Complimentary masks

Alabaster Cruiser

7 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

What type masks are being provided now?  Will be on Constellation soon.  Last cruise we received cloth  Celebrity masks.  Wondering if they have stepped that up to some form of n95 masks.  Thanks

Saw a news clip that said cruise lines moving to KN95 or N94 masks.  Problem is try and buy them.  Most sellers out of stock.  

A personal comment that KN95 masks fit well if in the correct size.  Was told there are 4 sizes!  N95 impossible for wife with asthma and hospitals truly need that mask.  I would not want to wear a N95 for more than an hour.

I’ll disagree N95s are hard to get. I order them all the time and our ordering them does not impact hospitals. That was an issue many many months ago. Not now. 

you just have to plan ahead a bit when getting low. I need a stack for my students and haven’t had any issues. 

den

• Like 2

Two weeks ago on the Connie in addition to the two cloth masks in the cabin they had an ample supply of individually wrapped surgical type (not KN95 or N95) available at multiple locations on the ship.  These were free to anyone who needed them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Starting next week N95 masks will be available free in the USA at Walgreens, CVS and other pharmacies associated with the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program.  Most pharmacies including in supermarkets.   They are being released from the National Strategic Stockpile.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074037421/the-biden-administration-will-give-out-400-million-free-n95-masks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Starting next week N95 masks will be available free in the USA at Walgreens, CVS and other pharmacies associated with the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program.  Most pharmacies including in supermarkets.   They are being released from the National Strategic Stockpile.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074037421/the-biden-administration-will-give-out-400-million-free-n95-masks

Why do I think this will go as smoothly as finding toilet paper in March of 2020.  That's a little over one mask per person and if everyone gets 3, and people find a way to work the system I think finding one will be very difficult.  But it's a start. I'm thankful I can afford to buy my own 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Why do I think this will go as smoothly as finding toilet paper in March of 2020.  That's a little over one mask per person and if everyone gets 3, and people find a way to work the system I think finding one will be very difficult.  But it's a start. I'm thankful I can afford to buy my own 

I recently bought N95 masks on Amazon.  It was no problem.

When the mask policy was sprung at the last minute for Celebrity cruises a few weeks ago, people literally had no time to prepare.  Some were on their way to their ship.  At least now everybody has a chance to find their own masks including the type they want and bring enough for their sailing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’ll disagree N95s are hard to get. I order them all the time and our ordering them does not impact hospitals. That was an issue many many months ago. Not now. 

you just have to plan ahead a bit when getting low. I need a stack for my students and haven’t had any issues. 

den

You might be able to find them soon at Walgreens   They are partnering with the Federal Government and will be giving away free N95 being supplied by the National Stockpile.   Reported on news but details still being worked out. 

• Thanks 1

On the Reflection now and they provided just one cloth mask per passenger. As is well known now cloth mask provide nearly zero protection. 

As others have mentioned K95 or KN95 masks are available on Amazon. But note the delivery time to make sure that you have them before your cruise. I bought 40 K95 masks for less than $45. Also, remember that masks can be reused with at least 3-4 days rest between usage. COVID will not survive that long without a host victim. 

BTW, most folks are wearing masks, but saw a few last night that were not.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

These masks being provided by the feds are not free.  They were paid for with our tax dollars.

That is indeed an important point many don't think of. Nothing the government provides for "free" is actually free, at least to the working folks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Read a good story on USATODAY -  

The CDC estimates that about 60% of KN95 respirators in the U.S. are counterfeit and fail to meet strict standards set by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

On another site they said that N95's  and KN95 Masks run about $1.00 per mask and up.   If you see them at prices less than $1.00/mask there is a good chance they are a fake that is not certified. 

The article explains how to identify fakes.    One of the easiest --- N95s never have ear loops.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/reviewed/2022/01/20/how-find-real-n-95-kn-95-mask-and-avoid-fake-ones/6579066001/

• Thanks 1

This is the same type of mask given on the Reflection this week. Masks of this type are almost useless and should only be used for one day if at all. Bring your own K95 masks.

4 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

This is the mask we got on our Oct 1st cruise out of Seattle.

mask.jpg

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, sptrout said:

This is the same type of mask given on the Reflection this week. Masks of this type are almost useless and should only be used for one day if at all. Bring your own K95 masks.

Agree. Definitely bring your own at least until Omicron ebbs. The cruise staff are wearing N95 or KN95. But unfortunately 80% ish of the passengers on Connie right now are wearing fabric. And considering at 70 years old I am among the youngest that is not good. I wish people would do some research before boarding!

Same here on the Reflection this week. Most are just using either Celebrity masks or surgical masks. Some are not wearing any or just carrying a drink around so they can get around the rule (a person admitted so). Only 841 passengers on this ship so at least plenty of room.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Read a good story on USATODAY -  

The CDC estimates that about 60% of KN95 respirators in the U.S. are counterfeit and fail to meet strict standards set by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

On another site they said that N95's  and KN95 Masks run about $1.00 per mask and up.   If you see them at prices less than $1.00/mask there is a good chance they are a fake that is not certified. 

The article explains how to identify fakes.    One of the easiest --- N95s never have ear loops.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/reviewed/2022/01/20/how-find-real-n-95-kn-95-mask-and-avoid-fake-ones/6579066001/

You are correct. I ordered from Amazon and the masks & packaging didn't have the all markings indicated for real KN95's. My sister ordered masks that the FDA certified last year & I visited her 2 weeks ago. I compared mine to the ones she had and a big difference was evident in the quality/thickness. Further they have the markings of a legit mask/packaging. I ordered from that same company (100 for $115 a small price break the more you buy) & we won't get them in time for our 2/11 cruise but maybe we get lucky. In the meantime I'll use what I got. They fit more snugly than a regular medical mask (the blue kind we've all been wearing). CDC advised cloth masks provide little protection. I'm surprised X is providing them.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:39 AM, TeeRick said:

Just love the "FREE" part....nothing is free.  How do you think the government pays for these!!!  LOL...

If a cruise line required continuous wearing of N95 masks, they might go out of business.

Many people are not wearing any masks in the their daily life and barely tolerate the mask rules as they are.  Texas and Florida where alot of the ships are homeported do not require masks and the people from those areas are not used to wearing them.

So Celebrity offering cloth masks is probably a good compromise.