**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

On 1/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, PhotoMike said:

So I'm looking at purchasing some BinaxNow proctored tests from the link on Carnival's website. There

are 4 of us sailing over Spring Break (3rd week of March), 2 adults & 2 pre-teens. Do you folks recommend that I buy more than 4 tests? They offer a 2-pack or 3-pack. By buying a pair of 3-packs, I'm possibly going to be sitting on 2 unused test kits. I've read the stories about faulty kits with empty liquid bottles, etc. which concerns me. Is it good insurance to have those 2 extra kits on standby?

Be aware if you drop the card or something they will invalidate the test and make you open another one. Saw this happen to someone doing the test in a YouTube video. So it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one just in case. 

3 hours ago, grizzle-bizzle said:

Be aware if you drop the card or something they will invalidate the test and make you open another one. Saw this happen to someone doing the test in a YouTube video. So it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one just in case. 

I saw that same video..what a bummer! I did end up ordering the 6 pack from eMed, so we have 2 spares in case of any issues.

We are scheduled to sail on the Vista on March 26th, 8 of us, and all fully vaxed except for my 4 year-old twins. They have been approved for an exception, so now planning on how to go about their Covid test before sailing. From what I've read on the board and carnival's website, they will need a PCR test, correct?  Does the Walgreens IDNOW test count as PCR? My guess is that it does not.  Looks like I can get them tested 3 days before sailing. 

So, those that have had to get a PCR test done for travel/cruise, where can I get a PCR test back in time.  Any personal experiences on Walgreens, CVS, etc..?  I am hoping that the current spike in cases is over by the end of March (or at lease decreased), so the demand is less for testing. 

If it's available in your area, the Walgreens IDNOW24hour is great, we tested at 9:15 and got results by 11:30. We are Gulf Coast of Florida and can make appointments at Walgreens four days out. I do know for CVS in our area we can make appointments two weeks out however they do not offer the Rapid Test, only PCR, which we have actually done in past but became somewhat anxious when results took longer to receive.

Our cruise sails Feb 6, 2022. Last week, I tested positive for Covid (was symptomatic and now have completed quarantine). As such, according to the cdc, I will continue to test positive for up to 90 days regardless of the presence or absence of symptoms during that time. So, I looked online last week and according to the cdc, PEOPLE WHO HAVE RECOVERED FROM COVID-19 CAN CONTINUE TO TEST POSITIVE FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS AFTER THEIR INFECTION.  CDC DOES NOT RECOMMEND RETESTING WITHIN 3 MONTHS AFTER A PERSON WITH COVID-19 FIRST TESTED POSITIVE. 

• If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

So, I'm getting a letter from my doctor. However, just to be safe, I contacted my TA and asked if there was some specific form I would need from or for Carnival. We are now at 3 hours and 5 minutes on hold with Carnival, with the TA thinking I'm not going to be able to travel. I can't see why not if I have my letter and documentation of positive test (yes I'm vaccinated). Surely I can't be the first one to test positive within 90 days of departure, but I couldn't find a thread on here dealing with this. Have any of you fallen into this category and what did you do?

I just found this note on the cdc website via a direct link from a Carnival email.

DO NOT BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19, IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE COVID-19, IF YOU WERE EXPOSED TO A PERSON WITH COVID-19 IN THE PAST 14 DAYS (UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY VACCINATED OR RECOVERED FROM COVID-19 IN THE PAST 90 DAYS), OR YOU ARE WAITING FOR RESULTS OF A COVID-19 VIRAL TEST.  

Seems clear to me but you can't trust anybody any further than you can throw them nowadays, so I sure am interested in seeing some replies from others who have fallen into this situations.

Update. After 3hours and 35 minutes on hold with my TA who was holding for Carnival, she said someone from the resolutions department states I cannot cruise without a negative test, so now I had the ta transfer me and am personally waiting to speak with someone to make sure the situation is clear. 

1 hour ago, eyern1 said:

Update. After 3hours and 35 minutes on hold with my TA who was holding for Carnival, she said someone from the resolutions department states I cannot cruise without a negative test, so now I had the ta transfer me and am personally waiting to speak with someone to make sure the situation is clear. 

I also have had Covid this month and have recovered. You can test positive on a PCR test for up to 90 days but the antigen test should be negative. If you are vaxxed, you only need the antigen test. I have tested negative twice (antigen) since my positive PCR test 10 days ago.

Edited by charliesdad63
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eyern1 said:

You COULD test positive for UP TO 90 days with a PCR test. That does not mean everyone will. Just do a rapid Ag test now and you will know. That supposedly only tests for active infection which is the only way you can transmit. 

• Like 1

You could try the cheap OTC non-proctored antigen test to see if it will come out negative, which it likely will be within a couple weeks of exposure. It's also worth having the letter from the doc just in case since their FAQ does say they accept proof of infection and recovery within previous 90 days.

• Like 1

Guess I'll have to try and find a home antigen test to use next week to check, then hunt down an official testing place 2 days before we leave. I'm day 12 now but they hit me with an unplanned test 2 days ago, which was still positive. Yeah, I'm definitely carrying my doctor's letter regardless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Guess I'll have to try and find a home antigen test to use next week to check, then hunt down an official testing place 2 days before we leave. I'm day 12 now but they hit me with an unplanned test 2 days ago, which was still positive. Yeah, I'm definitely carrying my doctor's letter regardless.

It doesn't really matter what the CDC's recommendations are for travel after recovering from covid or what your doctor says. What matters is Carnival's policy, which is you need a negative covid test. The only question is do they ever make exceptions to that policy. I haven't heard of them dong that, but I guess it's not impossible.

Maybe try to get a Walgreens appointment 4 days before you want to test? As long as you try early in the morning that day there are plenty of time slots available in the places I'm familiar with. Their ID-NOW test is easy and quick at the drive thru, and you get results in an hour or so

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eyern1 said:

You should be able to schedule a CVS Minute Clinic antigen test for February 4 now (they open up scheduling 13 days in advance). Also, you can order a free at home test kit from the government if you can't find any in stores. 

17 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Maybe bite the bullet and pay for the emed Binax Now home test 6pack ($180 with shipping) approved Carnival antigen tests with proctored cell phone monitoring. That way can do it pre cruise without worries, maybe first doing a “non proctored” trial test for self assurance you are negative, then do the real proctored test two days before cruise of you tested negative on trial test. Peace of mind. Hope that makes sense. They usually arrive overnight or in 1-2 days by Fed ex according to website. 

Edited by Buffettfan 225
typo

17 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Thanks everyone. It just seems like Carnival would go with what the cdc says, ya know?

I agree. I am in the same situation. Sailing 2/6 out of Galveston. Positive on 1/15/22. Symptoms stopped on 1/18, but still testing positive on home antigen test 1/23. Guess I will wait until just before to test, but having a hard time finding tests that aren't PCR, and those can be positive for up to 90 days. Everything from CDC says not contagious, but dang it if this cancels our cruise i'm gonna be upset. May work on getting a doctor's note of recovery also.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, Safe77 said:

Haven't seen this addressed yet. Perhaps not the right forum. My wife and I, fully vaccinated, tested positive and come off quarantine tomorrow (1/16). We are scheduled to sail on 1/31. We are concerned that pre-cruise test results may come back positive, even though we will have been sufficiently recovered. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? if so, what was your outcome? Thanks in advance.

Please keep us posted. I am in a similar situation and want to see if you guys got to cruise!! I'm just off quarantine, scheduled to sail Feb 6.