Move cruise to later date,

Hinda

I am booked on the January 4, 2021 cruise on the Riviera.  Because of the latest news about Covid I have asked Oceania to let us move to a later date.  Same ship and same ports.  We 80 and 79 and are concerned about our health.  Oceania has refused to let us do this.  We have been on 12 Oceania cruises and love the cruise line.  But Oceania has disappointed us.  We have not asked for a refund or future credit .  We just want to be safe.....we are both triple vaccinated.

Hinda

1 minute ago, Hinda said:

I am booked on the January 4, 2021 cruise on the Riviera.  Because of the latest news about Covid I have asked Oceania to let us move to a later date.  Same ship and same ports.  We 80 and 79 and are concerned about our health.  Oceania has refused to let us do this.  We have been on 12 Oceania cruises and love the cruise line.  But Oceania has disappointed us.  We have not asked for a refund or future credit .  We just want to be safe.....we are both triple vaccinated.

Hinda

Had you booked onboard, you’d have a one time cruise change allowance. However, this close to embarkation might impact that rule. 
Assuming you didn’t book onboard, has your TA tried to intercede?

Early in 2021, O was allowing cancels closer to embarkation via it’s Travelers Assurance Program. But, that’s been inactive for months.  

As for the regular current policy, you’re definitely in the Penalty Phase (probably near/at 100%). If you’ve purchased CFAR insurance, you might want to check with your insurer regarding whether “fear of a pandemic” is claimable.

But, other than the above, the only way the current O policy will allow you a refund/FCC is if you present proof of a positive Covid test within 2 weeks of embarkation.

In any case, and while I understand your concern, know that O has among the strictest Covid related restrictions. We’ll be on Riviera in January 14 and, based on our experience on Nautica when the Covid mess started, we have zero concerns about not being safe on Riviera this January.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hinda said:

Hinda

On the same sailing, and hope to see you aboard.

FWIW, also tripled with Moderna vaxx. We aren't concerned so much with any threats against our health. Naturally that is a highly individual thing.

One thing that gives us solace is that we all will be pretty much 3xers. We'll have done everything we possibly could (collectively, as guests), and be in an environment where those in charge are doing everything they possibly can.

You have been on a great many of these trips. I'm sure your experience has been that you've been surrounded by people that are incredibly intelligent, engaged and desirous of doing the right things for their health. 

Personally, I think being on that ship will be safer than pretty much any place on earth. This will be our first Oceania cruise and although the circumstances are less than perfect - and given the choice, I'd take my money back like you would and go at a different time - nothing is going to get in between me and a great time. 

Cheers, and bon voyage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hinda said:

I just want to move to March 8 cruise......same ship same ports same price,  We do have insurance but would need a letter from doctor saying we are sick which is not true.  I do not want FCC or refund.

What happened to the other posts on this topic.  Why were they eliminated.

Pardon my directness but, it is really ridiculous to think that Covid things will be any different between January and March 2022.

Take (and enjoy) your cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Pardon my directness but, it is really ridiculous to think that Covid things will be any different between January and March 2022.

Actually, I do.  I think you have a much better chance of a January cruise actually happening than a March one. 

32 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Actually, I do.  I think you have a much better chance of a January cruise actually happening than a March one. 

Interesting perspective. 

Sort of like, it's too late to cancel something that is right around the corner, but if things worsen a whole new world can occur.

One of the things I've noticed the April 4 trip on the Riveria for Spain/Western Med, where a surprisingly large number of cabins are available. mmm.

1 hour ago, AlexCherie said:

On the same sailing, and hope to see you aboard.

FWIW, also tripled with Moderna vaxx. We aren't concerned so much with any threats against our health. Naturally that is a highly individual thing.

One thing that gives us solace is that we all will be pretty much 3xers. We'll have done everything we possibly could (collectively, as guests), and be in an environment where those in charge are doing everything they possibly can.

You have been on a great many of these trips. I'm sure your experience has been that you've been surrounded by people that are incredibly intelligent, engaged and desirous of doing the right things for their health. 

Personally, I think being on that ship will be safer than pretty much any place on earth. This will be our first Oceania cruise and although the circumstances are less than perfect - and given the choice, I'd take my money back like you would and go at a different time - nothing is going to get in between me and a great time. 

Cheers, and bon voyage.

Look forward to seeing you on board.  

14 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

Interesting perspective. 

Sort of like, it's too late to cancel something that is right around the corner, but if things worsen a whole new world can occur.

One of the things I've noticed the April 4 trip on the Riveria for Spain/Western Med, where a surprisingly large number of cabins are available. mmm.

Alex, I am booked on that April 4 Riviera cruise, Spain and Canary Islands itinerary. Up until a month ago the cruise was fairly well sold. Oceania recently moved the final pay date to 60 days which is frequently a sign a particular cruise/itinerary is in trouble. It could be that people are concerned we might not make it at all to the Canaries due to the volcano and there would be a massive itinerary change. It could be that watching what is going on in Europe with covid restrictions that only bubble excursions can be used to get off the ship. It could be the new mask mandate will still be in place in April. So many unknowns.

If all the above scenarios are in place on Feb. 4 or O doesn't move back FP date to 30 days I will be cancelling. I am already having my TA look at this same itinerary for 2023. People here are always crowing about how all Oceania cruises sell out but here is one that is wide open for bookings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howiefrommd said:

I am beginning to think this way also. I am having doubts that any of the early Europe cruises in April and May are going to happen on any cruise line. Many EU countries have already banned UK citizens from going there, Americans may be next on the list. Just today Israel banned all travel from the US to Israel.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, susiesan said:

I am beginning to think this way also. I am having doubts that any of the early Europe cruises in April and May are going to happen on any cruise line. Many EU countries have already banned UK citizens from going there, Americans may be next on the list. Just today Israel banned all travel from the US to Israel.

Final payment for our May 29th 17 day cruise to Europe is next week…..5 months in advance.  Conditions in Europe are so unstable, together with arising virus variants, makes 5 months in advance for FP a financial and medical risk. We and our friends will have to cancel. Oceania should reinstate the cancellation options for FCC they previously had. 

Jayne, one of the things I may do if O doesn't move the final pay date to 30 days or offer the ability to cancel on short notice for a FCC like other lines do, I will cancel the cruise at 60 days and keep all my airline and hotel reservations. Then if things are looking up on short notice I can just rebook the cruise at the last minute. I know that my sailing is very very lightly sold.

My cruise is entirely in Spain and there is now an outdoor mask mandate for the whole country. bad enough to have to wear a mask while on a ship but to have to wear one walking around outside is a definite deal killer.

10 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Final payment for our May 29th 17 day cruise to Europe is next week…..5 months in advance.  Conditions in Europe are so unstable, together with arising virus variants, makes 5 months in advance for FP a financial and medical risk. We and our friends will have to cancel. Oceania should reinstate the cancellation options for FCC they previously had. 

They have been delaying final payment  till 60 days on some sailings  so maybe call & ask  before you cancel

11 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Oceania should reinstate the cancellation options for FCC they previously had. 

Totally agree with this.  Thus far the more liberal cancellation/FCC policies on other lines have not prompted O to follow suit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Jayne, one of the things I may do if O doesn't move the final pay date to 30 days or offer the ability to cancel on short notice for a FCC like other lines do, I will cancel the cruise at 60 days and keep all my airline and hotel reservations. Then if things are looking up on short notice I can just rebook the cruise at the last minute. I know that my sailing is very very lightly sold.

My cruise is entirely in Spain and there is now an outdoor mask mandate for the whole country. bad enough to have to wear a mask while on a ship but to have to wear one walking around outside is a definite deal killer.

We are doing the exact same thing.  We also have many ports in Spain. Keeping air, which is fully refundable.

Our cruise has over 136 available cabins.  The cancellation have been growing each day.  I have a PH3 at an A1 price, so will lose that cabin but not worth booking anything with Final Payment 5 months out. 

As to the post advising me to call Oceania.....I've spoken with Supervisor last week and again yesterday and my TA has also requested shorter Final Payment window or to make payment with availability to cancel for FCC should there be multiple itinerary changes.  The response is a strong "NO"!

Yesterday, Royal Carib returned to Ft. Lauderdale with 55 Covid cases.  They bypassed Aruba and Curacao and returned to Florida a day early.  This is the 3rd ship in 10 days out of Florida with dozens of Covid cases.

These cruises are not what passengers paid for.  I sympathize with the cruise lines....not their fault....but many passengers cannot afford to chalk this up to a bad vacation and book again.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your directness pardoned, however, it is not at all ridiculous to think Covid with be different from January to March.  In South Africa where Omicron originated, it has taken 25 days from initial outbreak to peak and now noticeably down.  The medical community believes United States should peak by early/mid January and reduced by February.  Why would anyone want to cruise Jan. 4 if they could move to March?  Unfortunately O cannot accommodate one couple's request without setting a precedent for all.

13 hours ago, Jayne E said:

What was the previous cancellation policy for non Oceania cancelled cruises?  And when did it expire?

2 hours ago, marieps said:

Totally agree with this.  Thus far the more liberal cancellation/FCC policies on other lines have not prompted O to follow suit.

I am a little surprised as well.  But I clearly knew the non flexible policy when I made my final payment, so I cannot really complain.  Not allowing customers that are uncomfortable to cancel for a FCC is apparently not creating much of a problem for the NCL family of cruise lines.

44 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

We are doing the exact same thing.  We also have many ports in Spain. Keeping air, which is fully refundable.

Our cruise has over 136 available cabins.  The cancellation have been growing each day.  I have a PH3 at an A1 price, so will lose that cabin but not worth booking anything with Final Payment 5 months out. 

Agree. If I don't make this particular cruise in 2022 I will do it in 2023. My sailing goes to the Canary Islands, and the continuing volcano eruptions is another factor that could cause this cruise itinerary to be modified. I f I don't go to the Canary islands then I won't accept a revised itinerary. 

Why do you have to make final payment 5 months out?

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Agree. If I don't make this particular cruise in 2022 I will do it in 2023. My sailing goes to the Canary Islands, and the continuing volcano eruptions is another factor that could cause this cruise itinerary to be modified. I f I don't go to the Canary islands then I won't accept a revised itinerary. 

Why do you have to make final payment 5 months out?

I booked this as a 17 day Grand Voyage cruise.  Can also be booked as a 7 & 10 day cruise.  Cruises of 17 days require FP 5 months in advance.....under present conditions, 5 months is a "lifetime".

We are also booked on Marina end of August, Mediterranean, which is presently also 5 months.  May have to cancel that also unless O makes any payment changes.  Seems they are only picking a handful of cruises and reducing payment from 90 to 60 days.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

What was the previous cancellation policy for non Oceania cancelled cruises?  And when did it expire?

I am a little surprised as well.  But I clearly knew the non flexible policy when I made my final payment, so I cannot really complain.  Not allowing customers that are uncomfortable to cancel for a FCC is apparently not creating much of a problem for the NCL family of cruise lines.

Agreed.   As a new stockholder I can appreciate price integrity.  As a passenger, I'll live with it.

4 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Your directness pardoned, however, it is not at all ridiculous to think Covid with be different from January to March.  In South Africa where Omicron originated, it has taken 25 days from initial outbreak to peak and now noticeably down.  The medical community believes United States should peak by early/mid January and reduced by February.  Why would anyone want to cruise Jan. 4 if they could move to March?  Unfortunately O cannot accommodate one couple's request without setting a precedent for all.

Because we haven't run out of Greek letters yet???

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, marieps said:

As a new stockholder I can appreciate price integrity.  As a passenger, I'll live with it.

A stockholder might appreciate price integrity. But when new bookings start to disappear because customers see other similarly situated lines allowing cancellation with fcc, it might be a different story.  Here's Viking's policy, for example:  "Plan your voyage risk free.
✓ Change your cruise date up to 14 days prior to departure
✓ All change fees are waived
✓ The ultimate flexibility: You have 24 months to select your new cruise date
✓ Combinable with all other Viking offers"

Book now! Plan your voyage risk free.

• ✓ Change your cruise date up to 14 days prior to departure
  • ✓ All change fees are waived
  • ✓ The ultimate flexibility: You have 24 months to select your new cruise date
  • ✓ Combinable with all other Viking offers

Book now! Plan your voyage risk free.

• ✓ Change your cruise date up to 14 days prior to departure
  • ✓ All change fees are waived
  • ✓ The ultimate flexibility: You have 24 months to select your new cruise date
  • ✓ Combinable with all other Viking offers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ohmark said:

A stockholder might appreciate price integrity. But when new bookings start to disappear because customers see other similarly situated lines allowing cancellation with fcc, it might be a different story.  Here's Viking's policy, for example:  "Plan your voyage risk free.
✓ Change your cruise date up to 14 days prior to departure
✓ All change fees are waived
✓ The ultimate flexibility: You have 24 months to select your new cruise date
✓ Combinable with all other Viking offers

The problem with Viking is that then you have to eat their food. 
Seriously, O doesn’t have to worry about losing its regular cruisers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The problem with Viking is that then you have to eat their food. 
Seriously, O doesn’t have to worry about losing its regular cruisers.

FYI: Here's Silversea's policy:  "

"The following information applies to sailings on Silversea Cruises scheduled during the nationally declared Public Health Emergency involving COVID-19.  

Cruise Cancelled By Guest

If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the cruise fare paid to Silversea. If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to Silversea. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Ticket Contract for your cruise."

Edited by ohmark

I'm on a 14 day cruise in May.  My final payment date is almost here, which will be 5 months pre-cruise.  Is 5 months out somewhat normal for Oceania?  And if it isn't, would it be possible to ask that my final payment be extended a bit?  I do plan, at this point anyway, to go on the cruise (not cancel) and if necessary, I can pay.  But I'd prefer to wait another month or two if possible.  But even if Oceania agrees to move a person's final payment date, the date when cancelation penalties outlined in the person's contract/invoice documentation come into play remain unchanged, right?  So I'd reach the end of my no penalty period before I made final payment, I assume. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for final payment 5 months pre-cruise.  The other cruise line we love makes us pay a LOT sooner than that, even for short cruises!