Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

Well a journey that started life 3 1/2 years ago after several iterations and absolutely being convinced just 3 months was never going to happen, has finally (for me), got under way.

Leaving home this morning at 5 for an hour's drive to Heathrow for a 9.40 flight. I never like to get stressed about flights departing and always give myself enough time. That was the plan!

After dropping off the car, the bus went to other terminals before T5 and the 10m journey ended up as 30 mins. Still plenty of time.

Luckily the 777 flight had about 60 spare seats and the queue to check-in luggage wasn't to big. Split between verifly and not, we joined the "speedy verify queue". It certainly wasn't speedy. To be fair, when we got to the desk, it was very good and quick. Flash the app, show passports, weigh cases and bang off we went. Ah... I remember those days when that process really was that simple and quick 

Security next. As expected my carry on got pulled and all the cables, cameras and lithium batteries rummaged.... I'm ok with that. Safety comes first, but with so many bits and bobs easy to be lost, needing to be repacked, it's a pain..... But a breeze compared to my return from FLL.

Obviously just the usual process for flying now ... But the added Covid tests, forms and thoughts of "have we done it all correctly"... Not to mention "will I get a positive" and come to an abrupt end!

To top it all, after the plane was loaded and sitting in my seat, my name was called. Somehow Verify or whatever, had failed to clear me and had to show my passport again. Phew, I though I was about to be asked to get off!

Anyway, I know the return to sailing and on the Silver Moon (which I've had 2 cancellations for to date) is all going to be worth the stress.

Flight about to take off, so getting the thread started.

All guests please feel free to join in and any questions that can be answered (not triv questions!) Please ask away....

• Like 11

Had our final test today. Negative, for both of us. Saw quite a few box lunches being delivered yesterday to the blocked off deck 6 area. My casual inquires were poo pooed off. About 340 pax on next. Still plenty of wine, Tiki too. Other supplies were running low but that should rectify now when they load up with what was missed last time.

Enjoy Les.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zqtchas said:

Had our final test today. Negative, for both of us. Saw quite a few box lunches being delivered yesterday to the blocked off deck 6 area. My casual inquires were poo pooed off. About 340 pax on next. Still plenty of wine, Tiki too. Other supplies were running low but that should rectify now when they load up with what was missed last time.

Enjoy Les.

Safe travels home Chas!

• Thanks 1

I walked down to the point (well near enough) to photograph Spirits arrival. Got there are found my camera battery not charged! Doh! Took photos of the moon from the hotel beach. Excuse image quality... This was from my phone ... Not sure if the canon will be spot on or not.... Cold to warm mist may have ruined.

I had replied last night to summarise the day, hotel and reply to comments, but once again the cruise critic gremlins struck and an hour's worth disappeared on send. It really is about time this is fixed. 

IMG_20220103_070655.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, les37b said:

I walked down to the point (well near enough) to photograph Spirits arrival. Got there are found my camera battery not charged! Doh! Took photos of the moon from the hotel beach. Excuse image quality... This was from my phone ... Not sure if the canon will be spot on or not.... Cold to warm mist may have ruined.

I had replied last night to summarise the day, hotel and reply to comments, but once again the cruise critic gremlins struck and an hour's worth disappeared on send. It really is about time this is fixed. 

IMG_20220103_070655.jpg

What time are you supposed to show up for testing and boarding?

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Yes, it's maddening! My last Spirit blog was a real pain to do. I had to remember to copy the post before submitting because at least 75% of the time, it wouldn't post when I hit submit.

Luckily the browser on my phone has a decent memory and would retain the text, so if I reopened CC and tried to reply again, the post would usually still be there. But not always - despite that I lost a few posts along the way and had to laboriously retype them from scratch.

Hope your boarding is smooth, and please enjoy the trip!

PS - with the paltry amount of traveling we've done lately, I often find the camera batteries uncharged as well! Luckily I have spares.

Edited by jpalbny

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, it's maddening! My last Spirit blog was a real pain to do. I had to remember to copy the post before submitting because at least 75% of the time, it wouldn't post when I hit submit.

Luckily the browser on my phone has a decent memory and would retain the text, so if I reopened CC and tried to reply again, the post would usually still be there. But not always - despite that I lost a few posts along the way and had to laboriously retype them from scratch.

Hope your boarding is smooth, and please enjoy the trip!

I discovered (with DH's techie help), that periodic 'cleansing' of our cruisecritic Safari cookies helps keep CC postable.  I used to have to clear it every couple weeks, now it is unfortunately every couple days

On my ipad: go to Settings, search for/select safari, scroll all the way down to the bottom on the right and select "advanced," theen "website data" , select cruisecritic.com, "edit" , then select the negative sign to delete.  Then relaunch CC and it is cleaned up.

Meanwhile, draft anything that is long in "notes", then cut and paste the note when you know cc is working and are ready to post .

It shouldn't be this hard, but the tech support budget on CC is limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Which hotel are you in Les?

It's the Marriott Harbour. I've been here with SS before and thought it ok. I've changed my mind!

We were told when the bags were brought in, and again when checking in, our bags would be taken to our room. We went out. Came back 4 hours later, no bags. Went down, they were sitting at the front door unattended. Anyone could have walked off with them. They said they would put a credit on our account to compensate. When I went to reception after breakfast, they hadn't. But instead we had a $251 bill for using a jet ski yesterday! Got it removed, but how bad is that it could happen. Our balcony is splattered with some sort of bloody looking mess so not usable. Not a hotel I would return to!

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

What time are you supposed to show up for testing and boarding?

2.45 we leave the hotel. 2nd group of 4.

Spirit has been put back for the second time. At the SS desk they were saying be in reception at 4.45. Obviously part of the CDC Covid thing I would think.

JP, yeh I agree. I'm just a bit miffed I didn't check before walking 30 mins down. I just assumed. The batteries last ages, but correct, not used in a while.

Catlover54...annoyingly I do usually copy the test so can past when this happens. For some reason, my android phone wouldn't let me do it and I did try before hitting send.

I know ME uses a word editor before posting, it's being happening for ages. It's the only forum I've ever encountered it.

I've attached a photo of our balcony. Yuk.

IMG_20220103_081801.thumb.jpg.d70aa861710f0117b5988510ef05a6fd.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers Les, we also have stayed there before and it’s been ok. Sounds like Covid staffing issues. Did you get baggage labels? Hope testing and boarding doesn’t get delayed too much. Sounds like it was a bit hectic with Covid cases in the last few days.

Edited by Silver Spectre