Connecting cabins

rg123

I have a question for those who’ve been in adjoining interior cabins-but who were not sailing with those next door. Have you noticed any more noise issues with these cabins as opposed to just regular interiors? I was pricing a connecting cabin on Liberty as the price was quite a bit less than the interior we have now, but our TA is trying to talk us out of it saying that there could be a noise problem with people next door. 

• Like 1

Laast cruise was on Navigator a week ago. Connecting JS cabin, it was occupied and we heard absolutely nothing. Talked to them several times over the divider on the balcony.  A few years ago we had a connecting on Independence, lots and lots and lots of wind noise when balcony door was opened.  

• Like 1

Maybe we have really good hearing??  On the 2 occasions when we've had a cabin with a connecting door, we could hear people talking in the adjoining cabin several times, and we heard their TV once or twice.  Also their alarm clock.  What you hear depends on how close they (and their sounds) are to the connecting doors, and how close you are.

Hearing the neighbors really didn't bother me, as the sounds were fairly faint, but having less furniture in our cabin did bother me!  In one cabin we had only a chair - not the loveseat that non-connecting cabins had.  I missed the loveseat!

Edited by foxgoodrich
left out word
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Your travel agent is right...it's noisy.  Avoid the connecting cabin if possible.

Noisier, yes as they were loud talkers and had TV up high. Was while ago but my bigger issue was a smoker. They'd smoke on Balcony while leaving Balcony Door open, smoke blown into their room and under connecting door filling my Cabin. Reported twice, they got busted and were Fined

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Your travel agent is right...it's noisy.  Avoid the connecting cabin if possible.

Good advice.

We wouldn’t book one out of preference.

On one occasion we had to call guest services in the early hours as the television was on so loud not for the first time.

Also we heard shouting at each other we presume many times.

Guest services immediately sent up security who in all fairness sorted it out in a couple of minutes.

Guest services followed up with a telephone call the next day.

• Like 2

We had a connecting Promenade room on Adventure once. Worst mistake ever! We were next to two 17/18 year old girls who slept all day and yelled at us through the door when my wife was blow drying her hair at 5pm to get ready for dinner.  They would blast music at 3am and then decide to facetime their significant others at home at 4am!  One time we had words through the door and they called security on ME!  Bottom line, we got an upgrade to a spacious balcony room on the same floor on day 3 or 4 of the cruise.  Will NEVER get a connecting room again unless it's with my children in the other room.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rg123 said:

I have a question for those who’ve been in adjoining interior cabins-but who were not sailing with those next door. Have you noticed any more noise issues with these cabins as opposed to just regular interiors? I was pricing a connecting cabin on Liberty as the price was quite a bit less than the interior we have now, but our TA is trying to talk us out of it saying that there could be a noise problem with people next door. 

Your ta is right, who are you going to blame if you get noise neighbours random people on CC ? No connecting door definitely has superior noise suppression. Next door could be empty too ,what price are you willing to accept 🤔?

• Like 1

Heard lots of conversations at normal talking level leak through the connecting doors when we were on board the Oasis in a Boardwalk balcony that we had booked guarantee. Like another poster said, we were also wakened by their alarm clock every morning which if I recall correctly was 6:30 or 7:00 am. As a couple who were spending the week on a break from their four kids, I wasn't a fan of this. 

So yes your TA is right to advise you that there is risk of noise but a lot of it depends on who you end up beside. 

I only would ever choose a connecting cabin when I know the people in the other cabin.

That being said, if you go for it just be prepared and bring good ear plugs! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

We had a connecting Promenade room on Adventure once. Worst mistake ever! We were next to two 17/18 year old girls who slept all day and yelled at us through the door when my wife was blow drying her hair at 5pm to get ready for dinner.  They would blast music at 3am and then decide to facetime their significant others at home at 4am!  One time we had words through the door and they called security on ME!  Bottom line, we got an upgrade to a spacious balcony room on the same floor on day 3 or 4 of the cruise.  Will NEVER get a connecting room again unless it's with my children in the other room.

When I started reading this, I was thinking the girls next door were your daughters. 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rg123 said:

On two ships yes, on two others no.  We have also had non-connecting cabins where we hear people next door (and above).  Worst was - non-connecting next door, where the husband not only smoked, but threw stuff at his family.  We called security on him twice, before it was “resolved”.  I feel so bad for his family 😞

• Like 2

I've never had a problem with this. It's luck of the draw on loud neighbors. Had four very loud party boys in a non-adjoining room ruin my sleep every night, without any solution to move rooms offered by Royal. Another time it was an infant who cried nightly. Bring earplugs.

• Like 1

My experience has been 50-50 with connecting cabins on Liberty. First time, I could hear muffled conversations thru the door. TV sometimes, depending on how loud the volume was.  Late at night, they would have it loud but since I'm a night owl, it wasn't a big dead. Being a light sleeper, it was a big deal in the mornings.  Sometimes, the woman would stand next to the connecting door and shout to the man as he was either in the bathroom or out on the balcony, Her side of the conversation was crystal clear.

The second time with a connecting cabin on Liberty, it was not a problem. In fact, I thought it the cabin was empty until day 3 or 4 when I finally saw the young couple entering & exiting.

As someone said above, it depends on the neighbors.  I love to sleep and would gladly pay a few extra $$$ to ensure a good night sleep.

EDIT: Just realized you were asking about interior cabins. All of my experiences have been with balcony cabins. Not sure if the acoustics are different between the two but at least you won't have to worry about someone standing next to the connecting door shouting to someone on the balcony. 🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

Connecting or adjoining cabins were designed and intended for families. These cabins are often cheaper for a reason...people avoid them.  Your TA is just trying to help you...it could, or not, be a mistake.

How much are you saving?

Are you willing to take a chance?...a quiet neighbor, or a neighbor from hell.

* If you decide to try it and save some money...

Last time we had a connecting cabin (not by choice), we politely asked our cabin steward/maintenance to add additional soundproofing. They knew exactly what to do...they pushed towels under the door, and double taped the seams all the way around the door. No noise.

13 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Last time we had a connecting cabin (not by choice), we politely asked our cabin steward/maintenance to add additional soundproofing. They knew exactly what to do...they pushed towels under the door, and double taped the seams all the way around the door. No noise.

I have also heard reports here on CC that they crew would tape a blanket or two over the door to add soundproofing.

We have not had an issue on a ship, but out experience was with connecting Grand Suites.

I did have issues a few times in hotels.  Not long ago with, I think was praying, loudly at odd hours.  I assumed Muslim.  I did call the front desk to ask them to be a little more quiet during sleeping hours.

The other time was the couple next door seemed to be celebrated with some we time.  And both were quite vocal.  🙂

Edited by SRF
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rg123 said:

Thank you all for your responses. I think I’ll keep my original cabin!!

One time, I could literally hear my neighbor type on their laptop. 

OP, if price is a huge issue, then get the lower priced room. 

19 minutes ago, SRF said:

The other time was the couple next door seemed to be celebrated with some we time.  And both were quite vocal.  🙂

I had to chuckle at my own memory of going to check out our modest inside cabin shortly after boarding on the Emerald Princess. It was quickly obvious the couple next door had decided to really check out their cabin. We could hear her she was *quite* happy. This was not a connecting cabin.  

On 1/23/2022 at 6:08 PM, derorim said:

When I started reading this, I was thinking the girls next door were your daughters. 🙂 

No, someone else's!!! 😉 I'm taking my daughter and her best friends on the AOS with connecting balconies, but that's completely different, and wouldn't mind yelling at them! HAHA

• Haha 1