How Will The Russia /Ukraine Situation Impact Europe Travels

mcrcruiser

I'm surprised we have not yet heard of cruises to the Baltic & Black Sea cancelled. Reading the paper & watching the news things are not getting any better in that area of the world. Hope things do not get out of control over there, where are the cooler heads? Right now it doesn't look or sound good.   

We had a Baltic cruise planned on Island Princess for June 29 visiting St. Petersburg, plus Latvia and Lithuania.  We cancelled it ourselves several weeks ago and planned different cruises on the same ship earlier than that one.  I'm shocked that Princess hasn't notified people of changes or cancellation yet.

I really wanted to see Latvia and Lithuania but not right now.  We've seen St. Petersburg before so I don't need to travel there again, especially with what's going on in that country.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonomaMountain said:

I also am surprised so many of us have not heard of cancellations for cruises that include St Petersburg. It seems cruise lines want to hold on till the very last minute.

We went ahead and cancelled our Baltic cruise ourselves.

I think more and more booked Baltic cruisers will do that. They might be better off cancelling St. Petersburg and showing where they will go instead. At least that would provide some guidance as I do not think anyone is optimistic about St. Petersburg being a viable port in 2022.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I think more and more booked Baltic cruisers will do that. They might be better off cancelling St. Petersburg and showing where they will go instead. At least that would provide some guidance as I do not think anyone is optimistic about St. Petersburg being a viable port in 2022.

I agree.  If they'd just plan a new, different place for the cruisers in place of St. Petersburg I think many people would decide to just go ahead with their plans and take the cruise.  Now, they're just losing people left and right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I agree.  If they'd just plan a new, different place for the cruisers in place of St. Petersburg I think many people would decide to just go ahead with their plans and take the cruise.  Now, they're just losing people left and right.

I think quite the contrary.  I think most people book the Baltics to see St Petersburg, I know that is why Mrs Banjo  and I did and frankly, the other ports were nice, but nothing spectacular like St Petersburg.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

I think quite the contrary.  I think most people book the Baltics to see St Petersburg, I know that is why Mrs Banjo  and I did and frankly, the other ports were nice, but nothing spectacular like St Petersburg.

I'm sure they did book the Baltics to see St. Petersburg.  But things have changed and it's not a good time to go there.  Surely the cruise lines will have to cancel.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

But under the present political climate, they are expecting St. Petersburg to be cancelled. I would think it is better to give an alternative. If their only reason to take the cruise is to visit St, Petersburg, they are probably going to cancel anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But under the present political climate, they are expecting St. Petersburg to be cancelled. I would think it is better to give an alternative. If their only reason to take the cruise is to visit St, Petersburg, they are probably going to cancel anyway.

I was going to wait and see before the final payment is due in 3 weeks but I'll be canceling our HAL Baltic cruise tomorrow.  It was going to be our first Back to Back cruise but we will stay with the TA from Copenhagen to Boston instead.

46 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

After today one has to believe it will be quite awhile before one can visit St Petersburg on a cruise ship.

I feel sorry for the private tour companies and guides in St. Petersburg who are not at fault in this and will suffer another season without income.

And of course one must feel even more sympathy for the people in the Ukraine.

• Like 6

Dh and I are booked for June 10 Baltic cruise out of Copenhagen. Big box ta requiring payment this Sat. Will call for an extension (they can usually give an extra week) in hopes that HAL cancels before we do. St Petersburg was the reason I booked this cruise (not interested in a substitute) ... first in 2020, moved to 2021 and finally 2022. Damn covid. Damn Putin.

Watching the news with deep sadness and horror at Russia's unwarranted attack. Prayers to the Ukrainian people.

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Maybe in a few days it will be time to find a deal on a Baltic cruise........and know (and expect & hope) it will not visit Russia.

IMO I don't think anyone will be sailing the Baltic for a while.  I have friends in Romania and Estonia and those regions are getting very nervous.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

IMO I don't think anyone will be sailing the Baltic for a while.  I have friends in Romania and Estonia and those regions are getting very nervous.

An invasion there would be world war 3.

• Like 1

We took an amazing Black Sea cruise in July 2013. Loved Sevastopol and Yalta in Crimea, but the tension there at the time was very noticeable.  We only saw Russian flags on buildings. 7 months later, Russia moved in.