RCCL - Covid Testing protocol ... what are the "real" logistics everyone is finding easiest?

Hi Folks!

I am racking my brain, trying to figure how "how to get it done" in the right time window and get a result before I board...

DATA:

• We board Symphony of the Seas on a SATURDAY out of Florida
  • We fly from Portland, OR on the immediate preceeding THURSDAY
  • We are both fully vaccinated (even boostered!)
  • requirement is PCR or Rapid Antigen no more than 2 DAYS before boarding

What/how/when are folks getting thier test done, getting the result in hand, and having something in hand in a timely manner to get on board?

it just all seems so "tight" that it makes it almost impossible to meet deadlines when trying to fly, arrive, hotel, shuttle to cruise port and get on board..

please let me know what others have found as reasonable and sufficient to "get it done" so we can plan, and be allowed on board.

thank you!

Jerry & Carlene

• Like 2

• Snowmeiser changed the title to RCCL - Covid Testing protocol ... what are the "real" logistics everyone is finding easiest?
11 minutes ago, Snowmeiser said:

What/how/when are folks getting thier test done, getting the result in hand, and having something in hand in a timely manner to get on board?

Either get the self administered test or look for something around the airport. 

Try to find a pharmacy close to where you are staying and make an appointment and get an antigen test ( CVS, Walgren ) Thursday or Friday and you will get an answer within 15 min. and a written report

within 2 hours sent to your email address. Good luck

• Like 2

I'm sorry for being ignorant but how does this work? It sounds too good to be true!

1 hour ago, AustinCruise said:

Proctored online test was so very easy. 

7 minutes ago, utopiahereicome said:

Anther vote for the proctored home test - very easy, and you can do it whenever it is convenient for you during the 2 day testing window - no appointment needed, no driving around, instant results!

1 hour ago, AustinCruise said:

Proctored online test was so very easy.

This. Order 3 for every 2 passengers so you have an extra in case of screwup with the test (empty bottle, inconclusive result, etc). The extra $50 a person for peace of mind is worth it.

3 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I'm sorry for being ignorant but how does this work? It sounds too good to be true!

Order from optum or e-med. Google video of E-med at home test. watch it. It really is that easy. Wait times usually less than a minute. You can also search threads here, it is pretty well known on these boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Snowmeiser said:

DATA:

• We board Symphony of the Seas on a SATURDAY out of Florida
  • We fly from Portland, OR on the immediate preceeding THURSDAY
  • We are both fully vaccinated (even boostered!)
  • requirement is PCR or Rapid Antigen no more than 2 DAYS before boarding

Your case works out well. You can use the at home test Thursday morning before your flight. If positive you can cancel it all without having gotten on a plane. Testing can be done 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snowmeiser said:

it just all seems so "tight" that it makes it almost impossible to meet deadlines when trying to fly, arrive, hotel, shuttle to cruise port and get on board..

I agree, two days is not enough time to deal with potential problems.

I schedule a rapid antigen test at CVS for two days before sailing as soon as the date is available to book, usually 13 days prior. Get results in an hour or so. Insurance covers it, so no $$$. If I am concerned about a cancellation, I’ll book a back up appointment one day prior to sailing.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

Another vote for the EMed on line proctored test.  This is what we did for our recent Mariner cruise.  I ordered the tests on line and then did the test on line two days before we boarded Mariner.  I was so anxious about the logistics of the test but doing it home with the on line person watching/guiding was so easy.  Well worth the expense

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just passed yet another free covid testing for free place today. They are everywhere. You dont read any more about people cant get tested do you? Tests are everywhere and plentiful where I live.

Free tests for travel with 2 days are not available where we live in Beaumont, CA or within an hours drive. CVS and Walgreens here don't do them and if we want an inperson test it's $100-$150. We can get regular PCR tests at no cost but results do not come back in less than 48 hours. 

2 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

If anyone needs 3 emed tests expiring 12/18 I’ll send for cost of shipping. 

So your tests show expiration date of 9/18 or 12/18? I called Emed and they are saying they have an extension of 3 month of the showing expiration.

If it says 12/18, then the real expiration date should be 03/18/22.

3 minutes ago, gretchengao said:

So your tests show expiration date of 9/18 or 12/18? I called Emed and they are saying they have an extension of 3 month of the showing expiration.

If it says 12/18, then the real expiration date should be 03/18/22.

9/18

purchased fir a Nov 21 cruise. These were the backups. Actually, planned on 2 backups, but one of us was at CVS with testing available so just did it there. 

1 minute ago, AustinCruise said:

9/18

purchased fir a Nov 21 cruise. These were the backups. Actually, planned on 2 backups, but one of us was at CVS with testing available so just did it there. 

Ok, that is nice of you! Hopefully someone here could benefit from your generosity!

The Abbott Labs BinaxNow proctored self test is easy and will work within your time restraints.  You need to buy them, download the Navica App and set up your account(s), then when you're ready you can go to emed.com to log in and take your test with your proctor supervising.  You'll have your results in 15 minutes, and your official email in 16 minutes.  You can order these tests from Emed.com, and also from Royal I believe.  There may be other sources as well, but be sure to get the PROCTORED home test.  (You can use your smart phone, but I think it's easier to use a laptop for the actual test as it's easier to adjust the camera for the proctor's supervision of your self test.)

Good Luck! 

(My test was easy peasy, my email was quick, and I was negative - yay!)

Judy

IMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.053753287f56e801048cbac533390de3.jpeg

Edited by foxgoodrich
spelling

5 minutes ago, gretchengao said:

Ok, that is nice of you! Hopefully someone here could benefit from your generosity!

If not, we test the kids regularly before / after big activities so will go to good use. Just won’t bother with the proctored part. But the non-proctored are available here for $19 fir a 2 pack. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IndyCapt said:

We have our test kits for the proctored tests. When I go to get the Navica app, there appears to be various options to download. Can anyone clarify which Navica app I need in order to complete the test?

Thanks

It’s the Navica app by Abbott. 

if you do it all from a laptop you don’t even need the app. It will prompt you to create the navica account and login.  Laptop was pretty nice to point the camera up/down fir the different parts of the test. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

It’s the Navica app by Abbott. 

if you do it all from a laptop you don’t even need the app. It will prompt you to create the navica account and login.  Laptop was pretty nice to point the camera up/down fir the different parts of the test. 

Ok thanks…we’ll need to be doing them on our iPhones.