Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

All that worry for nothing. Now hoping disembarkation testing for Vancouver and flying to the US goes this well!

Buckeye, can you let us know what Princess position is in assisting with testing of if on board Emed testing doesn't work due to insufficient wifi connectivity? 

42 minutes ago, erber said:

Buckeye, can you let us know what Princess position is in assisting with testing of if on board Emed testing doesn't work due to insufficient wifi connectivity? 

Yes i will ask about it. 

So far wifi has been good.  A few challenges with the app itself yesterday but it seems to be better today. 

2 hours ago, mina said:

Looks like precruise testing options have changed for UK cruises on May 11. Says that port testing is only provided to those who have proof of testing two days prior and not getting the results.  Testing timeframe has also changed to three days not two.   With pcr required for people not fully vaccinated.

I am having a hard time interpreting their definition of fully vaccinated.   Our booster will be past the nine month timeframe when we sail,  so are we considered fully vaccinated?  Their wording is confusing.  It says:  A booster dose is required for guests twelve 12 years and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 9 months (270 days)

so what is the final dose?  Is the final dose our last booster or is it the original two shot series?  

I will use our example. We received the J&J in March 2021. It is "One and Done". This was more than 270 before our cruise of May 9th, so we had to get a booster, which we did- about two weeks before boarding. since we were now fully vaccinated according to their chart, we could test anytime from 3 days ahead of boarding.

6 hours ago, junglejane said:

Here's a news article from today about the possible end to US reentry testing. I'm just posting the link and am mindful of the forum rule stickied at the top about not engaging in opinion or debate, so I hope that's okay. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-05-13/airlines-press-u-s-to-lift-pre-departure-testing-requirements

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before the cruise lines drop testing for fully vaccinated passengers 🙂 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nini said:

I will use our example. We received the J&J in March 2021. It is "One and Done". This was more than 270 before our cruise of May 9th, so we had to get a booster, which we did- about two weeks before boarding. since we were now fully vaccinated according to their chart, we could test anytime from 3 days ahead of boarding.

Ty.  Appreciate the response. I understand how it works with recent boosters.  However, My booster will be over 270 days old when we sail.  What if the booster is over 9 months old?  The wording is not clear.  

Edited by mina

2 hours ago, mina said:

Looks like precruise testing options have changed for UK cruises on May 11. Says that port testing is only provided to those who have proof of testing two days prior and not getting the results.  Testing timeframe has also changed to three days not two.   With pcr required for people not fully vaccinated.

I am having a hard time interpreting their definition of fully vaccinated.   Our booster will be past the nine month timeframe when we sail,  so are we considered fully vaccinated?  Their wording is confusing.  It says:  A booster dose is required for guests twelve 12 years and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 9 months (270 days)

so what is the final dose?  Is the final dose our last booster or is it the original two shot series?  

This follows what the EU requires for traveling freely in 2022, in most countries.

The vaccination card is not valid if more than 270 days have past since the last vaccination.  So they would need a booster to make it valid.

Final dose refers to your original vaccination series.  So, that probably is more than 270 days.  You probably need a booster to get you up to date.  Maybe the 2nd booster before you’re travel date?  You don’t say when your cruise is scheduled.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

This follows what the EU requires for traveling freely in 2022, in most countries.

The vaccination card is not valid if more than 270 days have past since the last vaccination.  So they would need a booster to make it valid.

Final dose refers to your original vaccination series.  So, that probably is more than 270 days.  You probably need a booster to get you up to date.  Maybe the 2nd booster before you’re travel date?  You don’t say when your cruise is scheduled.

I agree,   I think we  will have to get the second booster before we go.   Our cruise is in early sept, so going to wait till mid august, but allow the two weeks prior as we are trying to hold out in case a new booster comes out that is better on omicron.

7 minutes ago, mina said:

Ty.  Appreciate the response. I understand how it works with recent boosters.  However, My booster will be over 270 days old when we sail.  What if the booster is over 9 months old?  The wording is not clear.  

Sorry, I assumed you were traveling in the EU?  You didn’t say ..  

12 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before the cruise lines drop testing for fully vaccinated passengers 🙂 

Maybe fully vaccinated and boosted?

Really depends on the foreign ports that the ship will stop too.  
Testing satisfies some of those port stops also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mina said:

I agree,   I think we  will have to get the second booster before we go.   Our cruise is in early sept, so going to wait till mid august, but allow the two weeks prior as we are trying to hold out in case a new booster comes out that is better on omicron.

Really smart!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mina said:

We are cruising from uk, but the wording in the new update appears to be the same as eu now.

It is different wording from US or from UK.  As long as we know what were doing, right?  😂 

Fully vaccinated from US:

For an individual to be considered fully vaccinated, at least 14 days must have passed after the administration of the last dose in their primary vaccine series. Some countries and regions also have a time limit for when the last dose was given or a booster requirement. The U.S. CDC recommends a booster five months after your mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series; other countries and regions allow for up to nine months or vary. Following the CDC guidance is sufficient to meet the requirements of most of the ports we visit.

Unquote

3 hours ago, mina said:

As long as you have had a booster you are fine. 

The final dose is the booster,  and there is no expiry  date on the booster jab.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It is different wording from US or from UK.  As long as we know what were doing, right?  😂 

Fully vaccinated from US:

For an individual to be considered fully vaccinated, at least 14 days must have passed after the administration of the last dose in their primary vaccine series. Some countries and regions also have a time limit for when the last dose was given or a booster requirement. The U.S. CDC recommends a booster five months after your mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series; other countries and regions allow for up to nine months or vary. Following the CDC guidance is sufficient to meet the requirements of most of the ports we visit.

Unquote

I was referring to the faq sections for Europe and for uk cruises, the wording now appears to be pretty much the same with the May 11 update to the uk section.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mina said:

There will not be a second booster within the next few months for the vast majority of the population.  And why should there be, as Covid cases  diminish and hospitalisation cases reduce ?

Just now, wowzz said:

There will not be a second booster within the next few months for the vast majority of the population.  And why should there be, as Covid cases  diminish and hospitalisation cases reduce ?

Thank you. In the USA second boosters are available now for anyone over 50.  We have made our decision to wait though. Waiting also let’s our cruise time fall more into the immunity period that some studies show lasts for about a month after the booster shot is given.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mina said:

Thank you. In the USA second boosters are available now for anyone over 50.  We have made our decision to wait though. Waiting also let’s our cruise time fall more into the immunity period that some studies show lasts for about a month after the booster shot is given.  

My apologies.  I didn't realise that a second booster was freely available in the US. That is not the case in Europe 

• Like 1

Wowzz, I hope you recognize that people are still getting Covid. Even if you are fully vaccinated and have boosters you are not immune. However, your symptoms most likely won’t be as severe as if you are unvaccinated which means decreasing hospitalizations. But you do become contagious and can spread it. 
I suspect the numbers of cases are decreasing because since so many use the home testing kits and are thus u reported.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Wowzz, I hope you recognize that people are still getting Covid. Even if you are fully vaccinated and have boosters you are not immune. However, your symptoms most likely won’t be as severe as if you are unvaccinated which means decreasing hospitalizations. But you do become contagious and can spread it. 
I suspect the numbers of cases are decreasing because since so many use the home testing kits and are thus u reported.

Indeed, but as so many people have now been vaccinated three times, and have also had Covid, resistance levels have increased, and as you say, symptoms are much less severe [as I can testify!]

So, in the UK and Europe at least, Covid is now not really an issue. It is considered to just be a standard respiratory virus.

So a certain level of self quarantine is sensible, but 5 days is sufficient.

• Like 1

We are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in July '22. Now I have concerns with increased passengers and mask rules relaxed. I was fully vaccinated & boosted(1), but got Covid in late Jan'22. My Doctorgot me Paxlovid. Live in a large 55+ community that's had all activities(now maskless) open for many months. However, recently it seems that more people here are getting Covid. The government data is flawed since many test on their own and don't tell anyone their sick. 

1 hour ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

I have had two vaccines and two boosters.  Recently developed Covid.  Took Paxlovid.  I had symptoms for approixmately two days.  Low grade fever, some muscle ache and mild cough.

Yes indeed, Covid is still out there.  But thankfully, vaccinations and Paxlovid, have made a big big difference in respect to severity of the disease. 

For anyone staying overnight in Vancouver before flying back to or through the U.S. the day after disembarkation at Canada Place, we have just successfully used CVM Medical at the port for our required 24-hour before flight test.  I booked an antigen test online using https://covid-medical.ca which required pre-payment of CAD 85.00 for each of us.  The testing facility listed as Vancouver Cruise Ship Terminal (Downtown) on the website is actually at the Convention Center next door.  Once you collect your bags after disembarkation, go to street level outside the terminal building, turn right and walk about a block to the next building and go up those steps.  Suite 20 is accessed from outside - I am posting a photo I took with an arrow indicating the door.  Not only do I hope this helps, I also hope even more that by the time you may be reading this, none of us will need the information any more! 😉

0A6646B2-51D7-4794-9288-38AEC0A01AFD.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Willwils said:

We are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in July '22. Now I have concerns with increased passengers and mask rules relaxed. I was fully vaccinated & boosted(1), but got Covid in late Jan'22. My Doctorgot me Paxlovid. Live in a large 55+ community that's had all activities(now maskless) open for many months. However, recently it seems that more people here are getting Covid. The government data is flawed since many test on their own and don't tell anyone their sick. 

Read CDC expectations for US this Fall with new variant.  Also in Washington Post and NYT.    

Been gone for 15 or 16 days. Was on a cruise to Alaska. Disembarked Royal Princess on May 14th but wasn't flying home until the 16th. Princess offered free onboard COVID testing on the 13th for folks flying home the day of disembarkation. That left us out. We disembarked on the 14th, picked up our luggage, and went across the way to a hotel where we were provided with free (paid for by Princess) COVID testing. Since we were flying out the next day this worked for us. Fortunately we tested negative and everything worked out well for us. I have no idea how things went for those who tested positive.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, erber said:

I was told they are not assisting with testing. Yesterday we were given a sheet to fill out for disembarkation plans with no mention of covid testing. Todays Patter for Skagaway has  the "due to circumstances beyond our control we will not provide testing....." statement  and refers passengers to a link for covid testing resources in Vancouver. We will see how it goes on Friday!