Are balcony rooms worth it?

Airborne Spoon

I am on the 6 day Carnival Panorama to Mexico on 18 Dec and I have an interior room booked and paid for and it was only $300 not per person, total.

Today carnival sent me an offer to upgrade to a balcony for an extra $180.

Is it worth it? Like its just me nobody, with me and it seems like it would be a nicer room all fancy with a balcony and whatnot, but I dono how much time I'll even be spending in the room to bother with it.

It seems like a pretty good deal which is why I ask y'all as people that have been on more cruises than myself.

To me well worth it, normally a bigger room, Natural light, east access to fresh air, romantic out there in the moonlight with your SO.

But others see it as a waste of money, only you can make the call for you.

• Like 3

for me for 6 days, it would be worth it. i personally don't like all the noise of the main deck. and whenever you go out on the deck, sometimes you can't find a place to sit. so then if i can't find a place, i come back to the room and chill on the balcony. and at night, after we have had dinner and gone and seen a comedy show, we will come back to the cabin. hubby is going to sleep. but i don't need/want as much sleep. so i stay up for a bit reading on the balcony. 

plus you interior is DARK. i mean without the lights on, it will be pitch black in there. you can't tell what time of day it is or anything. to have light and fresh air, to me is worth it. but only you can decide.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Airborne Spoon said:

I am on the 6 day Carnival Panorama to Mexico on 18 Dec and I have an interior room booked and paid for and it was only $300 not per person, total.

Is it worth it? Like its just me nobody, with me and it seems like it would be a nicer room all fancy with a balcony and whatnot, but I dono how much time I'll even be spending in the room to bother with it.

It seems like a pretty good deal which is why I ask y'all as people that have been on more cruises than myself.

For many of the same reasons as adventuredancer, I would choose a balcony cabin.  The price for the upgrade is a good one, but, you ought to determine an upgrade to a cabin that is located where on the ship.  Cabins above, below, and on both sides of you are preferred by experienced cruisers.  

Carnival Panorama is one of the newest Carnival ships and will have many activities in which you might want to participate.  If so, your inside cabin may be perfectly suitable for you since you may well not be using it for more than sleeping.  

Please return to this thread and let us know what you decide.  

• Like 1

So I did the upgrade to the balcony.

I called them up to do it because I wasn't sure about the decks and whatnot. They offered me a room on the 9th but that was directly below the pool and crap. So we found a good one on the 8th that is away from crap like that.

Hopefully it was a good choice, but for the price it was hard to pass up.

Although since it's just me as I'm a single traveler there will be more than excessive amount of space in the room 🤷‍♂️😎

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Airborne Spoon said:

So I did the upgrade to the balcony.

I called them up to do it because I wasn't sure about the decks and whatnot. They offered me a room on the 9th but that was directly below the pool and crap. So we found a good one on the 8th that is away from crap like that.

Hopefully it was a good choice, but for the price it was hard to pass up.

Although since it's just me as I'm a single traveler there will be more than excessive amount of space in the room 🤷‍♂️😎

You did well!  

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 7:00 PM, Airborne Spoon said:

I know it's kind of late. But I wouldn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, rabelgirls said:

You will love it!  The only drawback is, that once you go balcony, it's hard to go back to inside.  🙂

Once one has enjoyed an outside cabin--with or without a balcony--it is hard to book an inside cabin again.  At least, that's my experience.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Senga said:

Before COVID an inside cabin was normal for us.  After COVID would not travel without some private outdoor space.

We have been on 13 cruises (Still an experienced beginner compared to many on here and my In-laws) and have always had a balcony or balcony suite.  Our first cruise we just booked it because that was what the rest of the family booked and didn't give it much thought.  

People always say you don't spend that much time in the cabin but although we do a lot of activities onboard, our first hour of the day and last hour are in the cabin and between activities we might go back to the cabin for 30 minutes or so here and there and if we're in the cabin and not active changing clothes or sleeping, we're on the balcony getting fresh air, reading, watching the docking or port departure.  It might be 3-4 hours a day or more, especially on a non-port day. 

I might balk at doing a suite upgrade when they are 600-1200+/pp but it's too easy to find cruises where you can upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $150pp or less.  Even on a strict budget, I think that money increases the overall experience EVERY day over spending it on ONE excursion or maybe TWO upgraded dinners and a few drinks.

I sail in all sorts of rooms. For me if I am going to be in port most days and it is a short haul then I will choose an interior room.  For me a short haul is anything less than 2 weeks.  If there are a lot of sea days I get a balcony. 

if you are in port most days you really won’t see much of your room anyway. 

On 3/30/2022 at 6:55 AM, Seamus6 said:

We have been on 13 cruises (Still an experienced beginner compared to many on here and my In-laws) and have always had a balcony or balcony suite.  Our first cruise we just booked it because that was what the rest of the family booked and didn't give it much thought.  

People always say you don't spend that much time in the cabin but although we do a lot of activities onboard, our first hour of the day and last hour are in the cabin and between activities we might go back to the cabin for 30 minutes or so here and there and if we're in the cabin and not active changing clothes or sleeping, we're on the balcony getting fresh air, reading, watching the docking or port departure.  It might be 3-4 hours a day or more, especially on a non-port day. 

I might balk at doing a suite upgrade when they are 600-1200+/pp but it's too easy to find cruises where you can upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $150pp or less.  Even on a strict budget, I think that money increases the overall experience EVERY day over spending it on ONE excursion or maybe TWO upgraded dinners and a few drinks.

we recently upgraded from a window to the grand suite for $350 for both of us. total.   even though its a shorter cruise, it will be nice as agetaway

• Like 1

We much prefer OV to balcony.  The few times we've been upgraded to balconies, we were very disappointed, and spent very little time out there.  However, we do love seeing the ocean, so an OV is our ideal.  Balconies, in our experience, make the room darker and cut off the view of the sea.  I just love sitting right at the window and being able to look right down and all the way out to the horizon.

• Like 1

Love the balcony! The sights, sounds and smells of the sea...and if you are blessed with nice weather, it is enjoyable sitting outside at night. Plus, if you are on the side at the ports where the gangplanks are, its fun to watch all the late arrivals scurrying to get back onboard. Even bigger plus...my wife really likes the balcony. Happy wife...Happy cruise!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We love a balcony- some mornings we enjoy breakfast on the balcony.  During the day a quiet (usually) spot to sit and watch the sea go by.  At night a place to enjoy a drink.  In addition, not sure about your ship but the cabin is usually larger.

Enjoy- IMO worth it!

• Like 2