**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

1 hour ago, Cowbert said:

The only "rapid" test that my local clinic offers is the Rapid molecular (NAAT) test from Abbott ID.

Does anyone know if this Rapid NAAT test is acceptable to Carnival? 

Perhaps someone else can chime in, as stated we have used this test several times for both Carnival and MSC, using it again for our March 20th Carnival cruise, we do our testing at Walgreens. “NAAT” is what is required. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Perhaps someone else can chime in, as stated we have used this test several times for both Carnival and MSC, using it again for our March 20th Carnival cruise, we do our testing at Walgreens. “NAAT” is what is required. 

That's what I'm using for my cruise this Sunday so I really hope so!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cowbert said:

The only "rapid" test that my local clinic offers is the Rapid molecular (NAAT) test from Abbott ID.

Does anyone know if this Rapid NAAT test is acceptable to Carnival? I do not see that specifically stated in their testing Q&A.

The other test the clinic offers is the Standard PCR test which they suggest is suitable for travel requirements.

I would prefer a rapid test of course.  Thanks for any info.

Return to Service FAQs | Have Fun. Be Safe. | Carnival Cruise Line

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

My son, who is in his thirties, wants to join me on a June cruise but has not been vaccinated.  I got mine through the county when everyone was getting one. Things have calmed down and now I am trying to figure where to get one that has the "vaccinated card that Carnival is requesting. Walgreen's gives the shot but do ya'll know what proof of the test they give?

You need to bring proof of a negative Covid test from within 2-3 days of your cruise. They would email the test results and bring to the port on your cell phone. Son will need to get fully vaccinated or get an exemption from Carnival, much easier if fully vaccinated now and then just need negative test just before cruise, along with the white card for proof of vaccination.

They didn’t give you a card when you were vaccinated? Or, are you talking about the Covid test required before cruising? Very unlikely your Son would get a exemption, he would probably need to get a Covid vaccination.

36 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure your unvaccinated adult son can cruise with you unless he applies and has a qualifying reason to receive an exemption.   

Since you have until June before you cruise, there’s plenty of time for him to be vaccinated. I was in the same situation for our February Horizon cruise with a couple months to get my vaccination done. As long as he’s fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the cruise he’s fine.
I used CVS for my vaccination. Just go online and schedule your first and second dose. It’s really easy and user friendly. It also has text and email reminders for your scheduled visits. I liked that not only do they give you the vaccination card but they also send you an email with a link to their website with all of your vaccination info just in case you lose or misplace your vaccination card. So I can show my vaccination card or I can go online to their website and show the info there. They also have a barcode you can print out that has all of your vaccine info on it. They would be my number one choice for vaccinations. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure your unvaccinated adult son can cruise with you unless he applies and has a qualifying reason to receive an exemption.   

Oops! Sorry I accidentally quoted you instead of the OP in my reply to them. 

3 hours ago, noslen3333 said:

My son, who is in his thirties, wants to join me on a June cruise but has not been vaccinated.  I got mine through the county when everyone was getting one. Things have calmed down and now I am trying to figure where to get one that has the "vaccinated card that Carnival is requesting. Walgreen's gives the shot but do ya'll know what proof of the test they give?

Since you have until June before you cruise, there’s plenty of time for him to be vaccinated. I was in the same situation for our February Horizon cruise with a couple months to get my vaccination done. As long as he’s fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the cruise he’s fine.
I used CVS for my vaccination. Just go online and schedule your first and second dose. It’s really easy and user friendly. It also has text and email reminders for your scheduled visits. I liked that not only do they give you the vaccination card but they also send you an email with a link to their website with all of your vaccination info just in case you lose or misplace your vaccination card. So I can show my vaccination card or I can go online to their website and show the info there. They also have a barcode you can print out that has all of your vaccine info on it. They would be my number one choice for vaccinations. 

3 hours ago, noslen3333 said:

Are you asking about a vaccine card for you or your unvaccinated son? He won't be able to cruise. There are hundreds of threads on Walgreens testing and cards you  can read on here. 

We are getting the PCR/NAAT Covid  test 2 days before our sail date. We are fully vaccinated and wanted to do the Rapid Antigen test but our CVS only offers the PCR/NAAT which takes up to 2 days for results. Has anyone had recent experience with this type of testing?  I am a nervous Nelly who is a planner and likes to have everything taken care of in advance but these Covid guidelines make it a nerve wracking experience. Thanks in advance!

I too would be nervous about getting a PCR test back in time for sailing.  Are you “up-to-date,” meaning you have had both covid shots and a booster?  If so, it’s now acceptable to test 3 days prior to the cruise.  That would give you some breathing room.  Also, have you considered ordering the eMed proctored tests that you can do at home?  

• Like 1

We were not sure what was best so we began the quest for C19 tests a month ago We ordered telemed kits, booked early morning tests at our healthcare provider, and checked on what’s available at the port 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nwcruiselover said:

I too would be nervous about getting a PCR test back in time for sailing.  Are you “up-to-date,” meaning you have had both covid shots and a booster?  If so, it’s now acceptable to test 3 days prior to the cruise.  That would give you some breathing room.  Also, have you considered ordering the eMed proctored tests that you can do at home?  

We havnt had a booster....we are 13 days out from our cruise now. I think you have to have the booster more than 14 days out. I may order the proctered test like you suggested. Thanks so much!

Just now, G&J cruisers said:

We havnt had a booster....we are 13 days out from our cruise now. I think you have to have the booster more than 14 days out. I may order the proctered test like you suggested. Thanks so much!

I ordered proctored tests from Optum.com and they arrived in two business days.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Just now, G&J cruisers said:

We are driving from Ohio

Stop at the closest airport to port or on your way?  Orlando (MCO) had both Rapid tests for both appointments and walk in...20 minutes, $65.  Airports with international flights seem to have raid testing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ginabab said:

We were not sure what was best so we began the quest for C19 tests a month ago We ordered telemed kits, booked early morning tests at our healthcare provider, and checked on what’s available at the port 

I may need to order the telemed kits.... Thanks so much

31 minutes ago, G&J cruisers said:

We are getting the PCR/NAAT Covid  test 2 days before our sail date. We are fully vaccinated and wanted to do the Rapid Antigen test but our CVS only offers the PCR/NAAT which takes up to 2 days for results. Has anyone had recent experience with this type of testing?  I am a nervous Nelly who is a planner and likes to have everything taken care of in advance but these Covid guidelines make it a nerve wracking experience. Thanks in advance!

I highly recommend the E Med Telemed tests.  I order mine from the Optum store, and usually have them in 3-4 days.  The process to do the testing is fairly simple and you get your results in 15 minutes.  Download the Navica app to your phone before you log in for the test.  I would also have more than one kit per person...just in case something goes wrong.

I've used these for 2 separate cruises this year and it's so much easier than worrying your results won't be back in time for your sailing.

• Like 2