Masks again in Spain

Bin man

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When we went Spain, Portugal and Canary Islands in November it was still mandatory to wear masks indoors in shops, restaurants, bars etc even though it wasnt  in the UK but many I presume locals wore masks outside as well.

We were in Spain in October and had to wear masks indoors when walking/standing and outdoors only when you couldn't socially distance. Not a problem, the young kids didn't even need reminding. Wearing a mask on the sunbed would lead to an interesting tan.

• Like 2

I have a cruise to the Canaries for next April on Oceania, I was going to ask about this. So while walking down the street or out hiking, or at a beach in Spanish ports or Canary Island ports, are people required to have masks on?

With the volcanic activity still going in the Canaries, are P&O cruises still going there? I am concerned that Oceania is going to drop one or all 3 of my ports from the inter and use the volcano as the reason.

17 hours ago, susiesan said:

I have a cruise to the Canaries for next April on Oceania, I was going to ask about this. So while walking down the street or out hiking, or at a beach in Spanish ports or Canary Island ports, are people required to have masks on?

With the volcanic activity still going in the Canaries, are P&O cruises still going there? I am concerned that Oceania is going to drop one or all 3 of my ports from the inter and use the volcano as the reason.

P&O have been avoiding the island concerned, La Palma but all others are being visited as planned.

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Bit crazy to have to wear a mask outside.  Hey ho.

Not if you are out in a busy area. If Omicron is as transmissible as reported then mask wearing will reduce significantly the risk of catching it.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, Bin man said:

See you have to wear marks again outdoors in Spain even on the beach .Do you have to wear them while walking the decks while docked in port then ? 

No, I believe once on board you are under the P&O protocols.

My itinerary is supposed to stop at Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Arrecife, and Las Plamas de Gran Canaria. Are P&O ships going to these ports? if not, what is the substitute? At this point, 3 months out, oceania is not saying anything about altering the itinerary. My reason for choosing my cruise was to visit the canaries and if O decides not to go there then I will be cancelling.

58 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My itinerary is supposed to stop at Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Arrecife, and Las Plamas de Gran Canaria. Are P&O ships going to these ports? if not, what is the substitute? At this point, 3 months out, oceania is not saying anything about altering the itinerary. My reason for choosing my cruise was to visit the canaries and if O decides not to go there then I will be cancelling.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is the main port on Grand Canary Island. La Palma is an entirely  different island.

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

When we went Spain, Portugal and Canary Islands in November it was still mandatory to wear masks indoors in shops, restaurants, bars etc even though it wasnt  in the UK but many I presume locals wore masks outside as well.

It was mandatory in most of the U.K., just not in England.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

It was mandatory in most of the U.K., just not in England.

Never said any different but when we went on our holiday masks were not mandatory in shops in England or Scotland or anywhere in UK.

Edited by majortom10

44 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never said any different but when we went on our holiday masks were not mandatory in shops in England or Scotland or anywhere in UK.

They’ve been mandatory in shops in Wales for months, certainly when you went on holiday in November. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

The only reason they wouldn’t call at these ports is if Spain stopped cruise ships docking, the volcano is on La Palma, none of the ports you list are on that island. The eruption has now begun to subside, by April, it hasn’t affected the other islands to any great extent, occasional ash fall if wind blowing the right direction. 

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

You do realise that the Canaries are a group of islands  don't you?

And you are on totally  the wrong board. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

You do realise that the Canaries are a group of islands  don't you?

And you are on totally  the wrong board. 

Yes, I know the Canaries are a group of islands, part of Spain. Because P&O has the only ships going there now I can't ask about the ports and conditions for my Oceania cruise. It isn't until  April 4, and before I make final payment I want to know about the conditions there now. There is zero information about the Canary Islands coming from Oceania or the O boards here on cruise critic. O only does 1 or 2 itineraries a year that take in the Canary Islands.

Been back a week now from a fly cruise around the Canaries with Azamara.  The weather was great, about 20C and we were able to visit all the ports including Maderia independently, although I believe under the new Spanish rules you now have to wear a mask outside.  We were able to visit the island of La Palma, the sun shone and the sky was clear, no impact from the volcano which I believe is on the opposite side of the island to the port.  There is not alot to do in the port, you will have seen it in an hour, so it is possibly worth taking a tour there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, susiesan said:

Yes, I know the Canaries are a group of islands, part of Spain. Because P&O has the only ships going there now I can't ask about the ports and conditions for my Oceania cruise. It isn't until  April 4, and before I make final payment I want to know about the conditions there now. There is zero information about the Canary Islands coming from Oceania or the O boards here on cruise critic. O only does 1 or 2 itineraries a year that take in the Canary Islands.

According to a report on the BBC, the volcanic eruption on the island of La Palma has now stopped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59791541

Brian

Edited by BrianI

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

According to a report on the BBC, the volcanic eruption on the island of La Palma has now stopped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59791541

Brian

Excellent. Hoping it stays stopped. As long P&O cruise ships coming from the UK are  visiting the Canary Islands, this is an indicator of Oceania going there in April.

Edited by susiesan

20 hours ago, susiesan said:

Because P&O has the only ships going there now

You do know  that many other cruise lines are currently going to the Canaries,  other than P&O,  don't you ? 

Tenerife alone has 10 or so cruise ships from different lines docking in the next 3 weeks.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

You do know  that many other cruise lines are currently going to the Canaries,  other than P&O,  don't you ? 

Tenerife alone has 10 or so cruise ships from different lines docking in the next 3 weeks.

No, I did not know any lines other than P&O were currently sailing to the Canaries at this time of year. Which other ships go there in the winter?

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

No, I did not know any lines other than P&O were currently sailing to the Canaries at this time of year. Which other ships go there in the winter?

Most european lines, Costa, Aida, Mein Schiff, TUI and probably Fred Olsen and Saga.

If you look ar something like Marine Traffic you will be able to see just how many ships are there at any one time.

• Like 3