Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

35 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The photo seems to show people queueing  in the baggage reclaim area, were people here waiting to be tested or waiting to be let upstairs for check in and embarkation? 

When embarked onto Sky Princess in October it was a very slick operation. We had driven so went to the Mayflower terminal to be tested but there didn't seem to be much of a queue for the others that were tested at the Ocean terminal. We had a small wait (5 mins) before being allowed up the escalator to check in and then sitting down for a while before being called through for security and boarding but that was it.

The photo, I believe, if the crowded hall where passengers had to line up for testing in Southampton.  I saw several other posts by folks who boarded there complaining about the terrible embarkation; some said they were left out in the cold and rain to wait.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which seems to undermine the value of testing.  Of course most cases would be caught by tests - but the fact remains:

There is no such thing as a sure thing.

Well of course, anyone travelling during a pandemic takes a risk that they will encounter some disruption.

8 minutes ago, Queen of the Queen said:

Does that mean that all other passengers are remaining on the ship for the three days in New York?

Were there no passengers booked for the crossing only?  I guess I haven't been tracking.

4 hours ago, sogne said:

just heard back from Cunard it’s only 10 people and all off ship isolating in US ship has been deep cleaned and it’s cruise still going ahead as planned 

on a Cunard FB PAGE

Thank you for the clarification , I have a number of close friends who are travelling onboard   ( including crew members) who have 'confirmed' that the total is indeed approximately ten guests. (not 60 + as the MSM would like us to believe)  

Whilst ten is still far too many , the ship is indeed preparing to continue with her itinerary  . 🤞

• Like 1

I haven't seen anything either apart from a somewhat 'gloating' 'ish  piece online from the Express. I think I'll wait until we hear from Cunard or at the very least a passenger.

Edit

The toned down  account posted here seems more in keeping. I trust Cunard and the passengers to follow all protocols. It wouldn't stop me joining a Cunard ship. I hope QM2  and all her passengers have a wonderful Christmas and  New Year.

Edited by Victoria2

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

How could that have happened though? Once tested you go onboard the QM2 which doesnt stop till it hits NYC?

Easily because LFT's are not 100% accurate and they could have been negative and caught Covid on the day or just before as the virus takes a couple of days to develop and show on tests.

4 hours ago, comcox said:

This lot of passengers was tested at the port in Southampton and that may have contributed to the situation as hundreds were lined up in a closed space going through the testing process.  See the photo in the Express article.

Here in the UK the Express is well known for exaggerating stories so I would take what they report with a massive pinch of salt.

Could and should Cunard seek a retraction from the Daily Express for misleading the public?  Shoddy journalism at the very least. I'm in a number of travel groups on Facebook and have spent the last couple of hours explaining that the QM2 is not another Diamond Princess debacle. Couldn't sit back and read some of the very rude comments about people who are choosing to cruise at the moment. Meanwhile these same people are quite happy to fly to New York for a holiday !!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Could and should Cunard seek a retraction from the Daily Express for misleading the public?  Shoddy journalism at the very least. I'm in a number of travel groups on Facebook and have spent the last couple of hours explaining that the QM2 is not another Diamond Princess debacle. Couldn't sit back and read some of the very rude comments about people who are choosing to cruise at the moment. Meanwhile these same people are quite happy to fly to New York for a holiday !!!

'Reportedly', 'allegedly' and 'apparently'! Not exactly factual reporting. 🙂

Naw, treat it with the contempt it deserves! The facts will out.

I am writing this in the Library of QM2 looking out at Miss Liberty. Did not her about the folks who tested positive and had to disembark. I just read it here. Really sorry for them. 

The onboard tests went reasonably smoothly; most pax are off on the many tours of the City offered by Cunard,. the ship is almost empty. I was tempted to go ashore - but as I live in Manhattan, and given the 'flash fire’ of Omicron, I decided to stay put. My test was negative 😌; the results were sent on very official Carnival Corp. stationary.

My cabin stewards are very good ( they are in teams now) and there is much maintenance underway. The aft pools have been drained , there is scraping and painting and hammering all over the ship. I’m sure it would have happened earlier but the weather during our crossing absolutely ruled it out. 

Our Captain is very understated and at Noon just gives us the facts-just the facts; the times do demand a sober demeanor.

The jazz is still good in the Chart Room after dinner and the lads and lassies are still in good form the the Commodore Club-not being able to sit at the bars does dampen things a bit. Laughter and camaraderie at bars contribute to the good feeling in a room. Ah well, this too will pass; remembering what the Bible says-‘and it came to pass’ it didn’t come to stay! 

• Like 6

Great to hear from you @canoncruiser and I'm very glad that the onboard experience hasn't been nearly as dramatic as some of the early morning reports suggested.

It must be very disappointing to be one of the 10 who have had to disembark.

Thanks again for posting and enjoy the rest of your trip.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Here in the UK the Express is well known for exaggerating stories so I would take what they report with a massive pinch of salt.

If you think it all through, it is in Cunards interest to set their PR machine in motion so I wouldn't necessarily accept either account. Probably the truth will lie (no pun) somewhere between the numbers quoted.

2 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

I am writing this in the Library of QM2 looking out at Miss Liberty. Did not her about the folks who tested positive and had to disembark. I just read it here. Really sorry for them. 

The onboard tests went reasonably smoothly; most pax are off on the many tours of the City offered by Cunard,. the ship is almost empty. I was tempted to go ashore - but as I live in Manhattan, and given the 'flash fire’ of Omicron, I decided to stay put. My test was negative 😌; the results were sent on very official Carnival Corp. stationary.

My cabin stewards are very good ( they are in teams now) and there is much maintenance underway. The aft pools have been drained , there is scraping and painting and hammering all over the ship. I’m sure it would have happened earlier but the weather during our crossing absolutely ruled it out. 

Our Captain is very understated and at Noon just gives us the facts-just the facts; the times do demand a sober demeanor.

The jazz is still good in the Chart Room after dinner and the lads and lassies are still in good form the the Commodore Club-not being able to sit at the bars does dampen things a bit. Laughter and camaraderie at bars contribute to the good feeling in a room. Ah well, this too will pass; remembering what the Bible says-‘and it came to pass’ it didn’t come to stay! 

Do you know if they have done any contact tracing on board? For example, on P&O ( also under the Carnival brand) positive passengers table mates that been identified as close contacts and have been placed in the quarantine cabins, for the rest of the cruise ( these are 14 day cruises that I’m talking about)

Just wondering if that has happened on QM2 

Cunard reports 10 passengers as having Covid while SKY News and The Express in England are saying that 60 souls onboard the QM2 have Covid. Certainly an interesting slant on all parts. Am I right to gather that 10 passengers and 50 crew are infected with this pernicious virus? Also could this be a statement on the efficacy of the one shot J&J vaccine which the majority of ships' crews have received as opposed to the more robust Moderna and Pfeizer vaccines?

• Like 1