Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

Late last night, as we learned this morning, all of our Valparaiso tours were canceled with  the only option offered a panoramic bus tour where no one was permitted to leave the bus.  (It was awful and we all deserve refunds for it). I have been told by the ship’s Hotel Manager that the local authorities made this decision because the infection rate in Valparaiso is rising. This of course is completely irrational as, all of us have proof that we tested negative just a few hours before leaving the ship. 

Here is what is so troubling about this.  Viking is in port.  Our panorama bus local tour guide this morning told us she did not understand the decision because the Viking people were out and about in town last night eating and drinking in local restaurants. Plus, on our tour today,, we saw people reboarding a stopped Viking bus in town.  Viking’s tours seemed to be operating normally. 

This may be a decision made by a power drunk, petty bureaucrat, and as Viking is out and about, I don’t think Silversea did enough to advocate for its customers in appealing and escalating this decision. They  put a lot of ships through here and spend a lot of money and need to be more more forceful in advocating for us. We have several more stops in Chile and if the same thing applies this cruise will have been a complete disaster. 

I have emailed senior management (COO,CEO) and suggested they speak with someone senior in Chile and find out why Viking could do what ss could not. We are owed an explanation for this.

40 minutes ago, odysseus1 said:

Late last night, as we learned this morning, all of our Valparaiso tours were canceled with  the only option offered a panoramic bus tour where no one was permitted to leave the bus.  (It was awful and we all deserve refunds for it). I have been told by the ship’s Hotel Manager that the local authorities made this decision because the infection rate in Valparaiso is rising. This of course is completely irrational as, all of us have proof that we tested negative just a few hours before leaving the ship. 

Here is what is so troubling about this.  Viking is in port.  Our panorama bus local tour guide this morning told us she did not understand the decision because the Viking people were out and about in town last night eating and drinking in local restaurants. Plus, on our tour today,, we saw people reboarding a stopped Viking bus in town.  Viking’s tours seemed to be operating normally. 

This may be a decision made by a power drunk, petty bureaucrat, and as Viking is out and about, I don’t think Silversea did enough to advocate for its customers in appealing and escalating this decision. They  put a lot of ships through here and spend a lot of money and need to be more more forceful in advocating for us. We have several more stops in Chile and if the same thing applies this cruise will have been a complete disaster. 

I have emailed senior management (COO,CEO) and suggested they speak with someone senior in Chile and find out why Viking could do what ss could not. We are owed an explanation for this.

It could be Viking's testing regime, they have a proper PCR lab onboard and do daily PCR spit tests for every guest. SS would have to had declare cases on their ships (the same restriction was applied to the Whisper a day ago).

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It could be Viking's testing regime, they have a proper PCR lab onboard and do daily PCR spit tests for every guest. SS would have to had declare cases on their ships (the same restriction was applied to the Whisper a day ago).

I wasn't aware the guests on Viking Jupiter were allowed to DIY tour and you most certainly are correct regarding the daily PCR on Viking which I think is head and shoulders above all cruise lines. I wont stop infections but certainly makes it easier to contain.

I believe when the Moon arrived it had 5 guests and 3 crew testing positive. Its possible there is a threshold. 4 of those guests were being released but too late to be allowed home. (They were all due to flow home the same date as us from Guayaquil.) Strangely as mentioned previously I had contact with all of the guests who were quarantined, but fortunately didn't test positive myself.

Overall, with that in mind, I actually dont think they did a bad job with controlling it. It could have been a lot worse - especially as the 2 ladies gave themselves up. (They could have wiped the ship out - and spells out the importance of testing.) The decision taken by RCL to cancel the mid cruise antigen was a bad one IMHO.

Anyway - 22.5 hours after leaving the Moon, we finally got home in what turned out to be a doddle and uneventful journey. Thank heavens!

To everyone onboard now, enjoy the ship. You have my sympathies regarding port instructions. I'm not entirely convinced this decision was Chile's and could well be an attempt by SS to stop contact and internal controls. Seems strange this is 2 stops in a row in 2 different countries that have decided to do this.

As Vinnie Jones once said.... "It's been emotional".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for posting your experiences and candid opinions while on the Silver Moon. We were originally booked on the Lima to BA leg, January 19 but cancelled in December. Looks like it was the right decision. Very glad you and your wife are home safely with memories of an “unforgettable” trip. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

22.5 hours after leaving the Moon, we finally got home in what turned out to be a doddle and uneventful journey. Thank heavens!

To everyone onboard now, enjoy the ship. You have my sympathies regarding port instructions. I'm not entirely convinced this decision was Chile's and could well be an attempt by SS to stop contact and internal controls. Seems strange this is 2 stops in a row in 2 different countries that have decided to do this.

Great news that you are home safely and very much appreciate these details and follow-up about the ports being scrubbed/modified.  Interesting background as to how Viking is set-up and handling these issues, doing testing, etc.  For us where the ports are the top priority, just "riding around on a bus" would be a major disappointment.   Excellent sharing.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,347 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will take me a while to process the panama transit videos I captured with the 3 DJI Action Cams (So much work to catch up on!)....... But I have just had a quick peak and have to admit what I've seen does look very good. I will probably create a few different versions to upload - including the full unedited transit - all 9 hours of it in 4K. Not sure I'd sit and watch it all the way through again mind at normal speed, but will give it a go. The camera I installed on the starboard side, captures the lock engine movements pretty well. 

Will post links as soon as completed

• Like 3

5 hours ago, les37b said:

Here is a 2 minute short of the 10 hour Panama transit on 10 Jan 2022

Great video and amusing as well.  (Those three sailboats sure seemed interested in getting the "heck out of Dodge" before the Silver Moon ran them down! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Silver Moon and guests on board.

Montevideo was a great port to visit and they were able to roam freely. I think they had to have a PCR (but not 100% certain.)

She is sailing to Bridgetown currently with just 60 guests which is believed to swell to an enormous 90 for the 4th and final leg.

Left behind was the HD, replaced by Marious who is doing a grand job arranging special themed events for the 60 guests. I expect that's one way to ensure guest can actually find each other in the evening. I know many nights with 220 on, dolce vita was empty bar us or maybe another couple or so. La Dame, there was only one couple. It takes away the enjoyment, not to mention soul destroying for the crew.

The news is, no COVID on board, which is not surprising given the number of sea days. They've been told the Caribbean is open to them but may need PCRs. Each island probably has its own criteria, though the point being made..... They can finally get off and explore.

I've been back home 3 weeks now..... But wished I was back onboard!

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, seaver said:

Les, Thank you very much for the update, we are 2 of the 30 guests to join in Barbados.

You would think they would upgrade us from the 5th deck lol.

Hopefully the ship can stay Covid free.

They did upgrade us.... But only because  they wanted to clear deck 5 for crew arrivals to isolate. You may get lucky I guess.

27 minutes ago, les37b said:

They did upgrade us.... But only because  they wanted to clear deck 5 for crew arrivals to isolate. You may get lucky I guess.

Hope so! Do you know if all the restaurants open?

OK.... Got a reply.

"Does everything stay open?"

Yes unless there is a special dinner like tonight, only Atlantide and pizza place open.

They are like ghost towns: four in La Terrazza and Atlantide last night, 10 in La Dame, SALT I didn’t count but perhaps 20. Same applies to the bars. Restaurants requiring bookings close only because there are no bookings. 

Shows have been cancelled when no guests arrive.

Say hi to Brian and Mary when you get on.. .. I'm sure you will meet! They were both close call victims from Triv too. They are still playing. There are only 2 teams playing now... Makes it easy to rack up the points for finishing first or second! 

Brian was in Panarama Lounge when we hit the whale. You can ask him how scary was it! He actually guessed it was fishing nets (like the captain also had.) Never in a million years would we have guessed what caused the ship to violently vibrate for such a long time.

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, les37b said:

They are like ghost towns: four in La Terrazza and Atlantide last night, 10 in La Dame, SALT I didn’t count but perhaps 20. Same applies to the bars. Restaurants requiring bookings close only because there are no bookings. 

Shows have been cancelled when no guests arrive.

That's not a cruise experience that I would enjoy.  Service ought to be almost suffocating.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's not a cruise experience that I would enjoy.  Service ought to be almost suffocating.  

When I was there and the guest count was 220, I made a comment to my wife that it reminded me of my first visit to Bali. I was on the beach in Kuta and every few minutes you would be asked "you want cold drink?" Which received the same no thank you response and reply "later?" And my reply, yes later. When I eventually said yes and bought a cold drink on the 30th aprroach, I was the accosted by 10 kids back to complain "you promised me". Fortunately the last part didn't happen on Silver Moon, but I can imagine the same processes applying. That's not meant in a patronising or negative way - but it does answer sincerely your thoughts on the service levels from the crew anxious to please and not enough guests to serve.  We disembarked leaving the most we've ever left in tips and crew fund contribution on any cruise we've been on. It made their efforts more noticeable and our appreciation heightened. These guys need and deserve our support.

• Like 1