One category upgrade

Cruise Raider

I called into Celebrity to upgrade my room category since there was a rather large price drop.  I was told because I have a refundable deposit that they are not allowing me to get the one category upgrade as a captain's club member.  Is this new?  I addressed it several times while I was on the phone with the rep but she wasn't budging on that point.  What is everyone else's experience?  I have never had that happen before.  We upgraded from an OV to a 2A category and at first she mentioned there were no upgrades from a 1C but what I wanted was 2B pricing and then she told me that it couldn't be done because I had a refundable deposit.  Hmmm?  What's the real story ... shouldn't I be able to get 2B pricing.  It's not just $10 pp or I would just drop it.  

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

I called into Celebrity to upgrade my room category since there was a rather large price drop.  I was told because I have a refundable deposit that they are not allowing me to get the one category upgrade as a captain's club member.  Is this new?  I addressed it several times while I was on the phone with the rep but she wasn't budging on that point.  What is everyone else's experience?  I have never had that happen before.  We upgraded from an OV to a 2A category and at first she mentioned there were no upgrades from a 1C but what I wanted was 2B pricing and then she told me that it couldn't be done because I had a refundable deposit.  Hmmm?  What's the real story ... shouldn't I be able to get 2B pricing.  It's not just $10 pp or I would just drop it.  

call again, you may get a different answer.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

call again, you may get a different answer.  

I think I need to do that.  I've found that what some can't do, others can.  I was just wondering before spending hours more on the phone if this is a new protocol.  

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think I need to do that.  I've found that what some can't do, others can.  I was just wondering before spending hours more on the phone if this is a new protocol.  

I have learned to not take no from someone who cannot say yes.  Move up the chain, thank the CSR for their help and ask to speak with a supervisor.  Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't understand why having a refundable (or for that matter non-refundable) deposit would have anything to do with it.  I agree - call and talk to someone else.

I have also not been informed until today that made a difference.  I would say not all representatives are trained equally.  

There is nothing in Celebrity’s posted list of Captain’s Club benefits that limits the one category upgrades to those with non-refundable deposits.  I’d have this on hand for the next call.  Good luck! 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/new-images/Captain's Club Benefit Brochure_072821.pdf

• Like 2

I have thought for some time that a lot of good employees have left because of this COVID disaster and this doesn't just apply to Celebrity.  I think the new ones have not learned everything they need to know and they just tell you the first thing that comes into their head.  Like others have said...CALL AGAIN.  Good luck and please come back and tell us how you made out.

• Like 1

There is a well known concept that needs to be employed in this situation. It is known as the HUACA technique. It is a very useful technique to master because has been known to work in similar situations with other organisations. Fortunately, it is not a very difficult technique to master. HUACA = Hang Up And Call Again 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I wonder if the OP is mistaking the Captains Club one category upgrade and how that works. Think of it more as a down price rather than an upgrade.

Using the old room category system, say you book a 2D room. They will give you a 2C room for that price.

As I recall one important factor is that there must be rooms in the 2D category, using my example, so they can determine the price to use.

were there 2B rooms available to use for pricing?

Yes,  you should be able to get the 2A for the 2B price.  There has to be at least one room in each category in "available" status.

I think the agent you spoke to couldn't figure out how to do it,  so she made up a reason. They've been doing that lately. 

On the other hand, Captains Club upgrades are made "at time of booking", so Celebrity could possibly use that condition to deny upgrades that are requested well after the time of booking. 

This is quoted from CAPTAIN'S CLUB TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

"One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages.

For sailings departing prior to April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: 12, FV, SV, C1 and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded.

For sailings departing on or after April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: IS, ES, SV, SC, PO, DO, DI, DV and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W.

This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Simply Sail, Exciting Deals, Interline, travel agent or employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

The Captain's Club program terms are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Offers vary by tier, see benefit grid for full details. Captain Club benefits may not be available with other sales and promotions."

Edited by royalcruz
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the OP could stay put get the fare reduction or OBC under theBest Price guarantee.  Alternatively not mention the CC 1 category upgrade and just ask to move to a 2C at the current rate, if it has dropped significantly it may only require a small additional payment.

The OP didn’t mention if they were before or after final payment which may come into play.

1 hour ago, royalcruz said:

On the other hand, Captains Club upgrades are made "at time of booking", so Celebrity could possibly use that condition to deny upgrades that are requested well after the time of booking. 

When I've booked, say, a C2 at a C3 rate, and the price for a C3 has later come down, my Celebrity CVP has always been able to re-price my C2 stateroom at the lower C3 rate.  

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, talentscout16 said:

Hi we are 5 friends on this sailing after a RCCL transatlantic arriving in Civitavecchia on the departure day.

Hoping this sailing takes place as we have had cruises canceled and changed plans 3x now.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Deb

Is that on the Rhapsody of the Seas.  I heard that it is cancelled.  We will still go on a B2B on the Reflection starting on May 23.

2 hours ago, royalcruz said:

Yes,  you should be able to get the 2A for the 2B price.  There has to be at least one room in each category in "available" status.

I think the agent you spoke to couldn't figure out how to do it,  so she made up a reason. They've been doing that lately. 

"One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages.

For sailings departing prior to April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: 12, FV, SV, C1 and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded.

For sailings departing on or after April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: IS, ES, SV, SC, PO, DO, DI, DV and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W.

This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Simply Sail, Exciting Deals, Interline, travel agent or employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

The Captain's Club program terms are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Offers vary by tier, see benefit grid for full details. Captain Club benefits may not be available with other sales and promotions."

You may be correct.  
The OP, Cruise Raider’s cruise in question is not until September 2022.  Perhaps this is why there is an issue with the non refundable deposit and the above terms?  The question might be related to receiving the one category upgrade with an upgrade?  Did they already receive the one category upgrade on their original booking, although I am not sure this should make a difference.  
If they had a refundable deposit, they could just cancel and rebook.  

Maybe the issue is the upgrade from the OV to the balcony on an older booking and not really the non refundable deposit?  (Just cannot do the work around)

OP here … They many have changed the rules which is why I am asking here. I booked a 2A with a refundable deposit and requested pricing for the 2B category, of which is available on our sailing.  I still need  to call and ask if they can lower the price for that of the 2B category.  

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

OP here … They many have changed the rules which is why I am asking here. I booked a 2A with a refundable deposit and requested pricing for the 2B category, of which is available on our sailing.  I still need  to call and ask if they can lower the price for that of the 2B category.  

As you can tell from all the comments above, no one is aware of any such rule change. And Celebrity’s own web site, to which I linked above, contains no such change.  Please call them back and cite their own web site to them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, royalcruz said:

I have always been told that it has to be done at the time of booking.

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

My bad, I do not know why I thought you had a non refundable deposit.  It would make no sense to have a restriction because your deposit is refundable.  As a worst case, can’t you cancel your current booking, get a full refund, and rebook to get the one category uograde?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, royalcruz said:

"One-Category Upgrade

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

As a worst case, can’t you cancel your current booking, get a full refund, and rebook to get the one category uograde?

Which is why they will almost always just adjust the current reservation even though the terms say "at time of booking".   As someone else said I've never had a problem with my TA repricing a C2 booked with C3 price with the new C3 price providing C2 and C3 cabins are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2