New to Princess - Emerald Princess to Panama Canal - What do I need to know?

misguy

I was wondering the same thing, as we can see her from our room at the Hilton Marina. The original schedule (according to Princess) was for a 4:00 pm departure. The Regal Princess and Celebrity Mellinnium both departed by 5:00 pm.

We're on the 12/19 sailing and this is possibly a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. If we're booked for an excursion, will we leave the ship before it transits the locks or after? I'll be a little bummed at missing the transit, but not enough to miss out on Panama Vieja...

2 hours ago, MadMouser said:

We're on the 12/19 sailing and this is possibly a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. If we're booked for an excursion, will we leave the ship before it transits the locks or after? I'll be a little bummed at missing the transit, but not enough to miss out on Panama Vieja...

Disembarkation for excursions is usually after the ship has entered Gatun Lake.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kmkub said:

For those who have been on the Emerald. Does it have the door at the bow of the ship that takes you to the "secret" deck over the bridge?

That could be a good place to observe the passage.

Yes. Now whether or not it will be unlocked is another question.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:18 PM, capriccio said:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/escape-to-the-sanctuary-for-a-day-of-rest-and-relaxation.html

The price (these are pre-covid; I haven't seen any comments that the prices have been increased) depends on the length of your reservation:

• the entire cruise at $30/day per person
  • a single full day at $40/day per person, or
  • a half day at $20/per half day per person

On warm weather cruises it is best to make your reservations as soon as you board the ship.  It is a very popular venue. Reservatins are made by going to the Sanctuary.

The cost is higher for canal day.

10 hours ago, MadMouser said:

We are on your sailing, too. Such a helpful post! Have you joined the Roll Call? It is very quiet over there.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The cost is higher for canal day.

In times of old, Panama Canal day and Glacier Bay day Sanctuary prices doubled.  "Full cruise" Sanctuary bookings do NOT apply to Canal day, so book early and if you are booking full cruise make certain the person making the booking is quite clear that you want that special day too.

To be fair, they provided a fair number of extra's, on Canal day a nice brunch / mimosas.  On Glacier Bay day excellent hot cocoa and breakfast in your lounger under a stack of blankets.  

I would note that the Sanctuary does not have particularly great views of canal operations which happen close along side the ship.

Emerald Princess is using the new locks and it is a partial  transit through the canal.

Works differently from the incredible older one. They don't use the "mules".

Mules are equipment, not animals for those that don't know.The older locks are amazing as the construction is over 100 years old and still works the same as it did then.Either way you go through the canal, a fabulous experience.

18 hours ago, misguy said:

Does it matter what your status is with Princess  for the Sanctuary pricing?

But your status helps you get chairs (especially in Caribbean sector) because higher status allows you to be among first to board (assuming you are checking in early enough at the terminal).  It's first-come, first-served, at Sanctuary.  You need to act fast on anything in that region.  Other parts of the world don't see the same demand.

• 2 weeks later...

More questions, which restaurant will be open for lunch on boarding day? 

For Elite, how much laundry can you get done?

Which meals are not to be missed in the MDR,  I will be doing video reviews of all restaurants, and so I want to choose wisely on what days to eat in a specialty Restaurant.

26 minutes ago, misguy said:

You'll receive a bag (paper). It holds maybe 2 day's worth for 2 people (depending on what you want cleaned). You can send in laundry every day, if needed. There is a cut-off a couple of days before the end of the cruise, so your clothes won't end up on the ship when you're not.

1 hour ago, misguy said:

More questions, which restaurant will be open for lunch on boarding day? 

Laundry turn around time can be as long as 3 days, might be shorter. No limit on amount of laundry. Ask the cabin steward for as many bags as you need. You can send a bag(s) every day. There is a cut off a few days before disrmbarkation.

One MDR should be open for lunch until 1 or 1:30. Others buffet, pizza & grill by the Lido pools, International Cafe, Ocean Now app.

5 hours ago, misguy said:

Be very careful about sending in delicate items. They very often ruin those things. 

Also take photo's of everything so that if an item goes missing (very seldom) you'll have a picture to help them find it.