BINAX NOW - HAVE A BACKUP

bandp407

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

But if it’s what I have to do to cruise again after 18 months…then I’ll do it.

Yeah...unfortunately have to agree. I'm 'in the same boat' so-to-speak, this coming spring. I'm sure covid testing will be a thing for quite some time yet. 

22 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

We live in North Naples and recently used a nearby Walgreens for our Summit sailing.  Booked our appointment online quite easily and had our results within an hour of doing the drive-thru test.  CVS also does this testing, but I don't think they release their available appointments until midnight of the same day (at least here in SW FL).

In our area, Northside of Atlanta, CVS released appointments for as far as two weeks in advance. My backup plan is to have a list of local walkin sites...should something happen with CVS. I was going to order the home test... but after watching one of the many videos... I was sure DH would not have the patience... decided to let the pros do it... 

Anyone who has done rapid test with CVS...how long did it take to get your results? I assume they email them to you? Or do they have an app?

5 minutes ago, kearney said:

Anyone who has done rapid test with CVS...how long did it take to get your results? I assume they email them to you? Or do they have an app?

I did the rapid test with CVS about a month ago. I received results by email about 45 minutes after my test. I didn't use their app if they have one.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bandp407 said:

That’s why I posted so others could prepare. It’s added quite a bit of stress! Can’t wait to board the ship!!!!

Thank you for your good wishes!

I really appreciate you sharing.   We were lucky to have both tests work without a backup.    Next time we decide to get some backups as a result of your posting.

Thanks so much an hope all works out for you.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I really appreciate you sharing.   We were lucky to have both tests work without a backup.    Next time we decide to get some backups as a result of your posting.

Thanks so much an hope all works out for you.

Thanks much Jim! I’ve learned so much from you & other cruisers, that I felt this info had to be shared. 

We are all set to sail tomorrow. Went to a lab this morning and got our Negative COVID tests with printed results! I also phoned Optum & requested a refund for our test kits. They did take the case number, lot numbers , etc., provided by e-med. 

23 minutes ago, kearney said:

I had a COVID test via CVS a while back (unrelated to a cruise) and was able to receive & store my test results via their "MyChart" app.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, bandp407 said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all ! We sail on Saturday & just tried to do the test. We got to the part of closing the card with the swab in it & it didn’t adhere. The proctor told us we could not hold it closed & that our test is invalid!!! She referred us to customer service who took our information & will have someone contact us about a refund.

Tomorrow we will have to scramble a bit to get tested as there are very few options in our area - SW FLORIDA. Hopefully the place we have contacted will work out. 

Just wanted to make our fellow cruisers aware— can’t rely on these tests!! 

Centrylink Complex in Fort Myers is still open, very little waiting and it is free.

7 minutes ago, woldridge said:

Centrylink Complex in Fort Myers is still open, very little waiting and it is free.

Thank you - The only reason we did not go there is they were not confirming they were open & no Appointments posted. We are set!

4 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thanks much Jim! I’ve learned so much from you & other cruisers, that I felt this info had to be shared. 

We are all set to sail tomorrow. Went to a lab this morning and got our Negative COVID tests with printed results! I also phoned Optum & requested a refund for our test kits. They did take the case number, lot numbers , etc., provided by e-med. 

Did you go to a lab in FLL?  If so, what was the name if it?  Thanks 

I hope Celebrity changes the 2 day test requirement before our February sailing.  Our local walk up is on Wednesdays which is 3 days before the sailing.  I'm going to have to scramble like y'all.

However I have an Azamara cruise in a couple of weeks where they don't require a prior test.  They will administer a rapid test at the terminal for free.  Because this sailing is only two days from a Wednesday, I"ll take one for piece of mind.

23 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

All I can say is...what a PITA all this is!  Makes me want to just stick to car trips. 

LOL.  In October we flew to Barbados to spend 3 days at Sandals followed by a 14 day cruise.  In 17 days we were tested 5 times (2 PCR and 3 Antigen)!  This is the new normal.   This past week our DD, SIL, and 2 young grandchildren drove from NYC to our home for Thanksgiving.  They all got tested in NYC (where it is easy to get a free test) just to be sure they were not bringing COVID to the "Grandparents."  Again, the new normal.  Next week we go on a 20 day Princess cruise and need to get tested within 48 hours of the cruise.  So we have appointments to be tested Sunday morning.  Before boarding the ship (Tuesday) the cruise line will test us again.   When we have our turn around day (10 days into the cruise) the cruise line will test us again!   This is all the new normal.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This is all the new normal.

Well, you can have it. I'm completely turned off by all that. As I get older, I'm leaning towards having travel easier and less complicated, not more difficult. With a DYI trip (like by car), no need for any testing anywhere. See what happens by spring. I might just cancel or reschedule our '22 cruises. Then again, I'd never dream of doing 37 days of traveling in a span of only a few weeks!  Way too much for me. Two bigger (like 2+ weeks each) trips a year are sufficient. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL.  In October we flew to Barbados to spend 3 days at Sandals followed by a 14 day cruise.  In 17 days we were tested 5 times (2 PCR and 3 Antigen)!  This is the new normal.   This past week our DD, SIL, and 2 young grandchildren drove from NYC to our home for Thanksgiving.  They all got tested in NYC (where it is easy to get a free test) just to be sure they were not bringing COVID to the "Grandparents."  Again, the new normal.  Next week we go on a 20 day Princess cruise and need to get tested within 48 hours of the cruise.  So we have appointments to be tested Sunday morning.  Before boarding the ship (Tuesday) the cruise line will test us again.   When we have our turn around day (10 days into the cruise) the cruise line will test us again!   This is all the new normal.

Hank

You’re so right!  Doesn’t mean we have to like it!  😂

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Doesn’t mean we have to like it!

I don't. Not one bit. Glad I've done the amount of traveling (at least by cruise) I have - since I might elect not to continue unless things TRULY get more 'back to normal'...the old normal...not this covid testing crap. 

4 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I hope Celebrity changes the 2 day test requirement before our February sailing. 

Amen to that. I'm completely turned off by the thought of all these testing requirements. Takes all the fun out of the idea of cruising, I think anyway. I accept the need for it, but don't have to go along with it if a different form of travel presents itself (like DIY) that looks more attractive, i.e. not subject to group-travel guidelines. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

18 hours ago, kearney said:

In our area, Northside of Atlanta, CVS released appointments for as far as two weeks in advance. My backup plan is to have a list of local walkin sites...should something happen with CVS. I was going to order the home test... but after watching one of the many videos... I was sure DH would not have the patience... decided to let the pros do it... 

Greetings

We just had the rapid test at CVS yesterday.  It was Black Friday and I was worried things would be jammed but we arrived, the test person was right there and took our info, gave up the swabs, we were in/out tested and gone in less than 10 minutes.  The results were sent by email in less than 1 hour.  It went very smoothly.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

We just had the rapid test at CVS yesterday.  It was Black Friday and I was worried things would be jammed but we arrived, the test person was right there and took our info, gave up the swabs, we were in/out tested and gone in less than 10 minutes.  The results were sent by email in less than 1 hour.  It went very smoothly.

Good Sailing

Tom

Was it in FLL?

On 11/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, lggfly said:

The FDA granted an extension such that the expiration dates are now 12 months from the date of manufacture

That would be great! Do you have a link to that information? Would like to print out a copy to store with the ones I have.  Thanks