Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

On 1/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, 1stCruiser said:

Any Canadians have experience with testing in Fort Lauderdale? We are flying in 3 days before cruise in February so will have to re-test prior to boarding. Can Canadians get a test at a pharmacy? Thanks for any help!

I have the same question. We live on Vancouver Island and next March and arrive 2 days before the cruise so will have to retest. I wonder what happens if you are unable to test when you arrive at the terminal. Does Princess have any testing facilities for testing at the terminal or do you just forfeit your cruise?

16 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

Does that mean I do not need a test before I leave the states?

Yes, no test needed.

But it would  probably be cheaper to have a test in the US first, and get a certificate,  as long as it is within three days of your cruise.  

But, just read the requirements on the Princess web page - it is all very clear. 

We got off Emerald Princess last Sunday and they tested on the ship that morning before we disembarked. To say it was a fiasco would be kind. Sounds like they learned their lesson even though many of us were begging for testing information much earlier. 

For those flying out of Heathrow they have testing stations set up outside terminal 3. Understood from others it took 30 minutes to get results.

Airline asked for test results along with passport before you could  check in and get boarding pass.

1 hour ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

We got off Emerald Princess last Sunday and they tested on the ship that morning before we disembarked. To say it was a fiasco would be kind. Sounds like they learned their lesson even though many of us were begging for testing information much earlier. 

For those flying out of Heathrow they have testing stations set up outside terminal 3. Understood from others it took 30 minutes to get results.

Airline asked for test results along with passport before you could  check in and get boarding pass.

Who are they? Princess or the express test service that is at lhr? If th express test service, Do you know if you need an advanced appointment to get tested or can you walk up.  I looked on line and it looks like you have to schedule and pay in advance.   I would like to have lhr testing as a backup plan, but don’t want to pay in advance.  Thanks.  

We haven’t cruised for a few years and are due to cruise on Sky Princess this June 2022 to Norway. Please can anyone advise whether they will allow passengers to go ashore independently rather than on an organised shore excursion - our son lives in Norway and we were hoping to meet up with him for the day whilst in Tromso. Thanks 😊 

Edited by Cinderzz

46 minutes ago, Cinderzz said:

We haven’t cruised for a few years and are due to cruise on Sky Princess this June 2022 to Norway. Please can anyone advise whether they will allow passengers to go ashore independently rather than on an organised shore excursion - our son lives in Norway and we were hoping to meet up with him for the day whilst in Tromso. Thanks 😊 

Yes, you can organise your own excursions. If your trip starts 11th June, look at Cruise Critic's Roll Call. You'll see that a number of cruisers have started a 'spread sheet'. The left and right arrows at the bottom of the sheet, take you to the various ports of call. Bit late in the day, you may find a lot of the private excursions are fully booked :- https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2767471-june-11th-2022-14-days-europe-north-cape-norway/page/21/ 

Thanks Bertie Doe , that’s good news, I will do the Roll Call and look at the spreadsheet 😊  I don’t think we will do much in the way of organised shore excursions as my husbands mobility can be a bit up and down so we were hoping just to visit any accessible towns or villages independently and of course meet our son. Thanks for the link 👍.

FYI- we tested with BinaxNow from our London hotel using their wifi. Mine went fairly smoothly, but DH had trouble with his account and was able to recreate a new one. Results were e mailed and our hotel also printed them out for us.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:58 PM, Big Tiger Fan said:

learned their lesson?...They know less now than 3 weeks ago. We were getting off the Emerald to fly back to the States on May 9. Most got a written negative test result delivered to the cabin the night before debarkation. I say most as about 100 did not and had to storm the castle walls the next morning. Then an amazing thing happened....our neighbors (wife in isolation for Covid....he not testing as they would be staying in London under quaranteen) called and said he just got delivered a negative test for himself AND wife. Interesting as neither had taken a test. He called and was told that there was a "glitch"....EVERYONE flying to the States had recieved a negative test result, no matter if they had covid or not! We took our negative results and ran the hell off that ship. 48 Princess cruises and 6th cruise on the Emerald....and we will never ever set foot on the ship again. I am certain if the Coast Guard inspected that ship it would be pulled from service.....non working life boats...no leadership..I will never trust it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spunks said:

learned their lesson?...They know less now than 3 weeks ago. We were getting off the Emerald to fly back to the States on May 9. Most got a written negative test result delivered to the cabin the night before debarkation. I say most as about 100 did not and had to storm the castle walls the next morning. Then an amazing thing happened....our neighbors (wife in isolation for Covid....he not testing as they would be staying in London under quaranteen) called and said he just got delivered a negative test for himself AND wife. Interesting as neither had taken a test. He called and was told that there was a "glitch"....EVERYONE flying to the States had recieved a negative test result, no matter if they had covid or not! We took our negative results and ran the hell off that ship. 48 Princess cruises and 6th cruise on the Emerald....and we will never ever set foot on the ship again. I am certain if the Coast Guard inspected that ship it would be pulled from service.....non working life boats...no leadership..I will never trust it.

Wow, I am glad they changed our cruise to Alaska last August, from the Emerald to the Majestic 😕

44 minutes ago, spunks said:

Well, that’s pretty scary!  Was it a good cruise, except the management or medical department?  
Wonder how much covid was brought back to the US. 

I am not just a disgruntled passenger spouting off....well I am damned disgruntled, but Princess has been our line of choice for over 22 years.

It was not a good cruise for us. We were not allowed to relax and enjoy for even one day. We boarded on the 16 of April and on the 25 I tested positive and went to quarantine for 7 days. I was told we would be put off the ship in Southampton....then 1 hour later told we could stay on the ship....then one day later told we would be put off....then 2 hours later told we would stay on....then on turn around morning I was told to get off...then 30 min later told to stay on. The constant push pull on the emotional level was taking its toll. Before this happened I had never taken a " bad" cruise...and we have been on 90 cruises.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spunks said:

I am not just a disgruntled passenger spouting off....well I am damned disgruntled, but Princess has been our line of choice for over 22 years.

It was not a good cruise for us. We were not allowed to relax and enjoy for even one day. We boarded on the 16 of April and on the 25 I tested positive and went to quarantine for 7 days. I was told we would be put off the ship in Southampton....then 1 hour later told we could stay on the ship....then one day later told we would be put off....then 2 hours later told we would stay on....then on turn around morning I was told to get off...then 30 min later told to stay on. The constant push pull on the emotional level was taking its toll. Before this happened I had never taken a " bad" cruise...and we have been on 90 cruises.

I’m so sorry you two had to go through all this.  Why is there so much uncertainty on how to handle covid cases and testing, etc?  I don’t get it.  Rules varying 

from ship to ship. 
I hope you’re home and feeling better.

OMG, spunks! You had a worse time than we did and I thought it was the worst. At least I tested negative on our April 2 cruise part of B2B and only had to quarantine for 24 hours. Then we did get home before DH started getting sick and tested positive.

Regarding cruise, my experience with medical staff was positive. They rate excellent with me. I really liked Dr. Tim and I had to see him twice. Very sorry others might not feel the same.

I’m posting our experience because I want others to know that Covid is on the ships. Allowing passengers to  not wear masks and adding more passengers the industry is creating a situation where Covid can spread. The order from our captain that masks would be required for the remainder of our cruise came too late.

We will be even more vigilant on our next cruise in July (since it is too late to get a full refund).

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, wowzz said:

Because the Greek government demand that testing is done within 24 hours of the cruise departing, which obviously is problematic for thise flying in from the US,  Canada etc. 

Anyone got the official Greek source for this requirement, other than the Princess website that says "The Greek government requires guests to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or Antigen) within 1 day of embarkation"?

Also - wondering - do guests on the ship for a 14 nighter that calls at Athens need testing prior to arrival there (so onboard) and/or if they go ashore for the day do they need to be tested to get back on to the ship?

2 minutes ago, STCKcruises said:

Anyone got the official Greek source for this requirement, other than the Princess website that says "The Greek government requires guests to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or Antigen) within 1 day of embarkation"?

Also - wondering - do guests on the ship for a 14 nighter that calls at Athens need testing prior to arrival there (so onboard) and/or if they go ashore for the day do they need to be tested to get back on to the ship?

Well, all I can say is that we are leaving the ship in Athens, and no testing is required.  You don't need a test to enter Greece either.

I do find the 24 hour rule slightly strange, but at least Princess are offering free tests at the pier.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, stevenr597 said:

We are sailing Seattle to Seattle with our only stop in Victoria.  The Princess Website says for fully vaccinated passengers (which includes a booster) it is three days before sailing, obtaining either an antigen or PCR. 

We will be flying out of Orlando on Friday, boarding on a Sunday, and intend to get the Antigen test through a local pharmacy on Thursday.  

Hope that they will let us on the ship!!!

Did you make it to the ship without problem at Seattle port?

On 5/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, nini said:

FYI- we tested with BinaxNow from our London hotel using their wifi. Mine went fairly smoothly, but DH had trouble with his account and was able to recreate a new one. Results were e mailed and our hotel also printed them out for us.

We had planned on using the BinaxNOW tests.  How did you know the website to use for proctored results?

3 hours ago, GloriaF said:

We had planned on using the BinaxNOW tests.  How did you know the website to use for proctored results?

Scan the code on the box. DH did it. The box is a good guide.

• Like 1