Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

Shoody press reports are a common thing these days- some papers more some less. Quite often it is- as the bard wrote- " Much ado about nothing" ( or not much anyway) ! In these times traveling, cruising is always at risk of beeing disrupted or changed due to Covid- i fear we have to live with that for quite a time. It´s one´s own decision staying home or living ones live as normal as possibile, with all the possibly precautions as tests- booster shots ... !

• Like 1

I had family on this crossing, we were to be on it, but a new addition to the our family has meant we couldn't travel with them. I happily picked them up yesterday from Brooklyn (all negative ).They were given options of getting off on the 20th, 21st or 22nd. 

The port was eerily quiet, as it wasn't a true disembarkation day , they were the only ones I saw getting off with luggage. We belive apprx 300/people were disembarking over the 3 days in port.

they had covid testing before boarding the ship, the day of arrival, the day prior to arriving in NYC and again today. All negative.

They believe they saw a few rooms / a corridor marked with red to avoid. Mixed reports on how well behaved passengers were with mask wearing, majority good , but as is always the case some bozos who just can't wear a mask properly.

Overrall feedback on trip was very disappointing,  I think a culmination of the weather, and maybe rustiness of ships operations  just led to a slightly poor trip - notable issues include: state of ship, food, communication, organization, customer service from pursers desk.  All are seasoned cruisers , with 2 of them very experienced Cunarders. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the “press” is unreliable - sensation sells.  Still, even if it were only ten — they are not having as great a time as they thought they purchased.  Yes, it is a small percentage of the 1400 on board. -but still:  I have enough other options.

There's clearly spin happening both ways on this including from RC who clearly want to try and play down the impact it's had on.passengers 

10 positive cases actually leads to lots of close contacts (certainly not just cabin mates) and lots more on board having to quarantine and self isolate somewhere for 10 days who may or may not become positive in due course

You simply don't get 10 positive cases without significant quarantine impact and self isolation for lots more on board

60 people having to self isolate as a result of 10 positive cases for example would seem reasonable

Basically anybody they've shared a cabin, transfer or sit down meal with would easily lead to those numbers in quarantine cabins and having to.offload 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

I see this thread has brought lots of new posters to the Cunard board so welcome but please note our guidelines are in effect so please don't post copyright material or anything else which contravenes those guidelines.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry to hear about the passengers quarantining in the Holiday Inn .. if that was accurate journalism. 

I wonder if all the Crew are now vaccinated.  Someone please correct me if I’m out of date on this.
We know crew are systematically tested, but incubation! They will need to be boosted too as they are so vulnerable with different passengers embarking.  
Vaccination is not foolproof, but a big help. 

Not too surprised to hear this. I was on the 12 day Canaries cruise disembarking on December 13th in Southampton. After returning home I got a warning on my German Covid-Warn-App for the last seaday. Now this may possibly be some sort of bug in the app (especially as most passengers were British and there app isn't integrated with the German/EU one as far as I know), but if not it would mean that there was/were positive passengers on that cruise as well (looks like they didn't test positive until after leaving the ship though if this is indeed the case). Still, considering the rapid rise of Omikron over the last couple of weeks I am not surprised that there would be cases on a (or most) current cruise.

This morning when I opened my email, I found one from Cunard suddenly asking me to sign "as soon as possible" an  ACKNOWLEDGEMENT & ACCEPTANCE OF RISKS FOR COVID-19 form for my Jan. 3rd TA on QM2.  Looks like the lawyers are getting nervous.

6 minutes ago, comcox said:

This morning when I opened my email, I found one from Cunard suddenly asking me to sign "as soon as possible" an  ACKNOWLEDGEMENT & ACCEPTANCE OF RISKS FOR COVID-19 form for my Jan. 3rd TA on QM2.  Looks like the lawyers are getting nervous.

Is it to do with quarantine risks and costs for passengers AND close contacts?

As I don't believe close contacts will be insured for the costs etc?

31 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is it to do with quarantine risks and costs for passengers AND close contacts?

As I don't believe close contacts will be insured for the costs etc?

As far as I can tell only US passengers are being asked to sign this. I am not sure what insurers in the US are covering but in the UK insurers are not covering close conacts who are sent to a quarantine hotel although P&O and hopefully Cunard/Carnival will not let people in that situation be out of pocket.

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

As far as I can tell only US passengers are being asked to sign this. I am not sure what insurers in the US are covering but in the UK insurers are not covering close conacts who are sent to a quarantine hotel although P&O and hopefully Cunard/Carnival will not let people in that situation be out of pocket.

My U.S. travel insurance will only cover quarantine if I test postive (as certified by a doctor) or my travel partner does (but I'm traveling solo on this one).  It will not cover me if cruise line determines I've been in close contact.  I'm not sure how Cunard is doing that as I don't think they use the wrist monitors that other cruise lines are doing.

8 minutes ago, comcox said:

That sure does not look like a great inducement — of course Cunard needs to protect itself against contingencies — so people determined to cruise need to accept the risks:  which I think will increase as the current Omicron surges continues to grow over the next few weeks.

I am glad I enjoy being at home around now.

3 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

Not too surprised to hear this. I was on the 12 day Canaries cruise disembarking on December 13th in Southampton. After returning home I got a warning on my German Covid-Warn-App for the last seaday. Now this may possibly be some sort of bug in the app (especially as most passengers were British and there app isn't integrated with the German/EU one as far as I know), but if not it would mean that there was/were positive passengers on that cruise as well (looks like they didn't test positive until after leaving the ship though if this is indeed the case). Still, considering the rapid rise of Omikron over the last couple of weeks I am not surprised that there would be cases on a (or most) current cruise.

Since 1 November 2021 it is supposed to be https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/eu-gateway/.

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If someone isn't happy to sign that form do you think they will be able to get a refund and not cruise?

Interesting question.  I'm due to depart Jan. 3rd so paid in full at this point.

1 minute ago, kohl1957 said:

I was sent these forms about two weeks ago... and signed them. Standard U.S. "you can't sue us" stuff which is just an invitation for lawyers here to do so.  No big deal.

Odd, though, my British wife (in the UK) was not sent similar. So Cunard knows Americans... get sick on a cruise, call a lawyer... then the doctor. 

Surely they have a duty to make everybody aware of the risks? 

It shouldn't be just about protecting themselves but making sure their passengers know where they stand