LIVE from the Majestic Princess /Mexico November 27-December 4

pkt1976

13 minutes ago, Twiga said:

I love the veggie carvings!  Very creative! Can someone on this cruise, or a previous Mexico/Sea of Cortez cruise tell me what the weather is like onboard the ship on sea days?  Is it shorts and t-shirts weather on deck or long pants and sweaters?  Thanks so much and have a great cruise!

It’s a bit cooler today outside, probably will warm up this afternoon. Three weeks ago it was quite warm the whole time, but we will see how this week goes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

I’ve never tried eggs Benedict before and decided today was the day. As it turns out, I didn’t like it 🤦🏼‍♀️I just didn’t like the consistency of the egg.

My wife and I both love Eggs Benedict. We have each tried them on Princess. My wife said, "Never again". My first try was pretty much like that, Not good. Not only did it seem the ham, eggs, and Hollandaise had been "pre-built" and had been sitting under warming lights for a long time but there was very little Hollandaise on the eggs. I tried it again on another cruise and specified extra Hollandaise on the side. I got it and added a bunch more sauce. It was "better" but still not good. It's not supposed to take a chainsaw to cut the meat and the muffin. The eggs had obviously been cooked well in advance and sitting under the warming lamp had given them a weird consistency. I don't think EB will be in our sights the next time we cruise - if we ever manage to cruise again.

• Like 2

Oh i forgot to post earlier. Passenger count on this cruise is 1365. It’s nice to sail with less people, but concerning of course, from a profitability standpoint. 

An ESTIMATED passenger count for a profitable cruise on this ship that was mentioned was 2100. A lot of cruisers I’ve chatted with have mentioned they are spending more money onboard then they normally would, or booked a higher category. we want Princess to succeed and come back strong too. 

I very often cruise solo and a mini suite would usually not be in my price range, so I’m enjoying it and buying some things I normally do not.

if my passport wasn't expiring (I’ll send it off to renew once I get home) I’d be pressing buttons to book another soon 🤣. I just don’t know how long it will take to get it back so not booking until I have it in hand.  

some of my friends think I’m Crazy for cruising, some (who’ve never even cruised) have called a cruise ship a “floating petri dish” which irritates me to no end, but I take the opportunity to share that in my opinion and from my observations,  a cruise ship is MUCH cleaner than many other entertainment/travel option such as busses, airplanes,   Many hotels, public restrooms in many places etc. I feel  very safe and well cared for here on board. 

I miss the country western, 50’s party, Latin night etc that are currently not happening, but am seeing it as an opportunity to do activities I haven’t done in the past. I’m sitting here watching a football game now, going out on my balcony watching the water, and just having a slower paced cruise than I did in the past. 

someone asked if a mahjong get together could be posted in the patter at the meet and greet. At this time, they can’t have anything in the patter where mixed passengers are touching and handing items back and forth. 

I hope passengers understand that the cruise line is trying to help us have an amazing time, but still have so any limitations. My feeling on this is Be kind, be patient and be aware. 

With the limits and challenges, the entertainment team have added other activities to the offerings. This includes more enrichment lectures (yes real enrichment and not a sales pitch 😉 ), more activities and more games. They miss the normal times too and can’t wait until the day those days return. 

One of the officers mentioned something I didn’t really think of before he said it. Sharing our experiences here and with our friends and family will help educate others and hopefully help people feel more confident with booking cruises. I hope others on this cruise share their experiences as well. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife and I both love Eggs Benedict. We have each tried them on Princess. My wife said, "Never again". My first try was pretty much like that, Not good. Not only did it seem the ham, eggs, and Hollandaise had been "pre-built" and had been sitting under warming lights for a long time but there was very little Hollandaise on the eggs. I tried it again on another cruise and specified extra Hollandaise on the side. I got it and added a bunch more sauce. It was "better" but still not good. It's not supposed to take a chainsaw to cut the meat and the muffin. The eggs had obviously been cooked well in advance and sitting under the warming lamp had given them a weird consistency. I don't think EB will be in our sights the next time we cruise - if we ever manage to cruise again.

I’ve never had them so not sure how they are “supposed” to be. It was mostly the consistency of the eggs that did me in. I tried a veggie burger at lunch 😬,  that may end my “experience new foods” this cruise 😳😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

One of the officers mentioned something I didn’t really think of before he said it. Sharing our experiences here and with our friends and family will help educate others and hopefully help people feel more confident with booking cruises. I hope others on this cruise share their experiences as well. 

People who have never cruised have weird ideas about cruising. One woman I used to work with said she would never cruise because "women always get raped on cruises". She was amazed that we would ever get on a cruise ship.

2 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

I’ve never had them so not sure how they are “supposed” to be. It was mostly the consistency of the eggs that did me in. I tried a veggie burger at lunch 😬,  that may end my “experience new foods” this cruise 😳😂

The eggs should be just like a fresh poached egg. I like mine with cooked white, somewhat runny yolk. My wife likes her yolk hard. It's really a pretty simple dish to make and we have it at home sometimes. Hmmm... New Year's Eve is coming up and I think we will cook a ham. (Not a canned ham!) We will have plenty left over for making EB.

• Like 1

The great thing about trying new foods on a cruise is getting something else if you don't like it. I found out on one cruise that I don't like pheasant. It sounded so elegant, like something served on Downton Abbey. 

Eggs Benedict traditionally has a soft poached egg, with a runny yolk. I prefer my egg yolks to be cooked a little more, so I usually asked for them to cooked medium. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

People who have never cruised have weird ideas about cruising. One woman I used to work with said she would never cruise because "women always get raped on cruises". She was amazed that we would ever get on a cruise ship.

I am constantly hearing from family and friends about why we should not cruise.  I've been on over 30 cruises and hear it every time, more so this upcoming cruise on the 11th.  If I hear the "floating petri dish" again, someone could get a mental punch from me.  Have you also heard the "you must be rich" to cruise?  We spend less cruising than people spend at Disney.  I usually don't tell people until I get home to avoid their comments.

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

Eggs Benedict traditionally has a soft poached egg, with a runny yolk. I prefer my egg yolks to be cooked a little more, so I usually asked for them to cooked medium. 

Special ordering can result in not getting an egg that has been under a heat lamp for a while.

• Like 4

I'm excited to follow. We are sailing The Majestic on December 11!  Please keep posting pics of the patters and the menus!  Also - if you see whales anywhere, would you let us know? Finally, we enjoy all the trivia and all the game shows.  I love that you've posted about the games. Please keep that up! Have a wonderful trip.

Lori

• Like 4

15 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

This reminded me of my first meal experience on Princess.  We went to the buffet for the boarding lunch and I got a veggie burger.  It was a cold patty made of leftover mashed potatoes and peas.  One of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth 🙂  If it wouldn't have been day one and the food experience gotten better after that, I would have probably never cruised Princess again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, imalori said:

I'm excited to follow. We are sailing The Majestic on December 11!  Please keep posting pics of the patters and the menus!  Also - if you see whales anywhere, would you let us know? Finally, we enjoy all the trivia and all the game shows.  I love that you've posted about the games. Please keep that up! Have a wonderful trip.

Lori

Will do 😉 I’m not a trivia person but they have a few a day. A few weeks ago I saw whales on the way into Cabo so may see some today. Whales and dolphins are both often seen the next few days 🙌🏻 

25 minutes ago, redhead9 said:

We’re on next week. Can’t wait!
Are the buffets still self-serve, or does someone scoop it for you? 
Also, is the mini-suite balcony larger than regular balcony?

Most items are served to you. There are some items you can grab and go that are plated or in cups. 

most mini suite balconies seem to be the same size as most minis. The floor plan on the Princess site is pretty accurate for sizing. 

16 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

This reminded me of my first meal experience on Princess.  We went to the buffet for the boarding lunch and I got a veggie burger.  It was a cold patty made of leftover mashed potatoes and peas.  One of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth 🙂  If it wouldn't have been day one and the food experience gotten better after that, I would have probably never cruised Princess again.

Lol I’d never seen someone order one or I would have known better 😅thankfully there are lots of food options onboard so I didn’t starve 😅😅😅

35 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

Lol I’d never seen someone order one or I would have known better 😅thankfully there are lots of food options onboard so I didn’t starve 😅😅😅

We were onboard the Majestic a few weeks ago and had a veggie burger at the grill.  Not as good as an Impossible or Beyond Meat burger, but it was not bad.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were onboard the Majestic a few weeks ago and had a veggie burger at the grill.  Not as good as an Impossible or Beyond Meat burger, but it was not bad.  

Veggie burger at the grill is different than the one in a dining room.

• Like 1

@pkt1976thank you once again! So happy to find you back on the ship. Lucky you to be back with Kevin and CH. I sailed with Captain SaganI in March 2013, on Caribbean P. Revise that, didn't sail. Houston, a bit of a problem. I'd love to find you on a sailing one day...to tell you the story. Nice to meet Kevin's mother! Have fun!  Remember I'm the one who can trade your seafood for any lamb I have at the WD. Enjoy every minute.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@pkt1976thank you once again! So happy to find you back on the ship. Lucky you to be back with Kevin and CH. I sailed with Captain SaganI in March 2013, on Caribbean P. Revise that, didn't sail. Houston, a bit of a problem. I'd love to find you on a sailing one day...to tell you the story. Nice to meet Kevin's mother! Have fun!  Remember I'm the one who can trade your seafood for any lamb I have at the WD. Enjoy every minute.  

His mom’s sister in law is also onboard, very nice ladies ! Kevin’s mom won against him at the yes/no game! And he wasn’t holding back trying to get her out either 🤣

• Like 3