Has the new Omicron variant delay the restart of cruising?

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Not true. You only need testing if you come from a covid hotspot.

I realise that NSW folk are special and we mere Bananabenders should always genuflect in their direction, but if NSW people had wanted to move freely between states they shouldn't live in covid hotspot.

Of course, the best way not to be living in a covid hotspot was to not have Saint Gladys running the shop when delta came knocking.

NSW covid cases 83,572. Qld covid cases 2,155.

NSW covid deaths 632. Qld covid deaths 7.

Thank you Queen Anna. 😍

But all of of NSW is a Covid hot spot is it not?  The way I read it from Qld Health it is, visitors to Qld from Covid hot spots must be full vaccinated, have negative covid test prior to entry and have another test on day 5 after arrival in Queen Palachook Land.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But all of of NSW is a Covid hot spot is it not?  The way I read it from Qld Health it is, visitors to Qld from Covid hot spots must be full vaccinated, have negative covid test prior to entry and have another test on day 5 after arrival in Queen Palachook Land.

That’s my understanding also. Only interested as our son is supposed to spend Xmas at Gold Coast with his GF family. I saw Minister Death saying if you enter on 20th you can have the 5 day test on 24th or 26th so you don’t have to have on Xmas day.

In any case, I won’t be going to QLD for a long time - I’ll just stick to Australia 😄

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But all of of NSW is a Covid hot spot is it not? 

But NSW is not Australia, even though it might think so. It's tiresome that some from NSW so resent it when Qld doesn't ask "how high" when the NSW government tells it to jump.

Qld did covid the right way, without the panicked schemozzle that NSW went through. Now we are opening our borders, despite the inevitability of covid spread from NSW hotspots, and we are still resented. I really don't understand what we were supposed to do. Just leave the borders open and welcome NSW covid spreaders with a red carpet I suppose.

If you don't want to come to Qld, fair enough, but I expect that for the sake of consistency you will also be avoiding SA, WA, NT and Tas. Who did exactly as Qld did with regard to borders.

2 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I note that there are no Carnival cruises ex Australia listed on their website for March and first half of April. Last round was for Splendor up to and including 4 March and Spirit up to and including 6 March. Another round of cancellations coming up maybe. 

Yes, I have a cruise booked on Splendor for March 17, 2022. Final payments are due on December 17. About two weeks ago I got a frantic email advising me that my final payment was due (on December 17). Had two more since that. I haven't been able to find any reference to the cruise taking place on that date and don't really want to pay for a cruise that has already been cancelled.

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

But NSW is not Australia, even though it might think so. It's tiresome that some from NSW so resent it when Qld doesn't ask "how high" when the NSW government tells it to jump.

Qld did covid the right way, without the panicked schemozzle that NSW went through. Now we are opening our borders, despite the inevitability of covid spread from NSW hotspots, and we are still resented. I really don't understand what we were supposed to do. Just leave the borders open and welcome NSW covid spreaders with a red carpet I suppose.

If you don't want to come to Qld, fair enough, but I expect that for the sake of consistency you will also be avoiding SA, WA, NT and Tas. Who did exactly as Qld did with regard to borders.

Very well said. This is not state of Origon. Although I don't particularly like Palachook myself we have had a pretty good time of it ( without having to wear masks).

14 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Even, as a New South Welshman, I reckon Queensland is doing it right. IMO keeping infections out until vaccination of the population reaches a level where infections are not leading unfortunate, and possibly avoidable, deaths.  Wasn't that the reason the federal government closed our borders last year? I wont be spending Christmas with family in Brisbane this year but that's ok if it means keeping others safe.

On ship cleaning, it can be very noticeable on b2b or cruise sold in segments that sometime changeover cabins aren’t given the attention you might hope (in my opinion anyway)

I have often boarded when they are putting up Christmas decorations and bring on a shore based team to do it all during turnaround, and that has made me wonder why they don’t bring on some extra man power on turnaround day to do a better clean.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

On ship cleaning, it can be very noticeable on b2b or cruise sold in segments that sometime changeover cabins aren’t given the attention you might hope (in my opinion anyway)

I have often boarded when they are putting up Christmas decorations and bring on a shore based team to do it all during turnaround, and that has made me wonder why they don’t bring on some extra man power on turnaround day to do a better clean.

The Cabin Stewards often have a helper from down below, laundry staff or junior bar staff on turn around days. Well, Princess does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Barnaby Joyce the Deputy PM copped a dose of the lurgy in Washington DC. I wonder if he is double vaccinated? 

Yes he is. He caught it in London and then carried it with him to Washington.

What is he doing in London and Washington on the taxpayer tab? Apparently telling world leaders how to deal with the problems created by social media. Seriously.

1 hour ago, Cruisers47 said:

You must be joking…,Barnaby telling people anything!

sounds like a nice tour around.   Wonder how many of his staff are travelling with him.

eileen

Probably half a dozen, all travelling business class I suppose. All tested negative except for Barney.

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Someone on the RC forum emailed RC sydney and it looks that way.

Maybe it will, but at the moment I seriously doubt that even the PM knows what the decision will be, let alone someone at RC Sydney.

Let's wait and see. 😀

Edited by SinbadThePorter

12 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Maybe it will, but at the moment I seriously doubt that even the PM knows what the decision will be, let alone someone at RC Sydney.

Let's wait and see. 😀

That’s what we have gotten used to is waiting.

It sounds like the seasonal brands won’t be back until October, at least.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It sounds like the seasonal brands won’t be back until October, at least.

I agree. But P&O Oz and maybe Carnival would likely startup as soon as possible given a chance. If the govt go ahead doesn't come now in December, it is very likely to come in March. Add a max 3 months to get shipshape and that is a start in either early March or June.

P&O have a flash sale on now. The prices are only so so, but if someone wanted to cruise early I would pick a local July cruise. I still think there won't be any island cruises next year, but I'd like to be wrong.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Which is as good as business class. With RAAF 'Trolley Dollys' lol.

I had a neighbour which was one of those hostesses on the RAAF aircraft.

And uncle Les I thought she was a man the first couple of times I met her.

She was interesting to talk to as she was also a bodyguard for the PM at the time.

When Australian officials went overseas seas they took a couple of these minders with them .

I spotted her a couple of times,early in the morning walking around the house   AND   uncle Les you wouldn’t want to mess with this lady. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I had a neighbour which was one of those hostesses on the RAAF aircraft.

And uncle Les I thought she was a man the first couple of times I met her.

She was interesting to talk to as she was also a bodyguard for the PM at the time.

When Australian officials went overseas seas they took a couple of these minders with them .

I spotted her a couple of times,early in the morning walking around the house   AND   uncle Les you wouldn’t want to mess with this lady. 

Did it have short back and sides, or a No.1  lol.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Did it have short back and sides, or a No.1  lol.

No ,long hair ,sort of Conan or Arnold Schwarzenegger with boobs.

I’m usually not a peeping tom but when I saw her ironing her airforce uniform at 4:00 am it was a real eye opener.

If you could imagine big arnie with stockings on ???

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

No ,long hair ,sort of Conan or Arnold Schwarzenegger with boobs.

I’m usually not a peeping tom but when I saw her ironing her airforce uniform at 4:00 am it was a real eye opener.

If you could imagine big arnie with stockings on ???

Ah, the traditional Brick Shirthouse eh?

• Haha 1