Has the new Omicron variant delay the restart of cruising?

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

This planned music event in Newcastle makes no sense. Watch the numbers soar next week. 🤧😡 I'm off to do the grocery shopping, and then into self imposed lockdown. 😷 I will stick my head up on Tuesday to get my 3rd shot, Pfizer this time.

"A music festival on Newcastle's foreshore will go ahead on Saturday despite the surge in COVID-19 cases in the Hunter Valley." ABC

Just heard it is off by public health order.

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Just heard it is off by public health order.

A very wise decision. NSW Health has also released this advice.

"We urge the local Newcastle community to seriously consider deferring any social events in Newcastle until after Christmas in order to help keep family Christmas gatherings safe, and to help protect their loved ones, the vulnerable and our essential workers."

Edited by By The Bay

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

The numbers keep climbing towards the 25,000 a day prediction.

"NSW records highest daily COVID-19 cases ever with 2,213" ABC

I think it’s about 60% or 70% increase a day . If that keeps up we will reach that target well before the end of January.

Who’s the mathematician? I think new year.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s about 60% or 70% increase a day . If that keeps up we will reach that target well before the end of January.

These numbers will push re start of cruising back further.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Plus a lockdown.

37 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I see Azamara flew all there Australian staff and some agents to the states for Christmas for a Christmas party cruise.
Now that’s a boss.

Our Christmas Party has just been cancelled.  Masks back on in office and all our Covid protocols back in place.  Management concerned about already high number of staff on leave due to close contacts to positive cases. We are in Sydney but also have locations elsewhere in NSW.

4 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Our Christmas Party has just been cancelled.  Masks back on in office and all our Covid protocols back in place.  Management concerned about already high number of staff on leave due to close contacts to positive cases. We are in Sydney but also have locations elsewhere in NSW.

I was under the impression things where supposed to improve.

Im emailing my state and Federal members. It’s a real dog’s breakfast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Was it about 3 years for the tourism and airlines to recover from the SARS virus.It was just a flash in the pan.

10 years for this one?

I think it will be another couple of years before things stabilize then who knows how long it will take for tourism etc to recover.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Was it about 3 years for the tourism and airlines to recover from the SARS virus.It was just a flash in the pan.

10 years for this one?

My dad said 5 years when this all started.  

My hubby has just reluctantly returned to working full-time in Sydney CBD. He says apart from the area around Pitt Street Mall, the city is becoming a ghost town. So many places have closed down.  Trains are only 1/3 full during the morning and end of working day commute.  The days of crowded rush hour trains are long gone.

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think it will be another couple of years before things stabilize then who knows how long it will take for tourism etc to recover.

14 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My dad said 5 years when this all started.  

My hubby has just reluctantly returned to working full-time in Sydney CBD. He says apart from the area around Pitt Street Mall, the city is becoming a ghost town. So many places have closed down.  Trains are only 1/3 full during the morning and end of working day commute.  The days of crowded rush hour trains are long gone.

It’s going to be a long,long grind to recover.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, bazzaw said:

The Omicron variant has reignited the paranoia!!!! On the day after Qld opened its borders, one case onboard an aircraft has forced the rest of the passengers into 14 day quarantine - ALL of them! . There has been zero mention of just how "sick" this person is. While this paranoia and the Qld "unwritten commitment" to zero Covid continues, there will be no cruising or much of anything else.  

Spot on.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, bazzaw said:

There has been zero mention of just how "sick" this person is.

Who says he has to be sick?

You don't have to be sick to be carrying the virus. You don't have to be sick to spread the virus. All you have to have is the virus.

If we have to wait until someone is sick or even for someone to be tested, then it's way too late to do anything about the people who were exposed. They've will have already gone on to their parties and their Xmas shopping.

This might sound like paranoia to some, but it's Epidemiology 101.

If the Qld govt had an "unwritten" commitment to zero covid, then they wouldn't have opened up to a covid hotspot like NSW and given up their zero covid status.

They just don't have a commitment to "Let it Rip", like they do down in Sydney.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Very much so, and each year we get older and older which makes it harder to have nice holidays without cruises to go on. 😪

Julie, please see my post on the other thread - we are two years younger than we think 😉

On 12/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, bazzaw said:

The Omicron variant has reignited the paranoia!!!! On the day after Qld opened its borders, one case onboard an aircraft has forced the rest of the passengers into 14 day quarantine - ALL of them! . There has been zero mention of just how "sick" this person is. While this paranoia and the Qld "unwritten commitment" to zero Covid continues, there will be no cruising or much of anything else.  

Queensland - beautiful one day, paranoid the next.

47 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I love the fact that we now have to wear masks to places that the unvaccinated can go - shopping centres, share rides, public transport. Masks AREN'T mandated in pubs, restaurants, hotels, theatres, concerts etc because you must provide vaccination status to enter these places, since the 17th Dec. Now if this isn’t discrimination and just border line crazy, I don’t know what is 🤔 

BTW - Qld had 20 cases in the last 24 hours.

Edited by Porky55

44 minutes ago, mr walker said:

My daughter and her kids - two of my grandies flew up to Townsville this morning, for 3 nights to see the Vet grandaughter.  Border passes, covid tests, pain in the butt for 3 nights. If you stay 5 days you have to do another covid test.   Paranoid for sure, I can see the gates starting to close.

• Like 1