlight is your flu shot😉🙃

re the leaves, I’ve always been told to rake them up on the grass but leave them in the flower beds for protection from the cold and as home for ladybugs.   Maybe it depends on climate?

Off to meet a  Friend for lunch outside, brr,  who is visiting from the Canary islands.  I think her timing is off,  lol!   We still have strict restrictions on indoor gatherings.  

4DB5FE2A-E57F-46B1-BBA6-F9E475DD142A.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23

An update on my kidney stone thing.  The CT scan shows it is lodged in the ureter between the kidney and bladder.  I am scheduled for a hospital visit tomorrow morning at 8:45.  The urologist said is is a 20 minute procedure, but looks like the stay will be between 3 and 4 hours.  One concerning thing is that they will insert a stent, and the stent is scheduled to be removed 5 days later.  Doesn't sound comfortable.

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

35 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

An update on my kidney stone thing.  The CT scan shows it is lodged in the ureter between the kidney and bladder.  I am scheduled for a hospital visit tomorrow morning at 8:45.  The urologist said is is a 20 minute procedure, but looks like the stay will be between 3 and 4 hours.  One concerning thing is that they will insert a stent, and the stent is scheduled to be removed 5 days later.  Doesn't sound comfortable.

Ray

Good luck, Ray!  I know you will feel so much better when this ordeal is over.  🙂

• Like 14

36 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

I hope it isn’t as uncomfortable as it sounds and the procedure leaves you feeling much better 🙏🏻 

Update on Roy @rafinmd

He reports that there was no bacteria found in the culture but he will remain on antibiotics for 5 days.

He has been told he should be discharged later today 🤞 

@rafinmdI can do the lists tomorrow for you if you like and you can set up who should go where in the rotation the next day.  If you need more time, just let me know.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from Puerto Vallarta, where it is cool, at least for this part of the world.  The last time I looked at our outdoor thermometer about 11am, it was 77.5F with a light breeze.  It was pleasant walking to the Mercado this morning,  

Since we were here on 2/5/20, they have opened a path from the new port building to the Mercado.  That saves a lot of steps.

There have two attempts to set a Guinness world record in Quartzsite.  The first, the largest ATV parade, which we were in, but it failed to set a record,  The second was the largest number of people standing together in one photograph.  It was a large Q, and set the record, which has been broken.  We were on a cruise when that happened.  The occult has always interested me.

Rural Healthcare is very important.  We live in rural areas both in Texas and Arizona, but fortunately have local hospitals near us, with better facilities 1-2 hours away.

I think the quote of the day is one reason we booked these four cruises.  Having been to these ports many times, we don't feel compelled to get off the ship and do a lot of exploring.  Instead, it's just short forays around the immediate port area, if at all. Of course, there was a fun afternoon in Cabo with @dobiemom.

We'll definitely pass on the drink. 😱  The wine might be good, but too pricey.  After looking at the menu, I still don't know what I'll have for dinner.

In August 2017, on the Prinsendam, we spent a day in Scrabster.  We took a tour to John O'Groats and Dunnet Head, the northern most point in the British Isles.  We stopped at the church where the Queen Mother and Prince Charles worshipped.  Our guide was a docent at Castle Mey, which was  closed to tours as Charles was in residence, but leaving later that day.  I'll try to post some pictures later if I can figure out how to do it on DH's tablet.

Lenda

• Like 20

53 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Good luck for tomorrow Ray.

Hopefully once the stone is removed you will be pain free.

Graham.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report!  

Probably won't be here tomorrow as we have an early flight to Ft Lauderdale, then cruise on Saturday.

We will be on aft deck for CC get together for anyone here for Sail Away! 🙂 

Have a safe flight tomorrow and Bon Voyage.

6 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for the daily report!  I enjoy reading all of the comments!

Welcome to the Daily. We're a very friendly, supportive group who have become friends the past 18 months.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Currently in Delta Sky Lounge Atlanta awaiting flight to San Francisco. Going to be a long day as it was a 3 AM wake up. Roy I was sorry to hear of your rough night.

Thanks to all for my Daily read.

Enjoy the day.

Have a safe flight, and a great Thanksgiving visit with the family.

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Yes, a big loss of independence. Sam’s aunt lived to be 104 and she said one has to adapt to the things that happen to us and then go on.

Carol,  what a blow for Sam to be told he can't drive.  It sounds like his aunt was a very wise woman.  Glad the PT is helping you.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Prayers for the towns on both sides of the border experiencing terrible flooding, evacuation and loss.  The news in WA and BC is horrifying.  My sister lives in Lynden, close to the border -- thankfully they're ok.  I have a niece who lives in Sedro Woolley, another town hit hard, but they're ok too thank goodness.

Yesterday the tree service took down two of the tallest, most dangerous Cottonwoods behind our house.  I'd have liked if they'd done more, but it isn't up to me unfortunately.  In any case, it's a huge improvement, I have more light in my yard now and even more important, I won't be dreading the next wind storm (which we all know will come). Some of the branches on those trees are tree-size themselves.  Very scary when they whip around in the wind. 

Such horrible news about all the problems and loss of life caused by the storms. Glad so many Dailyites' relatives are safe now. Sending good thoughts for all those affected by the storms.

Glad they removed some of the trees.

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

They have gotten an incredible amount done, and we “upsold” to concrete for stairs, and 2 partial walls, and a small second set of steps on the slope.

Have a great day everyone!

Glad the landscaping work is progressing.

2 hours ago, highscar said:

@SeaSickSailor we had a cat that drank the toilet water. She lived to be 22.  Something good in that water. 

We also had a cats that drank out of the toilet.  Our dachshunds probably would have too, if they could have reached it. 🤣

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Good luck on your procedure tomorrow and on the follow up.

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Update on Roy @rafinmd

He reports that there was no bacteria found in the culture but he will remain on antibiotics for 5 days.

He has been told he should be discharged later today 🤞 

@rafinmdI can do the lists tomorrow for you if you like and you can set up who should go where in the rotation the next day.  If you need more time, just let me know.  

Roy, glad the the culture was negative for bacteria,  and hope you get to go home today.

@kazu  Thanks for filling in for Roy.  And as usual, thanks for the memes.

We have two sea days coming up.  I'll catch up on the Daily on Sunday when we're back in San Diego.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon on this bright, chilly Thursday!  As @durangoscotsmentioned, it is not warm in Western Colorado, although she would be at a colder location than I am.  I am sad when reading of the flooding, and how much others are suffering.  @rafinmdsending best wishes for a fast hospital escape!  And best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Also, prayers for all on the Care list.  Many thanks to @kazufor stepping in!  What a great place this has become!

The drink of the day sounds like a "sodium bomb!"  No thank you.  And the wine sounds nice, but too pricey for me, as "my ship hasn't come in "yet!

I am trying to contact HAL to get my final payment done for the Zuiderdam in January, but when I call I am getting a "fast busy" (old telephone lingo) so I can't get through!  

It has been so nice for me that I finally have my sister back!  Before her husband died she could not talk to me because she had to be ready to jump if he spoke.  We had such a great time together while I was in Phoenix area last week, and now we talk daily now that I am home.  Just like it used to be.  She is doing great in her adjustment and working through things.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!  I am having a former neighbor (also a widow) for soup and bread dinner tonight!  (No wine, as she doesn't drink anything).

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Good afternoon on this bright, chilly Thursday!  As @durangoscotsmentioned, it is not warm in Western Colorado, although she would be at a colder location than I am.  I am sad when reading of the flooding, and how much others are suffering.  @rafinmdsending best wishes for a fast hospital escape!  And best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Also, prayers for all on the Care list.  Many thanks to @kazufor stepping in!  What a great place this has become!

The drink of the day sounds like a "sodium bomb!"  No thank you.  And the wine sounds nice, but too pricey for me, as "my ship hasn't come in "yet!

I am trying to contact HAL to get my final payment done for the Zuiderdam in January, but when I call I am getting a "fast busy" (old telephone lingo) so I can't get through!  

It has been so nice for me that I finally have my sister back!  Before her husband died she could not talk to me because she had to be ready to jump if he spoke.  We had such a great time together while I was in Phoenix area last week, and now we talk daily now that I am home.  Just like it used to be.  She is doing great in her adjustment and working through things.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!  I am having a former neighbor (also a widow) for soup and bread dinner tonight!  (No wine, as she doesn't drink anything).

Great to have your sister "back" and good news she is doing well adjusting.  Having you visit and now talking everyday must be a big help.

Lenda

• Like 14

41 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui, @kazu, are you not doing a Future Cruise Listing anymore?  I can't find it...

I haven’t given up on it yet, Ann 😉. It’s dropped way down to page 5.  I had to go looking for it today to update the listing for tomorrow.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2813221-️-️-️-️-holland-america-board’s-future-cruise-listing-updated-friday-november-12th-2021-️-️-️-️/#comment-62139911

Wait until tomorrow please if you don’t mind and  have a cruise you want added when I have the new listing posted and at least that will help the new listing  get a bump.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Have a safe flight tomorrow and Bon Voyage.

Welcome to the Daily. We're a very friendly, supportive group who have become friends the past 18 months.

Have a safe flight, and a great Thanksgiving visit with the family.

Carol,  what a blow for Sam to be told he can't drive.  It sounds like his aunt was a very wise woman.  Glad the PT is helping you.

Such horrible news about all the problems and loss of life caused by the storms. Glad so many Dailyites' relatives are safe now. Sending good thoughts for all those affected by the storms.

Glad they removed some of the trees.

Glad the landscaping work is progressing.

We also had a cats that drank out of the toilet.  Our dachshunds probably would have too, if they could have reached it. 🤣

Good luck on your procedure tomorrow and on the follow up.

Roy, glad the the culture was negative for bacteria,  and hope you get to go home today.

@kazu  Thanks for filling in for Roy.  And as usual, thanks for the memes.

We have two sea days coming up.  I'll catch up on the Daily on Sunday when we're back in San Diego.

Lenda

Just want to thank you for multi posting.  Wish there was more of it 😉 

Enjoy your sea days and the lull of the waves 😄 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and all contributors.

Interesting days. Rural health is especially important. Great quote and so true. Having worked hard for many years I looked forward to retirement and traveling. I developed some medical issues after retirement, but did get some trips in before things shut down. Hoping to resume travels one day.

The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink. The wine sounds good, but pricey.

I haven't been to today's destination.

It's a cold rainy day. I woke up not feeling so great. Very dry nose with congestion and headache. I have humidity going with my CPAP, but maybe I need to up it, or also turn on the separate humidifier I have in the room. I'm starting to feel better now. Also these days the least bit of symptoms is scary, especially here with our high case count.

@bennybear It's good to hear your cousin's son and family is safe. Terrible disaster for the areas affected.

@rafinmd Thinking of you and prayers for your recovery. I hope you get discharged today!

@kazu Thanks for the Care and Celebration lists.

@seagarsmoker Bon Voyage! Have a great time.

@Cat in my lap Welcome to the Daily!

@mamaofami Sorry to hear of Sam's continued issues; I know it's a blow to one's independence if you are told you can't drive.

@USN59-79 Prayers. Are you having lithotripsy? From what I know the stent is not painful or even noticed.

@cruzn single It's so nice you and your sister can connect again.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Everyone stay safe!

• Like 18

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Ray if it happens to be lithotripsy, it won't be too bad. My dad had been run over with a wagon loaded with rocks and lost a kidney at an early age. He had many ultrasound treatments when the new procedure came out. Prior to that, he suffered through having to pass them, poor guy.

• Like 10

Can you believe it!! I have been unable to buy canned cranberries for over a week! I needed 10 pounds of cranberry sauce for our party Saturday. Our deli finally had fresh today and I paid 5 bucks a pound!! I could have filled up my gas tank for that! Next time I'll volunteer to buy rolls..

• Like 9
  • Haha 9