Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

28 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

It's funny to think that we would be ready to "go dry" after 90 days on the ship.  From what I have seen on board, not too many are ready yet :)!

I’ll bet Viking will come up with lots of creative mocktails while in Saudi Arabia!

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:

I agree with your comment about broadening horizons through travel, but...oppression is oppression.

We still have no excursion information, so we have no idea what we may have the opportunity to do/see.  We're hoping that comes out soon as we arrive in Jeddah in five days.

Curious what you are learning from the Sky passengers as they are on a 10-day Med cruise - we ran into them in Katakolon.

Sorry, meant the Star not the Sky.

I am not sure the citizens of Saudi Arabia themselves would call their restrictions oppressive ; certainly they can be seen as repressive to the western eye.  As you said, if you are not comfortable with being there the first day ,you can always stay on board.  I imagine though that once you get off and start exploring you will find the experience not as bad as you thought it would be. 🙂

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

It's funny to think that we would be ready to "go dry" after 90 days on the ship.  From what I have seen on board, not too many are ready yet :)!

I probably wouldn’t be either 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I wonder if all those little bottles of alcohol and cans of beer will be removed from the staterooms.

No.  In fact, they provided the opportunity to order more so if you want, you can enjoy a drink in your room in private.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 91/152 - Chania (Souda Bay), Crete, Greece - A missed opportunity, but the Viking beverage team hit a home run!

It’s stories like this that make me hope we can stick with Viking. No question, their staff are just wonderful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, millybess said:

What a fun story Garry. Kudos to Viking once again!  👍

I drink my gin martini's with a few drops of orange bitters.  On our first Viking Ocean cruise when I ordered a martini, I was told that they don't have any orange bitters.   The next evening, when I arrived at the Explorers Lounge, I was ask if I wanted a martini with orange bitters - they had picked some up while we were in port that day.   It is funny since then I have never been on a Viking ship that didn't have orange bitters in the Explorers Lounge.  Viking's customer service has always amazed me!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

No.  In fact, they provided the opportunity to order more so if you want, you can enjoy a drink in your room in private.

Well that is interesting.  One can consume in private but Viking cannot serve or sell.

• Like 1

It is amazing how much they go out of the way to make sure we are happy.  I posted in my blog my disappointment that they were serving whipped cream rather than clotted cream at tea.  The next day one of the waiters, Ricky stopped me as we passed each other and told me to ask him for clotted cream next time we attended tea.  Apparently they had a limited quantity available in Asia and kept it only for people who asked for it.  

and a day or two later before I could even ask…

3D0D3788-008C-4E68-AAEC-D60BD97BEBA7.jpeg

• Like 5

Viking really has done well.  Letting you have private stock for your room while in SA and vanilla infused Vodka!  Great to hear.  I’m more impressed all the time.  This has been a tough WC in a lot of ways but Viking continues to come through for you to make it as good as possible.  That’s what service is all about.

Since this was not a planned stop you got the short straw for a tour guide.  Glad you could do some touring on your though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimeOfOurLife said:

Thank you for the tour of the therapy spa.   When you have a chance, would you please do the same with the gym.

Then, I would have to go to the gym...

I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We are on the Silversea WC and are docked in Yanbu today. The local LPG plant was hit by a Houthi missile on Monday, but we are still here. Yesterday we were in Jeddah, leaving late because of immigration foul ups and saw the enormous smoke plume caused by a Houthi missile hitting Aramco plant, about 5 miles from where we were docked. Completely scary, we could see it burning for hours as we sailed north. And by the way Silversea is not only is not serving alcohol but removed everything from the suites! 3 dry days. Good luck with your stops.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We are on the Silversea WC and are docked in Yanbu today. The local LPG plant was hit by a Houthi missile on Monday, but we are still here. Yesterday we were in Jeddah, leaving late because of immigration foul ups and saw the enormous smoke plume caused by a Houthi missile hitting Aramco plant, about 5 miles from where we were docked. Completely scary, we could see it burning for hours as we sailed north. And by the way Silversea is not only is not serving alcohol but removed everything from the suites! 3 dry days. Good luck with your stops.

In addition to any cruise ship in port, they are also trying to disrupt the Saudi Grand Prix, which is tomorrow.

Right on Andy.  When the inevitable not so good tour happened on our WCs Viking, in every case, refunded the charges.  One was a very poor helicopter tour in Rio so not cheap.  But then I guess any helicopter tour is good as long as it lands safely......

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 91/152 - Chania (Souda Bay), Crete, Greece - A missed opportunity, but the Viking beverage team hit a home run!

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/03/world-cruise-day-91152-chania-souda-bay.html

Thanks for all the photos.  You managed to capture the exact same leather store where I admired the Leather brief case, hanging from above. I should have bought it!  Well, I'll just have to go back. We really enjoyed our visit to Chania.  You have brought back a pleasant memory.  Sorry you did not get to go into the Agora (central market).