Fear of Quarantine

Up until today, my husband and I have been optimistic about our Harmony 1/16 cruise.  We are prepared to mask, miss entertainment, etc. and generally make the best of things.  Now we have seen several reports (Including here and on the national news) and are afraid of being quarantined in a small inside cabin for a portion of our cruise.  Apparently the cruise line can decide you have been “in close contact” with an infected person and force you to quarantine for the remainder of your trip, maybe even without being tested or having any symptoms (and with no compensation).  How do they determine “close contact”?  Can you be tested and go back to normal if you test negative? Just to be clear – we have no fear of COVID infection – we’ll all have it at some point, probably.  And we are willing to roll with the punches and follow protocols.  Our biggest fear is being quarantined (basically imprisoned) against our will and without testing.

If you are determined to be in close contact, you will be tested, and will be confined to your room until test results come back, per several posts on here. If you test positive, you will be relocated to an ocean view room (all recent reports, but may vary by ship and sailing) where you will need to quarantine for the duration of your cruise or 5 days, whichever is shorter. 

6 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

If you are determined to be in close contact, you will be tested, and will be confined to your room until test results come back, per several posts on here. If you test positive, you will be relocated to an ocean view room (all recent reports, but may vary by ship and sailing) where you will need to quarantine for the duration of your cruise or 5 days, whichever is shorter. 

Just now, gafnewyork said:
7 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Expand  

Based on my firsthand experience, I can assure you there were a number of passengers who tested positive that were placed in isolation/ quarantine in an inside stateroom (no windows of any kind).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Up until today, my husband and I have been optimistic about our Harmony 1/16 cruise.  We are prepared to mask, miss entertainment, etc. and generally make the best of things.  Now we have seen several reports (Including here and on the national news) and are afraid of being quarantined in a small inside cabin for a portion of our cruise.  Apparently the cruise line can decide you have been “in close contact” with an infected person and force you to quarantine for the remainder of your trip, maybe even without being tested or having any symptoms (and with no compensation).  How do they determine “close contact”?  Can you be tested and go back to normal if you test negative? Just to be clear – we have no fear of COVID infection – we’ll all have it at some point, probably.  And we are willing to roll with the punches and follow protocols.  Our biggest fear is being quarantined (basically imprisoned) against our will and without testing.

I see several misconceptions. Someone whose husband was positive did isolate, for 24 hours, while she was tested. 

The no compensation... nonsense. Not true. Rcl refunds a prorated amt for the days you missed and the ports. And they still are feeding you and taking care of you., people just arent grateful. They are like its rcl fault they got sick. If this isnt enough stay home please. No more omg my pizza took a hour and wasnt hot enough. 

Of course you should be isolated if you get covid. If you dont agree please dont cruise right now... imprisoned against your will. Enough drama. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Scheduled for the 1/30 Harmony sailing. My husband is severely claustrophobic and suffers from anxiety. My fear (and his) is he’ll end up testing positive and ending up in the red zone. We book a jr suite for the balcony and extra a space. We’ve been on over 20 cruises and this was never an issue before. I have a feeling this isn’t in the cards for us this time. Upset, but….

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I see several misconceptions. Someone who husband was positive did isolate, for 24 hours, while she was tested. 

The no compensation... nonsense. Not true. Rcl refunds a prorated amt for the days you missed and the ports. And they still are feeding you and taking are on you., people just arent grateful. They ar like its rcl fault they got sick. If this isnt enough stay home please. No more omg my pizza took a hour and wasnt hot enough. 

If my husband tested positive, or course I'd understand being isolated.  I am referring to those who have been required to quarantine because of some designation of "close contact".

close contact 

Security cameras are very good at determining “who are you.”(Grammatically incorrect) 

also if you take a excursion, they have the list. 

As for quarantine, as I’ve said before, think of it as an exciting experience. You know you will relate the story to everyone you ever meet for the next five years. George, your neighbor, will start to avoid you because you will likely tell him, his wife and each of his eight children the story at least a dozen times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

If my husband tested positive, or course I'd understand being isolated.  I am referring to those who have been required to quarantine because of some designation of "close contact".

You will isolate in your booked room. 

Only those who test positive 'have' to move. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

There are only 2 reasons vaccinated  Adult passengers get tested on board.

1.  Close contact to someone, such as your waiter that tested positive

2.  You do not feel well.

Actually 2 others.

1.  If doing a b2b

2.  If need a test to fly home to another country but I think even they are now tested off the ship after the cruise disembarks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gafnewyork said:

Based on my firsthand experience, I can assure you there were a number of passengers who tested positive that were placed in isolation/ quarantine in an inside stateroom (no windows of any kind).  

Yuck. During our early cruising years we  frequently booked insides w/o any problems - we were never there except to sleep and shower, but the thought of spending days in one and not being able to leave sends chills up and down my spine.  No thanks.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

Scheduled for the 1/30 Harmony sailing. My husband is severely claustrophobic and suffers from anxiety. My fear (and his) is he’ll end up testing positive and ending up in the red zone. We book a jr suite for the balcony and extra a space. We’ve been on over 20 cruises and this was never an issue before. I have a feeling this isn’t in the cards for us this time. Upset, but….

I'm claustrophobic too. As I was reading this I was thinking, they would have to find me an isolated balcony or give me a sedative and knock me out.   Otherwise it would not be pretty. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

It all depends on the ship. In most cases a couple is confined to deck 3, ocean view cabin with free room service, free wifi and no booze. If you can handle that for 4 or 5 days, you should be fine 

1 hour ago, handbellplayer said:

You might want to consider an all-inclusive instead of a cruise. A cruise line can and will confine you in a range of situations that would not occur in land, as this is fully within their jurisdiction. If you’re remotely worried about being stuck in your cabin, this is totally not the time to be getting on a ship. 

40 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm claustrophobic too. As I was reading this I was thinking, they would have to find me an isolated balcony or give me a sedative and knock me out.   Otherwise it would not be pretty. lol

Exactly! It would NOT be a good situation. 

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

It all depends on the ship. In most cases a couple is confined to deck 3, ocean view cabin with free room service, free wifi and no booze. If you can handle that for 4 or 5 days, you should be fine 

wait... no booze?? i was good with everything until that....

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

On our Oasis Jan 2nd cruise, they moved EVERYBODY off of the 6th deck. That, was designated the "COVID DECK" for our sailing.

Wow!  Are you saying that people were already unpacked in their 6th floor cabins and sometime during the cruise they were told they had to pack and move to a different floor?  Or were they already reassigned to cabins on other floors at embarkation?