Forced cabin move because floor is blocked off

neverlaysup

I know that the ships have been either blocking off a portion of a deck or the whole deck for either quarantine cabins or crew accommodations to space the crew out. I sailed Apex last week and deck 6 was completely restricted to crew only. I am sailing Apex again next month and we have an S3 suite on deck 6 (end unit with porthole on end of balcony) that I picked out on purpose because I liked the balcony and location. I fear that I am going to board the ship only to be notified that my cabin has been changed due to this issue and I will not be satisfied with my new assignment. I know that I am in an S3 so in Celebrity's mind, any S2 or S1 is an upgrade but for me, it is not. Being moved to a Deck 12 S3 or an middle S3 would not be acceptable and they are the only 3 cabins currently showing open within the same category.

Has this happened to anyone else recently and if so, did Celebrity reach out beforehand to allow you a choice of new location or did you have to accept their new cabin?

If you did get moved without notification and were not happy, did Celebrity have any offer for you to make you feel whole?

I know the cruise line can do essentially do whatever they want whenever they want as part of the cruise contract but I am asking for others that have experienced the same issues recently, especially with the deck 6 S3 cabins.

I called Celebrity and asked to move to a cabin of my choice (based on the available openings) because I fear this cabin move is forthcoming. I was told that I can only move now if I pay the difference in cabin pricing or I can wait and see what happens.

What to do?

Edited by neverlaysup

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t think there’s anything more that you can do. You’ve asked the question and gotten the answer so unless you are willing to outright cancel the cruise, I think you have to wait and see.

I would either cancel and rebook at a different time or live on the wild side and see what happens! I personally won't cruise until Covid slows a bit. Sail on.....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

I know that the ships have been either blocking off a portion of a deck or the whole deck for either quarantine cabins or crew accommodations to space the crew out. I sailed Apex last week and deck 6 was completely restricted to crew only. I am sailing Apex again next month and we have an S3 suite on deck 6 (end unit with porthole on end of balcony) that I picked out on purpose because I liked the balcony and location. I fear that I am going to board the ship only to be notified that my cabin has been changed due to this issue and I will not be satisfied with my new assignment. I know that I am in an S3 so in Celebrity's mind, any S2 or S1 is an upgrade but for me, it is not. Being moved to a Deck 12 S3 or an middle S3 would not be acceptable and they are the only 3 cabins currently showing open within the same category.

Has this happened to anyone else recently and if so, did Celebrity reach out beforehand to allow you a choice of new location or did you have to accept their new cabin?

If you did get moved without notification and were not happy, did Celebrity have any offer for you to make you feel whole?

I know the cruise line can do essentially do whatever they want whenever they want as part of the cruise contract but I am asking for others that have experienced the same issues recently, especially with the deck 6 S3 cabins.

I called Celebrity and asked to move to a cabin of my choice (based on the available openings) because I fear this cabin move is forthcoming. I was told that I can only move now if I pay the difference in cabin pricing or I can wait and see what happens.

What to do?

I guess they could always let you go to your cabin, the put you in quarantine until the cruise is over.

why don’t you cancel 

• Haha 1

I would wait and see what happens when you get on the ship. In December we were in a suite on deck 12 and were woken up early in the morning with the noise of carts wheeled over the tile floor in the Oceanview Cafe. We complained to the Retreat Host and were given the choice of three cabins on deck 11. The one we choose was an aft corner cabin on deck 11 and we loved it. At the end of the cruise they also gave us a FCC. I think they will do whatever they can to make your cruise enjoyable. 

Only you can decide if you want to take the chance or cancel.

• Thanks 1

You only have a few options but I suspect Celebrity is not going to bend over backwards to accommodate you. What exactly would make you feel whole if you did get moved?  If you are going to be unsatisfied without any guarantee that 'your' cabin is safe, I would recommend moving your sail date. 

Your options would be to wait and see what last minute cancelations look like, pay for a S2/S1 upgrade, or potentially upgrade onboard. The only real guarantee of those options is to pay to upgrade now. 

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

What to do?

Just wait a bit.  There might be a lot fewer cases on board by the time you sail next month as Omicron rapidly subsides in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Apex in November and was moved from Deck 6 to Deck 8 or 9 - same category and cabin type IV.  We were not told of the move until we got there but had heard on CC they were using Deck 6 for quarantine(I was relieved we were moved honestly).  If you are moved, just make sure all your reservations, tours, etc. info is sent to your new cabin - we had a few issues.

It was a very nice cruise.

I have heard of it happening both ways.  For our cruise in October on the Equinox, us and the 3 other parties we were sailing with, were all on the hump on Deck 6.  I got new cruise documents a few weeks before the cruise showing a new cabin, which I wasn't happy with, but I got a call shortly after I received that email and we were able to get a cabin on deck 7 on the hump in the same category, so it worked out fine for us.

I heard of people on the same cruise that were not notified in advance.  One lady found out about her room change when she went to her deck 6 cabin and Captain Taos (who had just got back on the ship and had to quarantine) was in her cabin!

Edit: Deck 6 was blocked off to quarantine staff on our cruise.

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

I have been watching closely as it has been reported that on the Constellation  deck 7 starboard forward is the quarantine zone - and we are booked up there.  No change yet to my reservation so I assume any change will be a "surprise" during boarding.  We do carry our luggage on with us so it should work out fine.

Regarding the deck being blocked off, sailing Celebrity Edge twice over the summer, most of the crew told me they were staying in guest cabins while they were sailing capacity controlled cruises.

My guess is this what’s happening on your Apex cruise to have a whole Deck blocked off for crew only.

Aside from you cancelling the cruise, what would you rather do?

2 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I have been watching closely as it has been reported that on the Constellation  deck 7 starboard forward is the quarantine zone - and we are booked up there.  No change yet to my reservation so I assume any change will be a "surprise" during boarding.  We do carry our luggage on with us so it should work out fine.

The hallway to that area is indeed blocked off on our current cruise 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

What to do?

Wait it out even with your cruise date quickly approaching. If it happens, hopefully Celebrity will handle it like RC did for us. We were lucky and received plenty of notice. October 2021 RC notified us we were being moved to a different deck and cabin for both legs of our March 2022 Caribbean cruises. They reassigned us from deck 8 to deck 7 and keeping the new cabin (which is directly below our original cabin) for both legs. RC also gave us $100.00 extra OBC per leg for the inconvenience move. 

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Wait it out even with your cruise date quickly approaching. If it happens, hopefully Celebrity will handle it like RC did for us. We were lucky and received plenty of notice. October 2021 RC notified us we were being moved to a different deck and cabin for both legs of our March 2022 Caribbean cruises. They reassigned us from deck 8 to deck 7 and keeping the new cabin (which is directly below our original cabin) for both legs. RC also gave us $100.00 extra OBC per leg for the inconvenience move. 

Agree!  Why do cruise lines take such a bad rap for this situation!?  I recently had to fly back home from the west coast to the east coast (late Dec 2021).  3 days in a row my flight had to be re-scheduled, not JetBlue's fault, it was Covid/staff being sick etc.  I got $200 for each cancellation, so IMO move along, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'm going to wait it out, I just think that if deck 6 is still going to be a crew deck and they know it, they need to give people that picked cabins there the option from what's available now versus after filling all cabins with upgrades.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

I'm going to wait it out, I just think that if deck 6 is still going to be a crew deck and they know it, they need to give people that picked cabins there the option from what's available now versus after filling all cabins with upgrades.

I agree. I wasn't thrilled about our move. We always book early to get the cabin we want. Luckily RC selected a like cabin in a good location for us. I would have called and requested a different cabin otherwise. 

Could you move to a similar cabin on another deck just before you sail?  Then when you're on board, ask about the use of deck 6 and if it is not being used for quarantine, maybe your original cabin would still be available.  

47 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

I don’t think any of us has a crystal ball.

Edited by cruisestitch

Just got a call from the Celebrity executive office based on the email question I asked them. The answer is this- Retreat guests will not be moved. Even though the doors are closed, suite guests will still have access to their cabins on deck 6.

Crisis averted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1