Jewelry

Kmkub

We got a good education from an insurance adjuster years ago.  We had a jewelry claim.  He sent us to a hole in the wall jeweler who worked in a nondescript office building.  Got the stone we required, and excellent quality, for a fraction of the cost that the shopping center jewelry chains had quoted.

He had been in the business for years and was kind enough to give us chapter and verse as to how the retail end of the business operated and manipulated customers with 'appraisal' certificates.

Buying jewelry in the Caribbean is a feel good business.  Everyone comes away a hero thinking they have the deal of the century...poor jewelry store.  It that were the case these stores would have been out of business years ago. 

Edited by iancal

BTW, this summer in Alaska I happened to ride a city bus in Ketchikan where a passenger went on a rant about how jewelry stores were taking over all the storefronts downtown and ruining it for the residents. She asked, "Who would come to Alaska to buy jewelry?"

The main Alaska cruise ports do have a lot of jewelry and diamond stores. There was less cruise traffic than usual while I was there, but there was some, and I didn't see a customer in any of them. It became a cruise "thing" years ago when it started to be popular in the duty-free ports like St. Thomas, but Alaska is not duty-free and it makes even less sense there.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Usually, the only way someone can buy diamonds for much less than they are worth is if the person selling the diamonds is a thief.  Very few people in the diamond business will sell them for much less than they are worth.

I was always told go second hand because diamonds don't appreciate except for fancy or absolutely perfect clear diamonds. Apparently second hand they will sell closer to market value🤔

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

BTW, this summer in Alaska I happened to ride a city bus in Ketchikan where a passenger went on a rant about how jewelry stores were taking over all the storefronts downtown and ruining it for the residents. She asked, "Who would come to Alaska to buy jewelry?"

Unfortunately a complaint amongst many tourist destinations, local businesses getting pushed out for tourist shops. Cruise companies buy out all the prime real estate so they are the first shops you see and not enough cruisers go past them to the local shops on top of that now cruisers expect things like jewellery stores as part of the cruising experience. 

I am not much of a souvenir person but the one time I actually enjoyed souvenir shopping was our Aranui cruise where all the sellers were local artisans. We could actually ask them how something was made, what is the purpose or meaning behind it. It was refreshing compared to having a salesperson trying to convince me I'll love it when they can't tell me what it is😂. Unfortunately people tend to love their multinational conglomerates so if they know the brand they will gravitate to that assuming that is where the best value is so local businesses can never compete. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was always told go second hand because diamonds don't appreciate except for fancy or absolutely perfect clear diamonds. Apparently second hand they will sell closer to market value🤔

There is a local jeweler who carries "estate" jewelry - previously owned -- who provides me with special gifts for my wife, daughters and daughters-in-law.  Diamonds, gold, platinum, etc. do not deteriorate due to previous ownership -- but so many unthinking people do not like the idea of "second hand stuff"   -- while ignoring the fact that if the previous owner had been Jackie Kennedy, or some Russian Grand Duchess, they would have gone ape for it  -- that it is possible for thinking people to give gifts of value and beauty which they probably could not afford if "new".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

We got a good education from an insurance adjuster years ago.  We had a jewelry claim.  He sent us to a hole in the wall jeweler who worked in a nondescript office building.  Got the stone we required, and excellent quality, for a fraction of the cost that the shopping center jewelry chains had quoted.

He had been in the business for years and was kind enough to give us chapter and verse as to how the retail end of the business operated and manipulated customers with 'appraisal' certificates.

For serious stones Mrs Ldubs has dealt directly with an importer/wholesaler.  Nothing like a glitzy showroom.  It feels more like I'm entering a high security lab.  That is about all I know as I just sit quietly out of the way.   

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

while ignoring the fact that if the previous owner had been Jackie Kennedy, or some Russian Grand Duchess, they would have gone ape for it 

A famous owner would definitely make the price go up even if the gems themselves are low quality. I remember on the news once some famous actress's (the name escapes me) costume jewellery went for $1.5 million😂

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

A famous owner would definitely make the price go up even if the gems themselves are low quality. I remember on the news once some famous actress's (the name escapes me) costume jewellery went for $1.5 million😂

Phillis Diller   😆

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Interesting how "fame" attracts:   while they were around Edward Windsor and Wallis Simpson were well compensated professional guests - a fund raising benefit could always enhance sales by trotting them out as being in attendance -- more recently, clubs could enhance their crowds by making it know Paris Hilton would be there.

Customers believe so much nonsense.  The trick is always to focus the customer on how much they are 'saving' vs the value of the product that is being considered.  And message the customer's ego.  Who does not want to act the hero in front of their significant other by slashing out and by 'getting' an incredibly smart buy at the same time.

Jewelry, mattresses, luggage.  Look around at all those businesses that have been successful for so many years simply by selling product' below cost' or at the very least incredible 'discounts'.   They must have very accommodating bankers.

Anyone who thinks that they got a fabulous deal, bargained the socks off some naive Caribbean jewelry store salesperson, or for a moment actually believes the appraisal certificate details is delusional. 

They are up against pros who have been doing this for years.  Taking candy from a baby in most instances.

Edited by iancal

54 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I agree with everything you say here, but if one wants to buy jewelry, what do you expect them to do?  Bargaining down in Mexico is definitely going to yield better pricing than buying from a local jeweler, if one is in the market and at least has some reasonable knowledge of what they're doing.  There are too many impulse buyers but that's their problem.  

Jewelry as a whole is a horrible "investment" unless (and even then) you're buying multi-million dollar type pieces.  On virtually anything below $15-20K, you'd be lucky to get back 10 cents on the dollar from a jeweler or pawn shop.  Even a perfect 3 carat diamond for low six figures isn't going to yield even 50 cents on the dollar unless you can find a private party to pay more.

One thing to do...buy locally from someone you trust.  Someone you can go back to if you have an issue.  Preferably the proprietor is a jeweler of gemologist and is always in the store selling, designing, or repairing.    Don't bother dealing with a place that sends all of their repairs out. 

If you know an insurance adjuster/underwriter call them up and ask who they recommend.  Failing that...Costco.  

Don't bother with the shopping center types.  You will really NOT be getting 30 or 50 off on that consignment stock that they have brought in specially  for Christmas and post Christmas blow out sales.

Years ago I saw a 60 Minutes show about gold jewelry retail stores in New York.  Astonishing at the high percentage of pieces that they found to be under carat.    In Canada, Sears was prosecuted by Consumer Affairs for their practice of providing false appraisal certificates for their engagement rings.

Edited by iancal

Our long time jeweler actually recommends Costco and Blue Nile.   

He claims that he cannot get diamonds of the same quality  for what Costco sells some of their settings for.  He stopped selling diamond rings.

He will custom design, repair, modify a Costco setting, or bring a quality stone to replace one lost in a setting.

From my perspective, getting off a cruise ship in the Caribbean and buying jewelry is akin to buying 'art' at  the on board art auctions. 

Spend a little because you like it ...for the moment and for the person you are with.  Do not believe a word that that salesperson tells you.  Certainly do not buy it as an investment because it isn't.  The value of the  memory and the sentimentality exceeds any value that you attach to it.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2

Not the Caribbean, but some years ago on a shore excursion in Hong Kong I bought a lovely pair of jade earrings for $25.  On the bus returning to the ship a lady asked me what I had bought.  After I showed her she said “you know they are probably not real jade”. And here was me thinking I had bagged a bargain. Lol

3 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Not the Caribbean, but some years ago on a shore excursion in Hong Kong I bought a lovely pair of jade earrings for $25.  On the bus returning to the ship a lady asked me what I had bought.  After I showed her she said “you know they are probably not real jade”. And here was me thinking I had bagged a bargain. Lol

Yes — they are doing amazing things with plastics these days.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes — they are doing amazing things with plastics these days.

Glass usually not plastic. Most sellers trying to pass fake jade as real will use glass  because they are trying to mimic the cold to the touch property. That is one way of spotting fake jade is it should retain its coldness for quite some time as you hold it in your hand.

6 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Not necessarily fake but it could be low quality. I have a jade rolling pin (useful in Australia for rolling pastry that needs to remain cold) that is basically reject stone because of its glaring imperfections. All real jade should have some imperfections but for high end jewellery they use ones where the imperfections are subtle. Too perfect at that price most likely fake. If there is any stone hanging out of the setting you could try the sound test. Get something metallic and gently tap it. Real jade should have a deep resonate sound. If it sounds hollow it's fake. The other is a scratch test. Jade is stronger than steel so if you get a steel knife or needle scratching the stone should not leave a mark. Of course if you love those earrings you may not want to risk the damage. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, ilikeanswers said:

Not necessarily fake but it could be low quality. I have a jade rolling pin (useful in Australia for rolling pastry that needs to remain cold) that is basically reject stone because of its glaring imperfections. All real jade should have some imperfections but for high end jewellery they use ones where the imperfections are subtle. Too perfect at that price most likely fake. If there is any stone hanging out of the setting you could try the sound test. Get something metallic and gently tap it. Real jade should have a deep resonate sound. If it sounds hollow it's fake. The other is a scratch test. Jade is stronger than steel so if you get a steel knife or needle scratching the stone should not leave a mark. Of course if you love those earrings you may not want to risk the damage. 

I didn’t care whether they were “real” or not.  I just liked them.  I was under no illusions as to their value or lack of.  Same as the emeralds they tried to sell to me in Cartagena or the black pearls in Tahiti.  If I want good value jewellery I will go to a reputable jeweller not a pop up shop near the port.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gwendy said:

the black pearls in Tahiti.  

That sentence reminded me of a stall in Fakarava that did an oyster lucky dip. You would buy an oyster and he would open it in front of you and you got whatever pearl was inside the oyster. One woman he opened the oyster and it was a big black perfectly round pearl. The oyster guy was even astonished😂. It obviously worth more than the $20 she paid for the oyster 🤑

The only type of "jewelry" I have ever purchased on a cruise were watches.   Unlike jewelry, watch prices can be compared by non-experts, so long as you purchase them from a reputable dealer, and for fine Swiss watches, at a factory authorized dealer.