Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Pretty much every embarkation city has labs that do this. So unless your itinerary is very tight just walk into a local business that does it and have it done there. They would be generally much cheaper or at least on par with paying the cruise line to do it from what I've seen online for pricing.

6 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I'm not in the US so it would be a very long commute to a Walgreens/CVS. 🙂 

My biggest worry is that the laboratory we use here only provides results in the local language which is not English (and not close enough to fake it) and I'll end up in 'certified translation' hell. I'll check in directly with the cruise line and find out what they will accept and see if I can get a lab that will give me results in a reasonable timeframe and in English. 

I really think you should look into one of the on-line proctored services suggested above.  I recall that the one I'm booked with did ask where I was travelling to and I'm pretty sure asked what language.  As long as you have internet, or data on your phone  and a web cam, you should be fine.

And yes, Princess accepts the results.  I used a proctored exam for my last Princess cruise in October.

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

Are they medically trained?  Unless you are sure I would not count on it. Do you know if the NCL people are medically trained or not?

I don't know about NCL, I did it at the pier, but it's not necessary to be medically trained to see if the two lines appear on the test strip.

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Can we bring a test kit with us and take it at the embarkation pier in front of a crew member.  NCL is doing tests at the pier (San Pedro) and it's only 20 minutes until they read the results and let you board.

I've been wondering that too. I have the take home antigen test and was wondering if I could just take it there.

We are 50+.  Completed the primary vaccine series and had ONE booster. We are taking Princess in a couple of weeks. Are we considered "up-to-date" so we can take the antigen test 3 days before , though we  are eligible for the second booster shot now? 

Princess allows antigen test 3 days prior, if you are up-to-date. Here is the link.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

CDC booster eligibility tool seems to indicate we need second booster to be considered up-to-date.

Has anyone been in the same age group 50+, and have had only one booster and taken the antigen test 3 days before, and took Princess?

8 hours ago, funcruiserpa said:

We are 50+.  Completed the primary vaccine series and had ONE booster. We are taking Princess in a couple of weeks. Are we considered "up-to-date" so we can take the antigen test 3 days before , though we  are eligible for the second booster shot now? 

Princess allows antigen test 3 days prior, if you are up-to-date. Here is the link.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

CDC booster eligibility tool seems to indicate we need second booster to be considered up-to-date.

Has anyone been in the same age group 50+, and have had only one booster and taken the antigen test 3 days before, and took Princess?

Depends when you had your last booster.

Here’s a CDC explanation:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently updated its recommendations regarding COVID-19 vaccinations. Certain immunocompromised individuals and people ages 50 years and older who received an initial booster dose at least four months ago are eligible for another booster to increase their protection against severe disease from COVID-19. Additionally, the CDC recommends that adults who received a primary vaccine and booster dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine at least four months ago can receive a second booster dose of a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

We did get our second booster about 3 weeks before sailing, to make sure we were up to date.  Wanted good protection prior to sailing.

Are you sailing from the US/Canada?  
Europe is different. 

If you are due for a booster, I wouldn’t take a chance at 3 days ahead.  Although, if you had to retest, you could do it at the terminal, if tests available.

Our port, checked the dates very closely on our testing and vax cards.  Some say they didn’t look closely at theirs.  

JMO

We are leaving from Florida, US. Also when I chatted with Princess (3 different times), they all consistently said they require only ONE booster to qualify for up-to-date. 

wanted to see if anyone 50+ did 3 days for antigen test with only one booster to verify as it is not in line with CDC. 

Help!  My sister and I are taking my Mom on a girls trip this summer.  We are doing a 2 night pre-cruise stay in London prior to boarding our Princess ship in Southampton.  Wishing now I had done a post-cruise stay vs. pre-cruise stay.  All of us are fully vaccinated and double boosted but will need to test while in London due to our travel window.  Has anyone done at home tests that are proctored?  COVID-19 At-Home Rapid Antigen Test | QuestDirect (questdiagnostics.com)  I will have a laptop with me but am a bit concerned regarding the hotel's internet connection.  Anyone who has done this I would love any advice you can provide.  Thank you in advance! 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:01 AM, The Collie said:

I've been wondering that too. I have the take home antigen test and was wondering if I could just take it there.

Probably not...in that Princess would need their employees to verify the results.  Testing can be done at the pier, but will be expensive.

2 hours ago, Scubagal1 said:

Help!  My sister and I are taking my Mom on a girls trip this summer.  We are doing a 2 night pre-cruise stay in London prior to boarding our Princess ship in Southampton.  Wishing now I had done a post-cruise stay vs. pre-cruise stay.  All of us are fully vaccinated and double boosted but will need to test while in London due to our travel window.  Has anyone done at home tests that are proctored?  COVID-19 At-Home Rapid Antigen Test | QuestDirect (questdiagnostics.com)  I will have a laptop with me but am a bit concerned regarding the hotel's internet connection.  Anyone who has done this I would love any advice you can provide.  Thank you in advance! 

Speak to your hotel - mine said the could arrange the fly home test post cruise, but it is not needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scubagal1 said:

We used the BinaxNow in or London hotel. We used our IPhone and the WiFi was fine. Our hotel even printed out the results for us (it was an e-mail) to take with us to the ship. We had a back-up plan to go to a place close by. princess check in likes to look at hard copies of everything (our experience).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

Can I just clarify that for a sailing from Southampton fully vaccinated/boosted on a Friday that you can test anytime including early morning on Tuesday.

Thanks

Yes, as you are within the three day test period. 

Sky Princess, Gravdal, Lofoten Islands, Norway, day 10 of 14 nights...

Masks now compulsory inside, except when sitting to eat or drink, and outside in 'large' (number unspecified) groups. 

Not surprisingly, rules change on board not just pre-departure. 

Covid possibly propagated more because of the large number of passengers inside on this cruise to the cold climes of the Arctic Circle. 

Also, despite recommendations, until a couple of days ago, only a small minority of passengers were wearing masks in for example lifts and the theatre. 

2 hours ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

Can I just clarify that for a sailing from Southampton fully vaccinated/boosted on a Friday that you can test anytime including early morning on Tuesday.

Thanks

If the ship leaves on Tuesday, you can test from Saturday to departure day. The Princess website gives an example. 3 days ahead would be Saturday, not Friday.

9 hours ago, nini said:

If the ship leaves on Tuesday, you can test from Saturday to departure day. The Princess website gives an example. 3 days ahead would be Saturday, not Friday.

My understanding and from what others have said after phoning Princess is that the Friday counts as one of the 3 days so anytime Wednesday or Thursday would be ok. We sail from Southampton on a Friday soon and have booked our tests for Wednesday. It is probably best to phone Princess to get a definite answer

On 6/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, miagirl said:

I really think you should look into one of the on-line proctored services suggested above.  I recall that the one I'm booked with did ask where I was travelling to and I'm pretty sure asked what language.  As long as you have internet, or data on your phone  and a web cam, you should be fine.

And yes, Princess accepts the results.  I used a proctored exam for my last Princess cruise in October.

You still need adequate bandwidth.  We had a problem getting consistent bandwidth in our hotel room while taking the emed test.  If you lose the connection you have to start over with a new test kit.

Edited by travelhound

10 hours ago, ann141 said:

My understanding and from what others have said after phoning Princess is that the Friday counts as one of the 3 days so anytime Wednesday or Thursday would be ok. We sail from Southampton on a Friday soon and have booked our tests for Wednesday. It is probably best to phone Princess to get a definite answer

If you sail on Friday as you have just stated,  then you can test as early as Tuesday. No need to call Princess, it is on their website as an example. I should knkw, we sailed from Southampton on a Monday and could year has early as Friday.

7 minutes ago, nini said:

If you sail on Friday as you have just stated,  then you can test as early as Tuesday. No need to call Princess, it is on their website as an example. I should knkw, we sailed from Southampton on a Monday and could year has early as Friday.

@niniis correct.  It is spelled out on PCL website.  They give an example. Don’t wait on hold for hours to call them.

• Like 1