KEEP MY CABIN CLEAN MYSELF

abby1257

OK, as stupid as this sounds, I have a cruise end of March and May.  With staff popping up sick with covid, I am really tempted to NOT have staff allowed in my cabin and clean it myself...I would only ask for fresh towels every day that I will get...I would take lysol wipes with me...Is this really way out there....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

You can certainly do so, if you wish.  Carnival has a policy that the stewards have to enter the room once a day.  Apparently, this is for guest safety (in case something is wrong and you haven't notified anyone.)  If you only want them to bring in fresh towels, they can do so.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the ship that catch covid...haven't caught it off the staff....THAT IS NOT way out there.

Not saying it's impossible but there are far more scenarios onboard that pose a much greater risk of exposure than a staff member entering the room while you aren't there. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

Unless you are also planning to just stay in your cabin for the entirety of the cruise, then to answer your question...yes, it's way out there.

Hey...you asked.  🙂

I agree....I get that cruising is not in everyone's comfort zone right now but if you are that concerned can you even have fun on a cruise currently?  I mean heck why stop there...why not see if you can bus your own table and do your own dishes right....cause I mean there is nothing I look forward to more on a vacation then cleaning up after my own self right....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I totally get this. How can you be sure the steward isn’t taking their mask off in your room? You double mask around the ship, then walk into your room and remove the mask and breathe in contaminated steward air. COVID hangs out in the air for a while. Is it likely? Who knows. I suppose they could be farting on all the pillows, too.

Edited by Crismess669
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

I would be way more concerned with those that are anti mask and try to circumvent the system/rules.  How do you know you are not walking right into a "cough cloud" from someone not wearing a mask?  You can't, so very possible you may want to rethink your travel plans if it includes being around people in general if this remains a concern for you.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
3 hours ago, abby1257 said:

OK, as stupid as this sounds, I have a cruise end of March and May.  With staff popping up sick with covid, I am really tempted to NOT have staff allowed in my cabin and clean it myself...I would only ask for fresh towels every day that I will get...I would take lysol wipes with me...Is this really way out there....

I think sid did a review where he was able to keep the staff out. They did get into his room one time, and he said, I'm never letting them in again😆  So no, you're no so far out there. I always wipe our room down with sanitary wipes every day. Never hurts to be safe 

Thanks everyone....they are all valid laughs and points...I appreciate them.  Make sure you wash the glasses in your room.....I saw a show on tv where they put a hidden camera in a hotel room and watched the maid wipe the glasses in the bathroom with the same cloth that she..........🤣  Have a good night

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Thanks everyone....they are all valid laughs and points...I appreciate them.  Make sure you wash the glasses in your room.....I saw a show on tv where they put a hidden camera in a hotel room and watched the maid wipe the glasses in the bathroom with the same cloth that she..........🤣  Have a good night

i worked at a hotel cleaning rooms one summer in college. 
During training the person put on a glove, sprayed the toilet and cleaned it out with a sponge. 

She then proceeded to wipe the counter down after. 

i asked why she didn’t clean the counter first.  She said it didn’t matter, the next room would still get the sponge in the toilet. 

FTR I kept a counter sponge and a toilet sponge. I cannot tell you what others did.  I just know how they were trained 

This wasn’t a cheap hotel chain.  

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
59 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I have never ever used one of those glasses. We pack little dixie cups use them once then dispose of them. Especially now with the Omicron.

Edited by BasicSailor

The staff may remove their masks while cleaning and you wouldn't know it. I've seen hotel staff at the Marriott doing it just a few weeks ago. So yes, someone may be breathing in the one area of the ship that you feel safe to remove your mask and breathe. I get it. 

I will have my steward clean my cabin but I will also pop the balcony door open and air it out when I return after it has been cleaned before I take off my mask. I  brought Clorox wipes with me and wiped down everything from the remote to the seats on the balcony PRECOVID. So I've always been germ-averse and also because people are gross. LOL.

Edited by charliesdad63
  • Like 7