Fear of Quarantine

27 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We cruised a lot back the first decade we cruised in inside cabins.  I didn’t find them at all claustrophobic. Being confined to any room and knowing I can’t leave may make me a bit crazy in any kind of cabin.  I mean I think it is the loss of freedom that would be the challenge.  Not the cabin type.  That said, I am sure I would survive.

jc

Most people don't find them claustrophobic, that is if you are just using them for sleeping/showering/bathroom. Who hangs out in the cabin anyway? It's not an issue when used how most use them. Being stuck inside for days is another story entirely. I can understand why folks are apprehensive about that possibility. I think there will be a lot of cancellations until this is ended and is probably the biggest issue, even more than masks. Having a mediocre vacation is one thing, having a terrible vacation is another. You can stay home and order delivery/door dash/grub hub for a week and make your own beverages, even get them delivered for free/low cost with Bevmo or Drizzly (even the grocery store with in house or instacart). Comparing that to being stuck in a tiny bathroom sized cabin for days with limited programing and staring at the wall will be a no-brainer for some.

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Could be because it is inconsistent with medical advice for someone recovering from an illness.

Or maybe they just don’t want guests who are isolated for an extended period spending their days getting sloshed in their cabins. Could cause other problems.

Ok, so you don't really know then. WAG. Thanks for the laugh.  🍺

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I think the CSO - Conditional Sailing Order - will be extended or turned into the Permanent Sailing Order. CDC might even start testing for Flu.

CDC already said they are letting it expire.

• Like 1

The only thing I dislike is the possibility of having to not be able to stay in my suite category and having to move cabins...otherwise whatever happens happens. We just got a nice Royal UpBid to an OS for my birthday cruise.

• Like 5

On 1/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, handbellplayer said:

Up until today, my husband and I have been optimistic about our Harmony 1/16 cruise.  We are prepared to mask, miss entertainment, etc. and generally make the best of things.  Now we have seen several reports (Including here and on the national news) and are afraid of being quarantined in a small inside cabin for a portion of our cruise.  Apparently the cruise line can decide you have been “in close contact” with an infected person and force you to quarantine for the remainder of your trip, maybe even without being tested or having any symptoms (and with no compensation).  How do they determine “close contact”?  Can you be tested and go back to normal if you test negative? Just to be clear – we have no fear of COVID infection – we’ll all have it at some point, probably.  And we are willing to roll with the punches and follow protocols.  Our biggest fear is being quarantined (basically imprisoned) against our will and without testing.

If you are at all concerned with any of the “what if’s” of cruising in this current Covid era, it’s best to just stay off the ships, until: A. Your willing to take the risk or B. Covid becomes a distant memory(not gonna happen anytime soon)

For us, the next breath is not guaranteed for any of us, under any circumstance. We choose to live our lives under any circumstance, knowing the risks and making an informed choice. Life is meant to be lived…I refuse to sit by and exist, while I’m waiting for the storm to pass…….

I do however, respect the rights of others to live out their lives as they choose, w/o judgment ❤️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Price31 said:

CDC already said they are letting it expire.

That is very surprising considering that cruise ships could trigger a new global outbreak given that people from all over the world mix together for a long period of time.

• Haha 1

This is one of those decisions everyone has to make for themselves. 

Personally, for our two cruises last fall and the ones I have coming up this year, I am packing (did pack) things I don't often take on cruises (my laptop, our Nintendo Switch, sketch pad and pencils, a couple more card or travel games than I normally would bring) so we have more entertainment options in case we are made to quarantine, and then I am going ahead with the plan to hopefully enjoy a cruise in a normal way, and if not, hopefully managing to  enjoy a week or so of being lazy, with food brought to me, streaming TV shows, playing games, reading and playing Mario Bros. etc.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is very surprising considering that cruise ships could trigger a new global outbreak given that people from all over the world mix together for a long period of time.

same as at ski resorts, beach resorts, theme parks, on airplanes, at conventions...... except with more testing and better tracing on ships

• Like 2

I'm just chiming in to say that your fears are warranted. I have them too - I've got two young kids and being locked up in 149 sq ft for five days is terrifying. I'm still not sure what we're going to do.

My hope is that by March they change the rule so that you can quarantine inside your own stateroom. That way you can mitigate the risk of torture by investing in a larger stateroom.

• Like 1

The DH and I had a long discussion last night.  We tried to go through all the worst case scenario’s and how would we deal with them.  We don’t normally bring wine on board but this time we will and save them for quarantine bottles.  (If we don’t drink them we leave them behind.). Card games are a good idea. We would not quarantine together unless both are positive so one can stay out and advocate for the other at guest services.  I will bring OTC meds and more prescription meds for more days.  The DH will bring his laptop as he can work remotely.  Right now we think we’d rent a car and drive 2 days home but would see how we feel at the time.  It all takes more planning but hopefully we get on board and then relax.  While our November cruise was different with less socializing we otherwise relaxed and had a good time.  We felt safer on the ship then work.  Hoping February is the same.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We don’t normally bring wine on board but this time we will and save them for quarantine bottles.

(If we don’t drink them we leave them behind.).

Good idea.

Hopefully we would be in the same stateroom that you had on our cruise. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, Babr said:

Could be because it is inconsistent with medical advice for someone recovering from an illness.

Or maybe they just don’t want guests who are isolated for an extended period spending their days getting sloshed in their cabins. Could cause other problems.

Is this just for confirmed cases?  Or is this also for those confirmed as close contacts?  I thought I read about someone who was a close contact and in quarantine who still had their drink package. 

14 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Is this just for confirmed cases?  Or is this also for those confirmed as close contacts?  I thought I read about someone who was a close contact and in quarantine who still had their drink package. 

Close contacts are isolated temporarily until their test results are returned - perhaps overnight. I don’t think the drink package is an issue for them unless they can’t stand to be without alcohol for even a brief period.

9 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Things to pack:

Dayquill

Nyquill

fever reducer

cough syrup

throat lozenges

pepto

imodium

timer to make sure you are never in one place more than 14 minutes

My dnl says she was going to do that if someone came and sat close to her.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

Good idea.

Hopefully we would be in the same stateroom that you had on our cruise. 🍷

On one cruise we were on there were two bottles of good champagne in the fridge when we boarded.  We phoned down to customer services but they basically said 'enjoy'.  We left it a few days in case they got claimed and then drank them. 

It was a TA and we turned Diamond on that trip and we thought maybe it was from the LA but there was no note so 🤔 🤷 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Just about every ship has more inside cabins than outside. 

I don't recall any ship on which that is true (more insides than anything else with some daylight), certainly not for newer ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:33 AM, ace2542 said:

I'm so glad to you're back. I've haven't seen you posting in quite a while...  Your. reasoned and well thought out analysis is always so insightful and informative.  

• Haha 3

On 1/11/2022 at 2:56 PM, xpcdoojk said:

We cruised a lot back the first decade we cruised in inside cabins.  I didn’t find them at all claustrophobic. Being confined to any room and knowing I can’t leave may make me a bit crazy in any kind of cabin.  I mean I think it is the loss of freedom that would be the challenge.  Not the cabin type.  That said, I am sure I would survive.

jc

I've slept in worse

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, awestover89 said:

If you are determined to be in close contact, you will be tested, and will be confined to your room until test results come back, per several posts on here. If you test positive, you will be relocated to an ocean view room (all recent reports, but may vary by ship and sailing) where you will need to quarantine for the duration of your cruise or 5 days, whichever is shorter. 

Yikes 😳 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Most people don't find them claustrophobic, that is if you are just using them for sleeping/showering/bathroom. Who hangs out in the cabin anyway? It's not an issue when used how most use them. Being stuck inside for days is another story entirely. I can understand why folks are apprehensive about that possibility. I think there will be a lot of cancellations until this is ended and is probably the biggest issue, even more than masks. Having a mediocre vacation is one thing, having a terrible vacation is another. You can stay home and order delivery/door dash/grub hub for a week and make your own beverages, even get them delivered for free/low cost with Bevmo or Drizzly (even the grocery store with in house or instacart). Comparing that to being stuck in a tiny bathroom sized cabin for days with limited programing and staring at the wall will be a no-brainer for some.

We could also just stay in a hotel in Florida.  No Masks, No Testing, and No Risk of Quarantine 🙂

• Like 2